1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The end of the gravy train?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by rmingee, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmingee

rmingee AllStar

Sep 11, 2006
    Well, I finally got tired of all the messages here from people who have been customers for much less time than myself and who did not pay $1000 for the HR10 when it first came out, but who nonetheless were able to get a free HR20 and just pay the cost of shipping simply by calling and asking.

I originally called my "A List number" on the membership card they gave me, and the first lady didn't seem interested in discussing the issue with me, so transferred me to "someone else". After 15 minutes on hold, that somone else said the most they were authorized to do was give me $100 off, bringing the price down to $199. I thanked the lady, and said I was hoping for more.

Next, I called the toll-free number for retention that was posted here. The gentleman I talked to there said that as of 2 days ago, it was true that many people were getting them basically for only the cost of shipping, but that the offer had been terminated, and the most they could do now was $199 spread over 3 months. I told him I was pretty disappointed that many people who had given a lot less to them had been given a better deal than me, and that I missed out simply because I didn't call in time. I was extremely polite, and didn't take the situation out on him. He agreed, but said his hands were tied. I asked him if it would help to try back again in a few days, and he said it couldn't hurt.

It's funny, I started out figuring it was worth a shot to try, and that if they told me no, I had lost nothing but a few minutes on the phone. Now I'm pissed. The fact that they would run this offer for a limited time and then cut it off with no exceptions made for the specific customer situation seems really unfair to me. I think I'll try calling back tomorrow, and if I get the same answer, I'll ask for a supervisor. I'm not going to threaten to close my account, because I have no intention of doing that, or lying about to get special treatment. I'd simply like to see an acknowledgement of that loyalty.

If anyone is still reading this rant by now, there is actually a question, and a point to my post: Has anyone gotten a better deal than $199 from retention in the last 2 days?

Thanks,
    -- robert

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    According to the information I have been given:

If you currently own an HR10, then the HR20 is $99... and you get to keep your HR10-250.

I have gotten that information from at least 4 different people, that have been VERY reliable.

3. bgbruce

bgbruce Mentor

Sep 12, 2006
    I posted my experience on Friday in the "What are the deals..." thread in the other forum - and I got this for less than $199. That was more than 2 calendar days ago, but less than 2 working days ago.

4. luv2fly3

luv2fly3 AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    I received a pretty good offer including a free HR20 as a swap of my owned HR10 just today. Not sure why you aren't getting the same. I've been a customer back to the Primestar days and own my HR10.

Lars

5. oldguy1

oldguy1 Godfather

Aug 22, 2006
    Apparently D* is still not giving the CSR's all the info on the upgrades. I called and was told that I would have to swap out BOTH my owned and leased HR 10-250's.

Both CSR's swore the 10-250 would not work on the new 5LNB.

HA!

Told both sweet gals where they could put their HR20-700.

6. rmingee

rmingee AllStar

Sep 11, 2006
    But what if the only reason we don't have one is because it failed, and it cost DirecTV nothing to replace it for me? (That's rhetorical, BTW -- I'm not expecting you to answer me, Earl :) )

Have you heard that within the last 2 days? Or was it prior to that? If they pulled this deal because it was costing them too much money giving away so many machines, the right answer would have been to "raise the bar" to qualify, not just stop it altogether.

-- robert

7. gwrentch03

gwrentch03 Cool Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Earl, I was one who received a HR20 for free and mine was installed last week. The question I have is what would happen if I wanted a extra one for another high def tv ? Would I get that for 99.00 ? Has anyone here added a extra one ? To talk to the above posts, When I did call I received a run around and even was accidently hung up on. Called back and told the 1st level CSR and they said they were going to transfer me to retention and just tell them I was going to go to dish. After a bit of discussion with retention and being a customer for over 10 years they gave it to me free well 19.95 shipping. I think you have to act like your very unhappy and then they seem to cave in. I would continue to try if I were you.. you have nothing to lose. Good luck... Gwrentch03

8. bgartz

bgartz Legend

Jun 23, 2006
    I called today and the deal was $99 plus 19.95 for handling. I was told this is the deal for having the HR10. They then offered me $10 off my bill for 12 months ("Since I was one of their best customers"). At no time did I ask for anything, I just asked about getting the new box.
    I have my install on Thursday.

9. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Trust me, I hear you!

I went through the CSR death spiral several times trying to get ANY sort of deal for the HR20. I kept being told "it is ONLY available in LA". I finally bit the bullet and bought it at Best Buy. I had a $100 gift card, which reduced the price to $199. When I went to activate the box, they gave me a $150 credit, $20 off per month for 6 months, a free AT9 dish and installation.

In this past Sunday's paper, Best Buy included an ad that offered the HR20 for $199, which included a $100 rebate. Have to wonder if this is yet another Best Buy exclusive and D* won't beat that price.

10. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I received mine for $39 on Sunday, if the promised credits are made to my account.

I called Retention directly, as that was the number they left on my answering machine after I emailed them, asking for a deal. This was my second call--first time, about a week ago, they could do nothing for me.

I was super nice and did not mention what anyone else was getting, just looking for help in saving money. I have only been a customer for two months, but I do have TCPremier and ST.

11. LaCosaNostra

LaCosaNostra New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    I ordered the HR20 today ( installed in DFW market on 10/8 ) for $99 and a 2 year committment. They threw in Super Fan, the 5 LNB dish and installation. Started out asking for $299. Also stated "one HR20 per household for 6 months " ; however, I could get another one from a retailer ( CC or BBuy ).

I am an "A" lister ( whatever that means ) and have the HR10-250. CSR perked up once I said I bought it recently.

12. cybrsurfer

cybrsurfer Banned User

Sep 17, 2006
    I received two HR20 receivers for the cost of $99.00 + $19.95 handling for a total of $118.95. The installer came earlier than scheduled and ran extra cable to second set. I Already had a AT-9 on the roof aligned properly. The installer came Friday September 15, 2006, exactly 24 hours after I placed the order by phone. The installer mentioned that my istall was the last on his schedule for the day and that it was slower than what he expected for a Friday.

13. Ben_jd

Ben_jd AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    Spoke with Retention and got $199 plus $40 off HD programming over next 4 months and $60 off of regular programming over next 6 months. May have been able to get it lower, but wasn't going to waste the brain cells on it.

*NFL ST subscriber for 8-9 years, 2nd year as SuperFan, HD programming for 1 year

14. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Shouldn't this thread be in the ordering and installation subforum?

15. tochill

tochill Cool Member

Nov 19, 2005
    They gave me a free HR10 a month ago and then a free HR20 a week ago. I called yesterday and they are letting me swap out my 5 HR10's for $99 each and i get to keep the HR10's

16. rmingee

rmingee AllStar

Sep 11, 2006
    OK, you guys were right, I just needed to be patient. I called back again tonight, and they gave me one for just the cost of shipping, and will be bringing it with them when they come out on 9/29 to install my 5lnb dish. I would have been willing to pay more (but not $199), but I wasn't going to argue when she offered me that :).

-- robert

17. rtphokie

rtphokie AllStar

Sep 16, 2006
    Is HD programming free for 4 months a customer retention deal, a Best Buy promotion, DirecTV promotion, HR20 promotion, an A-Lister promotion or was the activation lady just being nice?

18. Phil T

Phil T DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Yes! :D

I see it is a Best Buy promotion, but I was also able to get it with my HR20 order.

19. Ben_jd

Ben_jd AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    She didn't volunteer it; I had to push (gently and politely) for every concession. If I didn't have work to do, I may have tried to get an even better deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.