1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Expanded Platinum Package premium overlay

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by phrelin, May 8, 2009.

1. May 8, 2009 #1 of 20
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The $10.00 Expanded Platinum Package premium overlay appears to now contain the following (listed by channel order, descriptions based on Wikpedia entries, links are to the station's web site):
    • MavTV - programming focused towards men 18-54 age (since I'm over 55, I guess I'm not interested???)
    • Universal HD - programming includes a mix of films, dramas, series, sports, specials, and performance arts from the NBC Universal library
    • BET J HD - programming showcases jazz, plus to a lesser extent some Caribbean, R&B, neo soul, alternative hip hop, go-go, electronica, and alternative rock
    • Logo - programming focused for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community
    • Fashion TV - programming focused on fashion and modeling
    • HDNet Movies - programming includes a variety movies and a monthly "sneak preview" of a film just prior to its theater release
    • MGM - programming includes movies from MGM's celebrated 4,000-title library
    • Crime & Investigation Network HD
    • World Fishing Network - programming dedicated to the world of recreational and sport fishing
    • NBA TV - self explanatory if you know that the NBA is the National Basketball Association
    • NHL NETWORK - self explanatory if you know that the NHL is the National Hockey League
    This is a curious group of channels.

2. May 8, 2009 #2 of 20
    reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    Platinum is a ripoff. Never will get it. Since most of those channels show commercials and a couple show informercial paid programming garbage.

3. May 9, 2009 #3 of 20
    pitflyer

pitflyer Mentor

Jan 25, 2008
    As a hockey fan I do like NHL Network, but just like I upgraded my package to include Versus for the playoffs, after the season is over I'll probably downgrade. I've had it since it was part of the 'generic' $20 HD price but now that its optional $10 I'll probably dump it.

Thanks for creating the list phrelin. It is an odd mix for sure.

4. ehb224

ehb224 Legend

Apr 3, 2008
    It's almost like dish is trying to recreate Voom with this strange assortment.

5. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    Wow I'm going to have to look at that. I don't watch any of those and I'm paying for them.

6. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Is there a channel like Equator? I know there's The Africa Channel HD.

7. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    While there were repetition issues with VOOM, all the programming was commercial free and in HD. Monsters HD is many levels above Chiller, now that Chiller has adopted the NBC Universal model of running the same program 8 hours a day from 6:00 AM to 2:00 PM MDT (ala USA, SciFi, Slueth, et. al).

World Sport HD was closer to SETANTA Sport than MavTV. MavTV is more like Spike, without movies and repeats of CSI. Or even like WFN, instead of fishing, it is directed to the NASCAR crowd who also goes fishing and hunting). I am waiting for a Would Hunting Network to bridge the two. Looking the the MavTV schedule it seems that the same shows are repeated several times a day.

MGM HD was good at one time, it sort of complemented TCM. But now MGM-HD has the bothersome practice of slipping movie promos (sometime commercials) in the middle of the movie and running commercials between movies. They are looking more like AMC everyday and it is only a matter of time that it will be just another commercial filled channel which happens to run movies (clone of AMC) than HDnet Movies, FMC or TCM. Universal HD just runs like USA, SCiFi, etc.; commercials and program blocks; with a movie here or there.

Out of the list above HDnet Movies, NHL, NBA, Logo are the top tier. MGM HD, Universal HD and BET J are "watchable" as the next tier. WFN, Fashion TV, MavTV, C&I are just recycled fare than can be found on Speed, Spike, CMT, RFD-TV, WE, E!, et. al. None of the channels on the above list truly qualify as "Premium HD", except fro HDnet Movies. Now, if DISH put Starz HD in the Platinum, like they put Encore HD in the Gold (or is it Silver), then Platinum would be worth the extra tier status and $10/month cost.

VOOM is gone, thanks to DISH on one end and Cablevision on the other. But, if DISH is trying to reconstruct VOOM offerings then they fall way short. So, when DISH added channels last week, Speed HD, FX HD and LOGO HD were worthwhile additions. There are sometimes good shows on Logo (if one is willing to get past the lifestyle issues). But, MavTV and FastionTV may end up being as popular as WFN.

8. ehb224

ehb224 Legend

Apr 3, 2008
    I have a lot more 'lifestyle issues' with Spike, MavTV, WFN, and Speed than I do with Logo!:lol: (particularly Spike--the channel for adolescent boys.)

9. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    I think ya'll are missing the point of what platinum is. At some point, platinum may have very well meant premium but now, platinum means niche. It is the place that those type of channels go to so that 95% of the subscriber base does not gripe about having to pay for them. The place for channels that need Dish alot worse than Dish needs them.

10. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    I would also like to mention that I have never seen a fishing show on Speed, Spike, CMT, RFD-TV, WE, or E!. Maybe VS or the outdoor channel.

11. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    I get these since I am an Absolute customer. The only channel I watch often is MGM, and find it one of the better "HD" movie offerings. HDnet also has some very good Sunday concert content (and a lot of cra@). I think I'd pay $10 for it if I switched to another package.

Dish just has too many options... they should just charge $1 per channel, plus equipment, and let the customer decide what they want... I'd still probably subscribe to 50 channels.

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    How true!

13. HarveyLA

HarveyLA Legend

Jun 8, 2006
    I just dropped Platinum. The only channel I watched was HDNet Movies (occasionally) and it's not worth $10/month. I'm putting that into Netflix/Blu Ray option instead.

14. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    I have the platinum package. I do watch a few of the channels, HDNet Movies, MGM HD, universal HD, and isn't Palladia also part of the platinum package too?

One thing I do not understand is that Universal HD is a premium channel(supposedly) why in the hell do they edit for content? It irritates me terribly. I know both MGM and Universal have commercials, does MGM also edit for content or is it just commercials. I have not noticed any edits but that doesn't mean they don't do it.

I could live without Universal and MGM, but I really like HDNet Movies and that is primarily why I keep the package. At least I can find something on most of them to watch so I am not keeping it exclusively for HDNet Movies.

15. nataraj

nataraj Godfather

Feb 25, 2006
    This whole package stuff is stupid. It is there to help media conglomerates make money.

FCC should mandate a la carte.

Let the marketplace decide which channels should stay and which should die.

16. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    "... and isn't Palladia also part of the platinum package too?
    [/QUOTE]

Palladia (which I enjoy) is actually part of BronzeHD (or greater).

My 17 year old daughter enjoys the new Fashion TV addition to the Platinum package.

Try the package for 3 to 6 months and see if you like it. You can always drop it later. :)

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As long as MGM doesn't become the mini-infomercial channel that Hallmark has become, I'll be relatively happy. I was trying to watch a movie last night and Hallmark had a 2-4 minute infomercial every few minutes along with some other conventional ads. Not a very happy situation for the prime time viewing hours.

18. satjay

satjay AllStar

Nov 20, 2006
    I think its a bit strange that they have the SD channels of NHL/NBA in sports pack but the HD in Platinum

19. commodore_dude

commodore_dude AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Yup, it's a ripoff.

20. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I'm disapointed with MGMHD. It's strange they promote in the middle of a movie.. They should promote themselves at the end of each movies. I agrree with you that these channels are a ripooff, but I love HDNETMOVIES, so I'll keep this tier and hope they put some worthy channels up.