1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Documentary Channel inks DIRECTV deal ‎

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by lee78221, Mar 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. lee78221

lee78221 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
  2. beachmonkey

beachmonkey Legend

Jan 16, 2010
    Channel 263 on March 31 ... hmmm wonder if it will be an HD channel.. will be bunched in with BBC America, A&E and Bio .. so the Channel location makes sense.

263 is currently a GSN Game Lounge placeholder

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    This sounds like it would be a good watch, as I like documentaries....but only in HD. Although, when I think about it, we DO get tons of them now.

4. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    I used to get this channel OTA. It's most defnitely not HD, and usually it's the same 5 or 6 documentaries over and over.

5. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    The Doc Channel can't cost too much. It has run as a subchannel on the local PBS station in Nashville.

6. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Not familiar with this channel. Is it like the old Discovery Times channel? Loved the docs when that channel was around.

7. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Feh! I think DirecTV should have a rule on national channels. Only add them if there's an HD channel available. I'm becoming more and more of an HD snob. Unless there's something I REALLY want to watch, I don't even stop on the SD channels when surfing any more.

8. Retro

Retro AllStar

Nov 27, 2007
    Ditto!

9. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    From the B&C article:

"The 24-hour digital TV network that airs independent documentaries..."

More than a few of which deal with climate change (formerly global warming). ;)

10. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    It was on DISH as part of their PI channels, which was how I was getting it, since I'm on a locals only pkg. However, DISH changed it so you needed an AT/DL pkg, so I no longer get it. :(
    I did see some interesting stuff on it when I had it.

11. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    So instead of a ESPNU HD as promised (yes I know its on D12, but a broken promise is a broken promise no matter what the excuse is) we get another A&E clone. :mad:

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Sheesh you would think that ESPNU is going to feed the poor and heal the sick :) There's a lot of outrage about that channel not being here!! I will probably never watch it as I'm not a college sports fan, but I guess a lot of folks are :)

13. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I don't really watch ESPNU much either but its the principal of thing. If you promise a channel by a certain date, deliver it! Breaking promises like this makes people not trust D*. End of rant. Now

:backtotop

14. Big Dave 09

Big Dave 09 AllStar

Oct 8, 2009
    Agree 100% They said they would deliver and so far, nothing!...and, good deal with the documentary channel for those who will watch..

15. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Its not like anything interesting is going to be on ESPNU in the next few months. Basketball is down to its final four. The mens hockey tournament finals are going to be on ESPN2...what else is there really?

16. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    A channel I will not watch ever because it's not in HD.

17. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    You sound like a broken record with you constant whining about "broken promises.":lol:

18. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    More crap. But still no Comcast SportsNet Northwest.....3 years now, and while we get 100s of channnels, how many really get viewership?

19. coolyman

coolyman Legend

Oct 4, 2007
    :nono2:

"Independent" means funded by George Soros.