1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The CNN dogs

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Chris Blount, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    So what does everyone think about CNN airing the terrorists tapes with the dogs getting the gas?

Quite frankly I think CNN is doing their best to sensationalize the whole thing. Shame on them. I found the video shocking with no real value. I think a simple "we found tapes with dogs getting executed" would have been enough.

2. kmccoach

kmccoach AllStar

Jul 6, 2002
    Chris I think you are absolutely right. First they said they didn't pay for the tapes and now comes word that they paid " the source" high five figures for it. I also heard that the source has a chance of being a member of El Queda. It seems like they are trying anything to regain their lost viewers from FoxNews. How pathetic is that?

Keith

3. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    As disturbing as it was, finding out what kind of chemical weapons Al Qaeda has in it's possession is vital to understanding how to protect Americans from these weapons.

I take limited solace in the fact that such experiements and previous efforts to get radioactive material suggest that Bin ladin's connection to Iraq are not very good when it comes to weapons. The Iraqis have an excellent chemical arsenal and expertise in using it. Bin Ladin would not need these type of experiments if he had that weaponry/expertise.

4. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Be that as it may John I see no reason to televise it to the world. It was sensationalism. And before someone goes there I would be far less happy about people being gassed.

5. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I agree with you Geronimo. It had nothing to do with the fact that it was a dog. While watching the video, I imagined what it would be like for a human which bothered me more than anything else.

During my 21 year tour in the military, they trained us at least once a year about chemical weapons and their effects on people but this is the first time I have ever seen an "experiment" on a living animal. Yes, even the military won't show this kind of stuff to the troops for obvious reasons but yet CNN brings it upon themselves to "educate" the world for the sake of ratings. I'm totally disgusted with them. Wolfe Blitzer should be ashamed of himself for even reporting this.

6. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    I think it a bit naive to assume that Fox News or MSNBC wouldn't have jumped at the chance to scoop an exclusive on these tapes regardless what they had to pay for them or if the source was possibily connected to al Qaida. And the sensationalist temptation to use the dog footage would probably be irresistible for any of the three too.

I also assume USA didn't develop our chemical weapons stockpile and expertise without killing a few dogs, rats and chimpanzees. This fact alone is not condemning. Of course they tested on animals, and dogs were probably the cheapest available mammal.

What I find most troubling is not the sensationalism, I expect that. It's the hypocrisy since 9/11 of condemning el Jazzera(sp?) and labeling them a tool of the terrorists for broadcasting previous tapes. I've had the feeing all along that this was more a case of envy and jealousy that they didn't have first crack at them. After all, couldn't Osama have intentionally let CNN have these tapes in order to send coded messages to his sleeper cells?:rolleyes:

7. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    I believe in full disclosure. People need to see firsthand what the evidence on those tapes show. I would not have been satisifed hearing Bill O'Reilly tell us he saw the tapes but they are too much to show on tv. And I echo the comment that MSNBC, Fox News or CNBC would have jumped at the chance to get a hold of these tapes.

Finally, I believe the reason that CNN scored these tapes is that they still have an intricate worldwide network of reporters gathering the news. Unlike some of the other cable outlets that have become little more than political talk show forums.

8. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002

Why ?

I would have learned just as much from having Paula Zahn tell me this as I did when Carol Costello hyped that Paula Zahn would show it first and that I should stay tuned for the next two hours to see it.

I don't need to see live executions and i don't need to SEE this to learn about it or from it.

9. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    But that's not how they operate, is it. CNN, Fox and MSNBC all just wasted several hours on the Van Damm/Westerfield verdict including polling of the jury and an hour of analysis before the verdict was even rendered reviewing what they viewed as the relevant evidence ad nauseum. I suspect they are a little disappointed at the guilty verdict as it effectively cuts the legs out from under this story. Unless there's a reversal on appeal, they'll never be able to express their righteous anger and indignation. This leaves O'Reilly and Abrams with nothing to rant about?

All these stories have more spin then the black hole at the center of the galaxy. Even though the Osama footage is highly edited to empathize the spin, I welcome the opportunity to see it rather then the "fair and balanced" opinion of some network or think tank talking head.

10. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Right now you know that the dog is dead. Although actually you don't since that could be faked too.

And it is how they operate when it comes to footage that is offensive in some way. Comparing it to a trial verdict is ridiculous and misses the point completely.

Do the stories have spin? Yes we agree there. However seeing the footage really does not change anything. The point is that they showed you this (instead of any other portions of the mountain of footage) because it was sensational.

You still don't have the whole story---or the full disclosure you say you want. You have not seen all of the tape. You have what they wanted you to see---which is to say what they thought would make you tune in.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Latest Al Queda fund-raising idea.

Make gawd-awful video tape; sell to stupid, immoral Americans at CNN. Make another gawd-awful video tape; sell to stupid, immoral Americans at CNN. Make another gawd-awful video tape; sell to stupid, immoral Americans at CNN...

12. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    The point here is that what we viewed represents the clearest, non-hearsay evidence of this group's experimentation with lethal gases or nerve agents. That's good, solid news reporting.

I wonder how many of the opinions stated here are formed because CNN aired the tapes first instead of Fox News. I suspect that if Fox News had aired them first, some of you would be commending Fox....:rolleyes: I could just imagine if CNN had not aired the tapes, the Fox News gang would be pointing fingers about how "liberal" CNN doesn't support the war on terrorism and suppresed this footage that supports the Bush administration.....

13. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Sure, but it's not like I expected anything more. That's why I try and catch BBC World on BBC America and Deutche Welle Journal on World Link. BTW- There's still serious flooding in Europe, southern China too I guess, and a former Rwandan general pleaded not guilty to ten counts of genocide at the Hague. Now I understand this isn't American cities under water and a few hundred thousand dead Africans isn't as of much interest or importance as the killer of a single California child, but it would be nice if they could mention some of these things in passing.

Mainstream press in this country are the shills of big business and government. CNN is no less a vital cog in the military industrial complex then Ratheon or the Department of the Navy. Sensationalism is there simply to catch your attention since most Americans could be diagnosed with clinical attention deficit disorder. What was I talking about?:confused: Oh yeah! I'm not saying British or German mainstream media is much different but at least it's a different government and sometimes different business interests being promoted. You've got to be EXTREMELY cynical and skeptical about anything you see, read or hear from any media, left, right, up, down, center, periphery, inside, outside. Then and only then might you get a "sense" of what's really going on. I venture that despite all the available media today, the average literate American was better informed one hundred years ago, at least less biasedly informed.

I think the dog thing was unnecessary too. But as you suggest, that will probably be their highest rated segment of the whole series. You and I know it so they knew it too and certainly factored it into the decision.

Don't believe anything you read, and only half of what you see.-Mark Twain

14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    " the average literate American was better informed one hundred years ago"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

:D :lol: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :lol: :D

:thats: That's a good one!

15. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Well, it seems that all the news outlets are covering this now. Last night on CNN, they were covering the intelligence being gleaned from the tapes and so forth, so there story is taking a different spin.

16. Dennis

Dennis AllStar

Jun 30, 2002
    Just out of curiosity did that "intelligence" come from this particular tape? Also did it come from intelligence agencies viewing the tape or the fact that the general public got to see it?

I am not "anti CNN" by the way.

17. The Tophinator

The Tophinator AllStar

May 13, 2002
    Satire and Ramble mode locked and loaded. As a FOX news watcher I say points scored for CNN for having the balls to show what is most likely a real tape of what El Queda members were doing prior to 9/11. Unfortunately the lefties instead of being upset that this is happening and could/will happen in USA instead have their panties in a wad that "The Devil" Bush won the election and since then all evil in this world is his fault. The dogs dying is not pleasent to see but it is reality. It shows that the El Queda are as evil as our leaders say and not just talk. There is so much more going on that the public is not aware of but like the video mentioned shows 'The truth, you can't handle the truth'

18. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I guess we all see this differently. I do think it interesting that some think the opponents of showing the tape are FNC watching conservatives and some that we are liberals with our "panties in a wad".

I guess this is one where we just have different opinions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.