1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Colony

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Doug Brott, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Anyone watching this show .. I've been checking it out and found it interesting (albeit a bit contrived).

2. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Here's a link to the warehouse being shown on the current episodes ...

Shooting Location

3. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I’ve watched every episode so far and say to myself after each episode, I’m going to delete it from my series link. But then I’m watching it next week:nono2:

4. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Yeah, this show has that "trainwreck" quality for me. I don't want to watch it, but I can't look away. When I open up the playlist and I see it there, I can't help myself. Such is summer programming, I guess.

5. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Same here, and I keep watching it. It's not really that bad of a show, just a little boring at times.

Almost everyone on the show is annoying too.

6. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    ;) Yep, it’s not bad enough to cancel and not good enough to brag to your friends about watching.

7. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    We gave up on it after an episode and a half.

8. DBSooner

DBSooner Legend

Sep 23, 2008
    I think it shows some good engineering at work and that's what keeps me watching. It's very hard to suspend disbelief though. You have TV cameramen following you everywhere and you really think "marauders" are going to hurt you? Yea....

The group doesn't have one likable person in it either.

9. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Tonight's episode featured what looked to be nearly a real fight .. I'm thinking the producers had some 'splainin to do at the end of that day.

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    No kidding.. The "actors" may have been told not to harm the volunteers but the volunteers certainly haven't been told to not hurt the "actors". Oh, and I love the voice over saying "but accidents will happen" right before the actress kicks the nurse.

The only thing that irritates me about this show is the nurse btw. How is it everyone else busts their butts building things, etc and she gets to make stupid dresses all day, put on makeup and her pumps, etc?

11. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That "voice" is Thom Beers .. The guy that produces both this show and Ice Road Truckers (and a few others).

12. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    It was a good episode last night

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Very cool. I'm surprised they don't have Mike Rowe doing it. :lol:

14. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    I like some of the show but the element of the other maurauding bandits outside should have been left out, it's cheesy and stupid. If it was real life these people would have been killed in a second.

15. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hard to say if within 30 days they'd have been killed .. The marauders are still people and while an animal like existence may be inevitable in a situation like this, I doubt it manifests itself in the first 2-3 weeks of destruction (which is where we saw the initial attack).

The show is definitely contrived .. In fact, at the end you will see that it is very clear that there is some expert help along the way. So this story is not in a vacuum. However, I've found it interesting. I've learned a few things along the way.

One thing that would certainly be useful in a post-apocalyptic society is access to power. I don't have 24 car batteries hanging around my house, but conceivably if small groups of people were to survive, car batteries would be plentiful regardless. Here in California, Solar Power installations are actually becoming more and more common, so access to significant, easily generated power is not far-fetched at all. In fact, 5-10 years from now it will probably be very common for many residential units to have free power available (again, here in California). This will make the inverters even more plentiful.

I'm actually glad I've spent time watching the show. It's not a definitive answer to the question of "what if ..." but it does help create a slightly better understanding.

16. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    For a time we lived off the grid primarily using solar and wind energy with batteries, some low voltage appliances and lights, and inverters.

My one observation is that care needs to be taken in discussions not to use the term "free power" as ongoing and replacement expenses are very real, particularly if you think your time is worth anything.

17. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    True, more like available power as at a minimum you'd have to collect the parts which could be both time consuming and a safety concern.

18. JMII

JMII Legend

Jan 19, 2008
    South Florida
    Best show on TV right now IMHO, but I love almost everything on Discovery. In addition, as someone who lives in S FL and has gone without power during a hurricane or two, the Colony's made up situations seem more plausible to me. After every major storm looting does occur, so people trying to break in is not BS. Stand-offs are common, but (like in the show) these situations rarely lead to people outright killing each other. Most people are too tired or hungry to actually fight that much, after some yelling and a few punches the loser (or the one w/out a weapon) quickly gives up and goes home empty handed.

I actually like that the characters (test subjects?) are all pain-in-the-butt types... as truthfully most people ARE selfish pricks. The Colony is what Survivor should have been - once you remove the ability to vote out the unpopular, stop the constant kissing up to the "leader" and the game show like reward elements, your left with how people really act when pushed outside their comfort zone living with complete strangers.

The show also has that Junkyard Wars fabrication thing going for it. Its always entertaining to see people building stuff (that works!) out of seemingly worthless scraps and misc tidbits. However in a real situation gathering food & information would be the primary day-to-day missions, not building solar arrays and electric cars.

The thing that is hard to understand is shear boredom that sets in: imagine no TV, no iPod, no cellphones... nothing but thinking about how its too hot to sleep every night, how smelly you are and always wondering what your going to eat (only to realize its beans and rice AGAIN). I'm amazed they are holding out this well, I would have left after 3 weeks to go exploring on my own.

19. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Just finished the last episode. Interesting perspective on how they ended it. definitely some manipulation by the producers on how it played out.

20. DBSooner

DBSooner Legend

Sep 23, 2008
    I loved the flamethrower and the camera inside the marauder's car. :lol: