1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The Closer - crappy camera work

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by lparsons21, Nov 29, 2011.

1. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Well it looks like the moronic camera man from CSI:Miami has infected other shows as well. Watching last night's Closer episode was painful with all the multi-split screens and quick view changes.

Good Lord!!! This isn't a music video! :mad:

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    You don't get it - it's latest trend in filming ; it's always induce one reaction for me - get the camera and hit on a head of the director and the cameramen ! It become idiotic fashion in the industry. They don't care of us - viewers, but the "trend" itself. :(

3. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Yes, but the episode was excellent.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    The pseudo-innovative 'methods' of filming (include the artificial 'unstable' camera handling - yeah, pseudo-realism is here :( ) killing all perception and turn off the actions and actors. :(

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    But gee, you just don't get the subtle message. Soon the studios can just hire anyone with an off-the-shelf quality HD camera instead of union scale [strike]cameramen[/strike] [strike]cinematographers[/strike] camera operators.

6. clueless

clueless Legend

Dec 6, 2004
    And how long before all actors are computer generated??

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The nice thing is they'll all stay young and beautiful forever.;)

8. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yes, the episode was excellent. But it sure as heck wasn't helped with the dagnabit terrible camera work. And I don't care if it is all the rage among some bunch of pimply faced amateur camera operators and the pros just feel compelled to do it too...

I DON'T LIKE IT!!!

Just call me an old fart and curmudgeon I guess... :)

9. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Some of the camera work was Buzz filming the crime scene, it looked like they edited what Buzz was shooting into the show, I kinda liked that. I too do not like those split screen shots but it seems to be the way TV is going. Just like those annoying screen bugs or water marks, I hated those way back when and I hate them now..

10. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    BTW I always thought the split screens was done in the editing room after the camera mans job was done. Cant really blame the camera man for what is done with his work in the editing room IMO.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Not to much more to complain about. Only four more episodes left.

12. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    As long as they don't back to the blue screens or the even worst dark night with hardly any lighting at all.

I'm also not a fan of the jerky hand-held or the around-the-world shot. Both of those are so damn amateurish, they drive me nuts.