1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The Date A Movie Was Released ?????????

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jibberyerkibber, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Aug 5, 2014 #1 of 29
    jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber Legend

Mar 1, 2012
    I recently noticed that in the GUIDE sometimes the date that a particular movie was released was omitted. Now it is such that the release date for some movies can only be seen on the second page of information. That bugs the hell out of me because the release date of all movies should be on the first line of the first page of information, as it always has been for the last ten years. What's worse, however, is that when I go to an actors filmography and look at the list movies for that actor, at least as of today on about five channels that I checked, nowhere is the movie's release date mentioned. That is outrageous. The date of a movie's realease is one of the most important pieces of information about it. The provider of DTV's Guide has been Tribune Media Services. Now it is Gracenote. I don't know if this is just a name change or a philosophy change, too.

1 person likes this.
  2. Aug 5, 2014 #2 of 29
    fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    That is what IMDB is for. When I look in the guide, I want the information that will make me decide whether I want to watch the program - not the historical detail. I agree that it should be on the second screen, if at all. Now, it is a television series, then knowing the first air date will tell me whether it is a first run or rerun, but even that is of secondary importance to me than the description of the episode is. IMDB is a great reference for all of the historical information.

1 person likes this.
  3. Aug 5, 2014 #3 of 29
    skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk Mentor

May 24, 2007
    I've noticed this too. Very annoying. Sometimes if you hit the "Info" button it will be there, but was much more convenient having it in the description.

1 person likes this.
  4. Aug 5, 2014 #4 of 29
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The biggest culprit is TCM HD. The sd channel has the date.

5. Aug 5, 2014 #5 of 29
    jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber Legend

Mar 1, 2012
    fleckrj IMDb is on my computer not on my TV screen. It take way too much time.

6. Aug 5, 2014 #6 of 29
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Missing information on a movie in the Guide when it's readily available elsewhere is hardly "outrageous". The evening news is outrageous, or rather some events being reported on are outrageous.

But, nice work to learn that Gracenote is now providing movie info. How did you come across that info, please?

1 person likes this.
  7. Aug 6, 2014 #7 of 29
    TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Agreed, have noticed it, too, and also find it quite annoying. After the title, the date of release is the single most important piece of information with regard to a movie and should always appear in such order.

1 person likes this.
  8. Aug 6, 2014 #8 of 29
    Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    No it isn't the second most important; actors are.
    But I believe it should always be readily accessible. I'd even call for exact date of release, not just the year, at least for films in the last few years.

Oh, hey! It's also fun to guess when a picture was released....

9. Aug 6, 2014 #9 of 29
    TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Nope, not even a close second. Given the title and date, I pretty much know who the actors are, particularly with the all-too-common remakes (AKA refakes). Date of release is far more critical a piece of information when determining as to whether or not I have any interest in watching/recording/perusing the film.

1 person likes this.
  10. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    http://www.tribunemediaservices.com/tms-and-gracenote-FAQs

http://www.tribunemediaservices.com/tms-and-gracenote-the-perfect-mix

Tribune Completes $170 Million Acquisition of Gracenote From Sony

Tribune Seals Gracenote Acquisition

11. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Doesn't hitting "Info" always give you the date on the 1st page? I thought it did.

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm confused.... I just hit 'Info' for 2 HBO movies and the year is right there. It's even right there in the guide. Also, what's so important about knowing the date released? The year isn't enough?

13. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    It is on my phone. It takes no more time than looking at the info screen on DirecTV.

14. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Doesn't matter if the data is elsewhere, it should be on the main info page. It is considered important information as titles get replicated by remakes and non-remakes but the same title in the same year is pretty much non-existant, so the "full" title of the movie is the title of the movie as well as the year it was made.

It is information that has been traditionally in the main guide and telling someone that the data they have relied on that is now gone is unimportant is a matter of taste and choice.

I find it weak that it is missing. How hard is it to get that right?

15. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Can you give an example currently where it's not there?

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Most, if not all, the TCM HD are not on the main info page last I looked. As I reported above, it is on the TCM SD guide data. Not sure if it is in further info, but it shouldn't be required to go there. The format as long as I have had DirecTV for movies was the year was right after the title.

17. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    As hard as it may be for TMS aka Gracenote, aka.__________ , to get info right on hundreds of thousands of titles. They goof. People get upset and blame DIRECTV® when they could contact TMS. I said it wasn't outrageous, not that the date wasn't quite important. It shows in the right spot for probably 95% of the time.

In response to a post by Rich:

"Doesn't matter if the data is elsewhere, it should be on the main info page. It is considered important information as titles get replicated by remakes and non-remakes but the same title in the same year is pretty much non-existant, so the "full" title of the movie is the title of the movie as well as the year it was made.

It is information that has been traditionally in the main guide and telling someone that the data they have relied on that is now gone is unimportant is a matter of taste and choice.

I find it weak that it is missing. How hard is it to get that right?"

18. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    With such an encyclopedic knowledge of film, one would think you'd know the date from the title and key actors! No?
    I agree the date should be there, but it's not a big deal when the tags are occasionally misplaced, wrong or missing. Contact TMS/Gracenote!

19. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I agree that it is not outrageous but it is more than a minor annoyance to some of us who use the data (and have been trained to use it).

I am on the fence on blame. I don't really care in this case who is to blame. If DirecTV fields a complaint on a case like this, they should pass it on the to supplier and get it fixed.

BTW, this is more than an occasional error. Those happen (although with movies they should almost never happen since the data is in databases already). As I explained, the same movie on the same channel (just HD versus SD) will have the date information different on a pretty consistent basis. That is not just a one off mistake in a field of hundreds of thousands. That is a systemic problem, that may exist with the data provider, or the link or the reformatting process.

It really isn't up to the customer to track down who made the error. Just as it would be incorrect for the customer to blindly "blame" DirecTV or anyone else without full knowledge.

20. jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber Legend

Mar 1, 2012
    Yes, oftentimes the date of a movie's release is mentioned on the second page of INFO that you get by pressing the INFO button. Call me lazy, but my life is about fewer and fewer steps, not more and more. The release ALWAYS used to be on the first page as the thrid thing mentioned after the title and the airing time. Example: Movie, Drama. (1994), and then some of the actor's names. Also, again when I checked the filmography listings for about 20 actors and actresses, the dates of the movies associated with them was not posted anywhere. I say that is outrageous. Someone wanted an example of a movie where the date of release was not mentioned at all. As of 6:00am Pacific this morning, I could not find a single example. In fact I also noticed this morning that a noteably higher percentage of movies now have the release dates on the first page. Maybe my emails to Gracenote are working, I'd like to think anyway. Ha ha. Now put the release dates in the filmographys.