1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

"The CW" on DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Alan Gordon, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    taz291819, an employee of a CW affiliate has posted on AVSForum.com that "The CW" has reached an agreement with DirecTV to provide SHVERA carriage... enabling those eligible for DNS a way to receive "The CW".

Currently, there is no word on whether or not there will be HD feeds.

Even though taz291819 posted this a few days ago, I haven't seen it posted on any DBS site, so I thought I would post it. The original thread on AVSForum.com is located here.

~Alan

2. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Who watches the dumbed downed shows on the WB-UPN-CW huh?

3. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I watch Smallville Thank You Very Much :)

4. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Well, I will be watching more shows on "The CW" than I will on NBC and FOX combined, so me for one!!

Also, over the years, I have read MANY posts asking when DirecTV would offer a Distant WB, and they never did (unless you have LIL), but they will be offering a CW.

~Alan

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I love Veronica Mars, thank you. And, I'll be sure to mention your line to Weevil.

6. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    well Mr Holtz I guess that you, I and Stephen King have something in common

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    My problem is that the WB is cable only in my area and I'm afraid that The CW will be the same. So let's hope DirecTV will offer The CW as a DNS or my CBS station (which owns our WB) will put The CW on a subchannel. No HD if that's the case.

8. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    I don't know why Directv doesn't just add WPIX for CW East and KTLA for CW West since it already carries the New York and LA stations in those cities anyway for the other networks. They could have already been carrying WPIX and KTLA as superstations, but they never will offer them.

9. cbeckner80

cbeckner80 Godfather

Apr 19, 2006
    That is one of the major things I miss from having E*, the loss of my superstaion package.
    :crying:

10. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    me too. I think CW will be a heavily-watched channel because I enjoy several syndication shows and WB / UPN original programming.

11. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    IMHO, the CW will still be an eternal #5, behind the "Big 4", but it will get a rating that is about 90% of what WB and UPN got, added together. I look forward to it, because in my area WB (right time) and UPN (dead of night) shared one station. It will be nice to not have to record UPN shows.

My Network, on the other hand, looks pretty lame. But, considering the NEWS Corp ownership, I would look for DirecTV to have it for areas unserved by an affiliate. In my area it will be on a local station's digital sideband.

12. Phroz

Phroz Legend

Jul 3, 2006
    OK, I have no clue what "SHVERA carriage" is, but...

Since I currently receive the WB and UPN locals from DirecTV, is it safe to assume I'll be receiving the CW come September?

13. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    It's probably safe to assume that you would receive the Standard Definition CW come September (a lot of the stations that are "becoming" CW are already broadcasting under that banner, I believe).

What I would certainly not count on seeing by September is receiving the High-Definition version of CW via DirecTv.

14. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    "SHVERA carriage" really isn't the right term, but what we are talking about is smaller markets. In most cases, if your market has 6 stations, no problem, as you would have one each of the six networks (NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS, WB, and UPN, with one of the last two becoming CW and one MyN). However, not all markets have six stations.

From day one until late 2004 (for WB) and still (for UPN) DirecTV never took care of small market viewers w/o those stations, while DISH did (a major difference between the products).

15. Phroz

Phroz Legend

Jul 3, 2006
    Yeah, the WB station here is becoming CW and UPN will be MyNetwork. I just didn't know if DirecTV was suddenly going to stop carrying the stations or something. :p

HD locals aren't available here yet anyhow, so that's not a concern.

16. cbeckner80

cbeckner80 Godfather

Apr 19, 2006
    I noticed this morning that the Atlanta station is using the CW logo.:eek2:

17. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    The former UPN station in the Twin Cities has been using MyNetwork and the former WB station in the Twin Cities has been using CW for a time now as well.

18. cybok0

cybok0 Godfather

Jan 5, 2006

here in pittsburgh the upn is becoming cw and wb is becoming mynetwork.
    I guess they arent keeping cw with one network and mynetwork with another.

19. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Maybe it's the network with more viewers/better ratings?

20. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Which station converts to what depends on ownership.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.