1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The End of 6o Minutes??

Discussion in 'The OT' started by juan ellitinez, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
  2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Yeah, sure...just like Dan Rather's dubious reportage
    and subsequent resignation was the end of CBS News.

Not hardly, Juan, not hardly.

:nono2:

3. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    Wallace conducted hundreds of interviews, but he arguably made the most impact with his February 1996 interview with tobacco company whistleblower Dr. Jeffrey Wigand, which contributed to the revealing of industry secrets that ultimately led to billions in settlements.

Wallace's shelf includes 19 Emmy, three duPont-Columbia University Awards, and three Peabodys, and the veritable host of others.

Mike you will be missed

4. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    No he won't. As a partisan hack for the Brady Campain, and other Gun Control groups, who posed as a legitimate journalist, he will not be missed.

5. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    CBS Evening News is in a tail spin ... I suspect All Network News is on the way out

6. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    It is still a top 20 show. Losing the one reporter who has been there since the beginning will hurt but I think that they will survive. I think that the 30 minute nightly news wrap ups have lost much of their purpose but news magazines in general and this one in particular are in a different category.

7. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Isn't Mike Wallace like 107 years old? It's time for him to retire.

8. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ...and just what is wrong with that? :confused:

:D

9. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    I've got an idea. Let's do a positive commentary about the media. How 'bout Fox news, or Pat Robertson's 700 club?

10. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    We've shredded Robertson to death over the last year. He's not worth picking on until he says something outlandish.

Foxnews? Man that O'reilly guy is great. He's the most humble, honest and dignified newscaster in the business.

11. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Sorry Nick, wasn't poking fun at old people, my parents are both approaching 80. It's just that he's been around so long I figured he'd want to retire and take it easy.

12. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    OK, we'll wait 'til tomorrow.

13. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    Call that o'reilly guy and get fox police on your tail, opps got to go fox police are at my front door

14. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    end of 60 minutes? Well we can hope so, but I think Geronimo is at least partly right. The viewership will keep it going for at least another year or two. But network news viewership in general. Worse than that, the credibility of network news (including news magazines like 60 Minutes) is eroding faster. It used to be that CBS news, with old Walter Cronkite at the helm was the pinnacle of news credibility. Now CBS has slipped to the bottom among a slurry of muck. And they show no real signs of changing their act. So I give 60 Minutes another year or two before its demise. CBS's own network news could be gone in 5.

15. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    Yep the end of network news we will get news like American Pop Ideal Fear Factor The Ends Of the World hosted by missa Bush ETC.

16. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    Naw, they'll just expand Wheel of Fortune to an hour show...

17. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Spoken like a true NRA member!:sure:

I remember Mike Wallace from my childhood in Chicago. He starred on a radio program called "The Crime Files of Flamond". Back then, before he changed his name a bit, he was Myron Wallace.
    He was married for some time to actress Buff Cobb, daughter of Irwin Cobb. They hosted a show together called "The Mike and Buff Show".
    Wallace will be remembered as an excellent investigative reporter.

18. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Is there anyone else who was an actor, a game show host and a reporter? Even Hugh Downs only gets two out of three (but was a talk show announcer/sidekick too).

And yes he will be missed by many. the simple fact that we are talking about a top 20 show ending because of his departure shows that.

19. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    To deviate a bit from the main topic here: When Hugh Downs was a boy announcer at WMAQ radio in Chicago, he did some bit acting on some shows. I remember him being featured as a musicologist named Dr. Fennimore Fuffner (sp?). I believe the show was hosted by Dave Garroway.
    (This REALLY shows my age!) He left Chicago for New York about the time NBC started the Home show with Arlene Francis in the mid fifties. For a time was the announcer on the "Tonight" show when Jack Paar hosted it. He was later tapped to replace John Chancellor on the Today show. An excellent biography of Downs can be found at http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/D/htmlD/downshugh/downshugh.htm

20. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks Cholly. I can't imagine that now (with the exception of a commentator or newperson playing themselves)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.