1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The Dark Knight Sells 600K on First Day Sales

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by smiddy, Dec 11, 2008.

1. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Wow, this is awesome. BluRay sales on this movie are making a huge statement to those folks thinking niche market. I think they should reconsider...eh? :)

More here: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2184

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    I'm not surprised whatsoever.

This is the 4th Blu Ray this year which started out with 1st day sales over 300,000...and this is now the biggest to date. They expect a Million to be sold within a week.

So much for "dead" technology...:D

3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I believe that The Matrix was the killer title for 1999 for DVD. Now, it's the Dark Knight for 2008.

Funny how both of those were Warner titles.

4. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers DIRECTV A-Team

Sep 22, 2006
    Actually this shouldn't be much of a surprise...

There are no other choices for HD and there will be a substantial number of either Blu-ray players or PS3's under the tree this holiday and what would be the obvious choice for a first title. Many HDTV's are being sold with a Blu Ray player thrown in. Every new release for Blu_Ray is an eagerly awaited event and this is an obvious winner...

They also sold 2.4 million normal DVD's the first day.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Disclosure: I have a Samsung combo player so all is good with me.

Truth be told, the real story will be in how many copies are sold by this time next year. Dark Knight should be a big seller on day 1 and during week 1... but IF this is the whole deal, and everyone who buys it has already bought it... then the sales on this title will not continue to pile on and this impressive 1st day/week will mean nothing a year from now.

Sustained sales is what Blu rays (and what HD DVD needed) to continue to grow.

I've lost track of how many Blu ray players (either with or without counting PS3) are in customers' hands now... but while 600,000 sounds like a big number it is a very small number compared to millions of people who have Blu ray players... and this is a blockbuster "gotta buy" movie... so if it doesn't get to 20/30/40% penetration of current Blu ray player owners, then what movie will in the near future?

I bought it on day 1. Lots of other folks pre-ordered. Some folks are even buying multiple copies to get the different cases/toys/whatevers from different stores.

I would like Blu ray to succeed. I'm just not super-encouraged unless and until I see more than 1st day/week blips in the sales radar.

6. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    the first DVD i purchased to go along with my $600 Sony DVD player back in the day was "Batman" starring Michael Keaton; I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $30-$40 for that movie. That was probably 1998. I was 16 and spent an entire paycheck for that damned thing. It was awesome though. ;)

Even though that was 10 years ago, that Sony remains the best DVD player I ever purchased; too bad it doesn't have component or HDMI. It had ZERO loading time and a wicked frame scroll wheel.

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
  8. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    I haven't bought it, yet! But if it is as good as they say, I will get the Smiddellette to buy it for me. He's good with momma and asking for things, when we don't really need it.

9. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Despite my general policy not to exceed $17 on any BD movie....I picked up this afternoon at Best Buy (Blu Ray, of course) on a price match of $22.86 (local Walrmart price).

To my pleasant surprise, it played beautifully on both my nice Panny BD player, as well as my recent Magnavox cheap BD player.

The imagery and sound are incredible.

10. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Ah, there ya go...you're making me drool!

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Not a pretty sight... :lol:

But yes...you'll like this in Blu Ray....a keeper.

12. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks! Where's my Smiddellette when I need him. I'll be back...

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Got it from WarnerBrothers site for about $18. Haven't watched it yet.

Is anyone that's watched it bothered by the transition from 2.35:1 to 1.85:1 during the movie?

14. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    You can change aspect ratios during the movie?

15. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    No,I don't think so. It changes between 2.40:1 to 1.78:1 automatically(you can't choose just 1 AR). I kind of like how it does that. The sound and picture is stunning.A great addition to any Blu-ray collection!

16. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    It did the same thing in the theater, correct? My understanding is that the portions that are shot in IMAX were puposely left in their OAR instead of converting them to the non-IMAX shots.

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    YUP....it was done intentionally for "effect".

18. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    Does anybody know if these are direct retail numbers or does it include thing like BB and Netflix buying loads of units.

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    The 600,000 number is what was shipped and dols by retailers, including online, retail stores, and others. Only those units sold are counted and reported back. As for rental companies' inventories...I'm sure those are counted, as they have to be prepaid.

Remember...this is the Blu Ray only number, and the rental folks (Block-- and Net--- don't get THAT many copies in Blu Ray.....not compared to the standard format anyway.

20. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    Zomg I must have this. ~nods at self and makes a mental note to hint at it for a anniversary gift~