1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Day After Tomorrow - Left wing propaganda?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Chris Blount, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 1, 2004 #1 of 60
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Does anyone get the impression that the new movie "The Day After Tomorrow" is a left wing wake up call for global warming?

I saw this movie yesterday and while it was very entertaining, it seems to be laced with left wing propaganda that did nothing to enhance the story. I think I even heard someone say the line to the effect of "Maybe we will learn our lesson this time". What??? Are they saying that the cavemen caused the last ice age? I also got a kick out of the line "I've never seen the air so clean".

I have a question for you folks up north. Did the theater erupt in laughter when the immigrants from the U.S were crossing the Rio Grande? What about when the news report mentioned that the U.S. erased all of the Latin American debt in return for allowing Americans to cross into Mexico? Down here, it's the funniest thing anyone ever heard.

While I think this movie is meant to be pure entertainment, I did catch a hint of an agenda which disappointed me a little. The director (Roland Emmerich) is known for his large scale disaster movies (Independence Day, Godzilla, etc) so I was expecting a fun roller coaster ride. Instead I was greeted with yet another preaching session about how the world will end soon if we don't do something about the environment. If I wanted that, I would have turned on CNN.

On the plus side, it was nice to see a more character driven movie instead of a "Let's use a nuke to cure this problem" type story. I like disaster movies that focus on how people deal with the problem. I guess that's why I enjoyed "Deep Impact" so much.

Overall though, I would still give the film a thumbs up. It really is a fun movie as long as you go in with the idea that it's also meant to preach about what could happen if global warming gets out of control.

2. Jun 1, 2004 #2 of 60
    HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    It's a MOVIE. Perhaps it was the opinion of the screenwriters and director that it would be appropriate FOR SOME CHARACTERS to come off as "preachy", since there really are people who do that. Now it has been noted that much of the movie is sheer fantasy, but having "tree hugger" characters is an actual realistic touch. Would you prefer a more "right-wing propaganda" approach where there are no pollution controls, no environmental laws, toxic dumps left all over the place, air so smoggy children can no longer go outside without masks, waterways and oceans filled with dead fish, the water requiring immense filtering to make it drinkable... yet politicians continue to say everything is OK and nothing is wrong? Move along, there's nothing to see here, no dead fish, no dead people, no barren wastelands... Would be a pretty boring movie. :D

3. Jun 1, 2004 #3 of 60
    mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Independence Day was great but this movie is a bomb. I expected this to be like his other films.

4. Jun 1, 2004 #4 of 60
    HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    If you just wanted to see the same thing, you could have saved a bunch of money and just rented his old movies on DVD.

5. Jun 1, 2004 #5 of 60
    Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    I dont mind clean air,Clean Water or normal weather.But why do i have to pay for it?Why should the IRS take my money to improve the weather? Why should states force people to take their cars to have emissions testing?Why dont the evoinmentlist make the wealthy pay for this huh? I think airlines should follow emissons not normal cars like chevys or saturns.I also think 18 wheeler trucks should go to emissons as well greyhound busses.I think factories who polute the air like the pic down to bottom go though emissions too.So the question is why should the average joe have to dig out his wallet to pay for this?
    [​IMG]
    Thats why i vote republican.

6. Jun 1, 2004 #6 of 60
    JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Chris - thanks for the review. I like a good disaster flick so checking this one out with one of my daughters should be a lot of fun. I don't mind the preaching on global warming (I am somewhat liberal) as I'm one of those people who believes we need to leave this place a little better than we found it.

7. Jun 1, 2004 #7 of 60
    Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Anthony then you should pay for it.Not me!

8. Jun 1, 2004 #8 of 60
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    I think factories who polute the air like the pic down to bottom go though emissions too. So the question is why should the average joe have to dig out his wallet to pay for this? Thats why i vote republican.

*boggle*

Which political party changed EPA regulations to delay retooling of polluting plants? It wasn't the democrats. Clinton had sued many industries to force them to upgrade, but Bush worked to protect them instead. This is why the average joe pays for the environment but industry doesn't. Republican's protect industry, pushing the burden onto us.

9. Jun 1, 2004 #9 of 60
    JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Well, Steveo, if you don't want to contribute your fair share then take a hike and you can take your idiotic posts along with you!

10. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    I dont mind paying for the military to keep us free.I dont mind paying for new roads.I dont mind paying for importaint stuff like education and medical.But what i do mind is unnessary bullshit like Welfare,Evoinmental crap and the social secuirty amin.I dont mind Income taxes.But i do mind is sales taxes and gas taxes.You realized youre taxed when you go to the store,You get a hamburger,You drive and you pay taxes on your property.Something that you own you pay taxes on it.Thats why i vote republican.When was the last time when american truly lived free?Answer=Back in the old west.You didnt pay taxes when you eat or drink.You didnt even pay property taxes nether.You didnt pay a horse tax too.TV wasnt taxed in the 50s or 60s.Now you pay taxes on cable and on satellite.And guess what.Liberals wanna tax the internet.Now democrats want to tax everything.Thats why you gotta vote republican to repeal these stupid assinine taxes.

11. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    You really need to educate yourself. You only show your complete lack of understanding when it comes to complex issues. Your complaints about environmental laws, for instance, are way off. It is the REPUBLICANS who consistantly push all the burden on individuals and off of corporations. Bush has done more to negatively affect polution control progress than anyone in recent history. He has given a "freebie" to the big corporate poluters, but is seeking to increase the requirements on diesel automobiles, lawnmowers, weedeaters. So in effect, the big factories get to continue on their merry way while those of us who mow our own lawns have to pay more.

And the big deal about making cars give off less polution is that we've discovered in the past several years that doing so also results in better fuel efficiency, which would reduce our dependance on foreign oil. Look at the improvement made in Southern California. Los Angeles used to be a joke because of the massive smog. But because of Californias strict requirements on cars and other motor vehicles, Los Angeles is now far cleaner than many other metro areas which haven't done as much. On many days during the summer months, Atlanta has worse smog and haze than Los Angeles EVER had. Houston has become the smog capital of the USA because Texas has such loose regulations. Did you realize that on certain days in Atlanta and Houston that it is actually dangerous for children or elderly or weakened peoples to be outside simply because the air is so toxic? On certain days the schools cannot let the kids out on the playground because they all end up coughing and sneezing. People with asthma are in serious trouble, and there is a massive increase in the number of children with asthma in the most poluted cities like Atlanta and Houston.

It isn't just a democrat versus republican issue. You really need to educate yourself more and become an informed person. I'm not trying to say democrats are always right or republicans are always wrong. It isn't a black/white world.

12. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Im very educated.I know when my money is being wasted on bullshit.Now,,You dont need welfare dont you?Comon really,,,Why cant these people just fill out an job application? And you dont need social security when you retire.Why can you just put 15% of your earnings into a savings account or in an IRA and when you retire youll have a enough to live on.And even if have a pension just put 15% your paycheck to an IRA or into a savings account.Why should my check get deducted on FICA taxes?Now About the polution,,Why dont congress and senate leave the publics automobiles alone?If you wanna do something about clean air get the airlines,Buses,Trucks and put them in emissions.Plus im all for tougher laws on cooperate power plants or any industrial plants who polute the air and water.Theres a solution for trash.Crush trash items into tiny pieces and turn them into engery.The germans are burning trash to produce electric power why america cant have that idea?Instead of nuclear power why not produce solar and wind power?Solar and wind power combined can save electric blackouts in california and other sunny states that have over 200 sunny days in a year.Im for passing a law to make every business and homeowner to install a solar pad and and wind blades on their property for states have over 200 sunny days and they will recive a 50% tax credit on their electic bill every month.For states dont have much sunshine and a lot of rainy days dont need to comply.And Start creating hybrid cars and whoever buys a hybrid car gets a $500 tax credit for the first 5 years and agrees to keep the car for 10 years.If they sell their car before its 10 years old they will pay a $600 a year penalty.But if they dont want the tax credit then they can sell the car anytime they want.This is my idea about the energy bill

13. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    I enjoyed the Day After Tomorrow, although I will say I thought the first hour was very promising, and the second hour was pretty much a let down and very predictable.

As for the liberal connotations. Hollywood is liberal, most screenwriters are liberal. Therfore, agenda or not, most of the words they put in people's mouths are going to be from their prosepective, the liberal one. That is why conservatives in movies get portrayed like "Bob Rumson" in the American President. It's unfortunate that this type of bigotry exists in Hollywood, but very predictable.

14. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    A lot of focus is put on cars being more efficient and less poluting because the millions of cars we drive everyday contribute more polution than many large factories. It wasn't factories causing all the smog in Los Angeles. It isn't factories causing the toxic air in Atlanta and Houston. It is cars.

