1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dependable Roof Antenna

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Skeeterman, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Skeeterman

Skeeterman Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    Nothing like the old roof antenna when a ice storm hits the area. Both HD and SD Dish satellite antennas are covered with a heavy coat of ice today. No signal from Dish, so, I have to use the 20' roof antenna to get the locals stations. The signal is not as great as I have the roof antenna cabled though my Dish 211K receiver, and I don't know why or how the signal works when cabled thru the 211K. However, with this setup the signal gets restricted somehow. I must search for some type device to attached and heat the Dish antenna...if there is such a thing.

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Is it always reduced, even on clear days? It could be degraded by ice also.

Yes, there is. Sort of like heating tape that attaches to the dish.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    out there are a few such heaters - check Internet; and the forums had a few threads dedicated the problem, if you'll read you'll find different solution and recommendations ...

4. Skeeterman

Skeeterman Legend

Jun 24, 2003
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would worried about LNBF icing and would use HS38FHELEMENT.
    Ice buildup on LNBF is more critical for a reception.

6. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Just out of curiosity, if you have antenna in on your tv, why not run it direct?

I have mine set up this way so when dish goes out during thunderstorms here I just switch to antenna in and can at least watch locals. It has come in handy more than a few times.:)

7. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    satcrazy is right.........
    Just plug your antenna in to the back of the Digital TV, make sure the TV is set to OTA or Antenna mode, and do a scan.
    The DISH receivers often are made to prevent you from seeing OTA stations when the dish isn't getting a sat signal.

8. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Not true! I've lost all satellite signals many times on my 622 and have always been able to watch the OTA signals. You do need to use the menu button to break the "complete signal loss" message. You go to menu/guide and avoid all satellite channels - tune to a yellow colored channel.

9. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    OK,
    Just thought it would help op bypass problem completely, plus, if he has the "input" option on TV, he just switchs to that. One and done.

Oh, by the way, channels pulled in by roof antenna excede the amount that is provided by Dish [ at least for me it does] yet another bonus.:)

10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Yes they do, in more ways than one:

1. you get the subchannels, some of which are worth watching (Antenna TV, MeTV, THIS, and Bounce).

2. The High Def channels are not compressed

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would say less compressed by other kind H.262 [MPEG-2] and using more bandwidth ~17 Mbps; instead of H.264 [MPEG-4] and 8 Mbps (average).

12. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Well lets not forget if one loses sat signal an the guide data is lost, then you won't be able to view the ANT thru the 211.