And again, you keep ignoring the fact that it is Republicans who are responsible for NOT putting any pressure on corporations to clean up. Republicans give the corporations huge incentives to NOT clean up, they pass it off on you and me instead. So your blind support of everything Republican simply doesn't compute.

15. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Why dont congress and senate leave the publics automobiles alone?

Im for passing a law to make every business and homeowner to install a solar pad and and wind blades on their property

Geez... you complain about rather minor costs imposed on automobiles, but then you advocate huge expenses for every homeowner?

Now I'm in favor of alternate energy, but at current solar panel costs, it would take me over 30 years to recoup the costs on saved electric bills, and there is no telling if the product would last that long.

Solar power has to drop to about half the cost it is today before it becomes feasible for mass installation.

16. junki

junki Godfather

Feb 19, 2004
    But remember This

Attached Files:

17. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    There was a time when the Mediterranean Ocean didn't exist and was covered with lush forests and jungle.

There was a time when the Arctic and Antarctic ice sheets didn't exist and forests extended all across the north instead of frozen tundra.

The entire Earth wasn't underwater.

Not even close.

And this was after the dinosaurs and the rise of mammals.

Worry more about the mega-caldera waiting to blow its stack out west under Yellowstone in a blast that will pretty much wipe out the entirety of North American life as we know it in one single moment. The periodicity shown in geologic history suggests we're right about due for another eruption.

Worry more about the impact of an asteroid with Earth. Although evidence is sketchy, there's some indications that there's a periodicity with this as well working on the order of thirteen million years and we're in the zone for another hit.

But stop worrying about a sudden superstorm that will overnight turn everything outside the tropics into a freezer. There's no evidence of it ever happening and it would require the laws of physics which govern all the Earth's weather to suddenly take a holiday and allow storms to act as though wide open oceans and wide open continents were one and the same thing, and as if there was no planetary rotation or day-night cycle and all the inertial, kinetic, gravitational, convective, conductive, and radiative things that come into play among others didn't exist.

We're still in an ice age folks. This is what is called an interglacial and only continued warming logically would bring us to a point truly outside of an ice age as opposed to a merely warm period in the middle of one.

Seems that human life evolved through a whole load of ice ages and warm ages.

Are we all extinct?

No.

So stop worrying.

Yes, this movie is preachy condescending cr*p. Unfortunately, it will be taken as gospel by mushy brained fools who get their science education from Time Magazine and Jeremy Rifkin among other useless idiots.

You know, I seem to recall Hollywood daring to condescend and preach to us for a long time now on their perceived threats. Like biological warfare in The Omega Man, atomic warfare in The Day After, and overpopulation in Soylent Green not to mention the endless critique of modern western civilization as being inherently given to dehumanization such as in THX-1138.

And when their outlandish, illogical, and totally fallaciously fantastic prognostications of the future never do come to pass, they claim that their warnings caused us to change to a future where it didn't happen and they are then responsible for making us all safer.

This is akin to warning someone not to cross the street at a certain time as aliens from an undocumented dimension would run them over in their interdimensional Cooper Mini and then claiming you'd saved their lives when they paused long enough to think you a loon.

So what else is new?

I file this away with all the other curiously and not coincidentally chosen disaster material where the enemy is us, or the big bad government, or military, or military-industrial complex, or some other shadowy and nebulous group of the day's targeting for opprobrium like Alar, asbestos, nuclear war, breast implants, radioactive waste, and probably one day the music of Justin Timberlake.

Sure life has dangers. But imagining extreme scenarious that make tremendous assumption of illogical suspension of scientific facts at convenient junctures isn't going to help.

18. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    It is still JUST A MOVIE!!! Back away from the exaggerated emotional vituperation long enough to realize it is first and foremost designed to be entertainment. If it had been designed to be some sort of lesson, I'm sure with the knowledge and technology available it could have been made to be far more accurate in method and circumstance. But, that wasn't the motive. Sit back, eat some popcorn, and enjoy the ride.

I haven't seen Republicans this anxious since the IRS started looking at withholdings for the servants.

19. junki

junki Godfather

Feb 19, 2004
    Ohhh Thats funny! LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. Spruceman

Spruceman Guest

Leftist Propaganda? What about the hidden message in Independence Day. The one where we need to set up a Supreme Headquarters Alien Defense Organization? As for us really being free -- We're not even allowed to watch a TV station from outside our DMA in order to protect the big-money boys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.