1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The Firm

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by majikmarker, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1 of 37
    majikmarker

majikmarker AllStar

Feb 27, 2005
    Arlington, WA
    Based on the ratings, I guess I already know the answer to this question but....Did anyone else watch this? It was awful!

I'm wondering because during the opening on-foot chase around the Lincoln Memorial, I could have sworn I saw two dimentional cutouts (or Photoshop-type additions) instead of actual "extras".

Did anyone else notice this? or was it just me/my TV, or how it was shot.

It seemed like it was made on the cheap but I have never noticed something like this on other pilots.

Just curious...

2. Jan 9, 2012 #2 of 37
    cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    I didn't notice any cut outs but I liked the show.

I did, however, see a couple of Cylons though. I'll keep it on the Series Link for a while I think.

3. Jan 9, 2012 #3 of 37
    klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    I strongly dislike ending the opening scene with the jump back six weeks.

The rest was just OK IMO. I'll keep it on the recording schedule for now but no telling when I will get around to watching any more. I read somewhere that NBC ordered a full 22 episodes so it will likely be around for awhile.

Do like the ex-Cylons though. :)

4. Jan 9, 2012 #4 of 37
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Since I haven't watched it yet, I'll check.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    OK, picked up the "cutouts" effect - my wife saw it faster than I did. I believe it was the result of the deliberate overexposure of that scene as when I froze it and advanced it in slomo the people were clearly extras.

We enjoyed the premier. The show has a solid story, good writing and superb acting. The ongoing plot is likely to be complex while weekly stories I'm sure will be like any other criminal law practice procedural.

As I noted in my ratings thread, if you didn't see the premier with all the backstory I don't know how you're going to pick everything that's going on. Whoever at NBC bought this show deserves congratulations. Whoever set up the schedule is an idiot.

6. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    NBC just can't catch a break. The overnight ratings were a disaster, maybe in part because of the OT in the Denver/Pittsburgh football game. But you'd think they could get more people to sample such a high-profile show with a well-known story.

I'm beginning to think NBC could put on nekkid supermodels and everybody would still watch an NCIS rerun on CBS ;)

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    For some perspective on the ratings, it was NBCs lowest rated regular season drama premiere ever, and 46% lower than the premiere of The Cape.

8. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    You may be right about that! :p

We watched The Firm last night and enjoyed it. But we also enjoyed Prime Suspect, Life and Studio 60, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

9. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Rats. I missed recording the premier due to an uncaught schedule conflict (I could easily have removed the conflict by cancelling a cable-channel program that would be repeated later). No problem, I'll just grab it from NBC VOD -- except, at least as of last night, it wasn't available there. :nono2:

They just continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

10. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Watched about 30 minutes........it's a no go for me.

11. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Full reair Saturday night of both hours.

12. shuye

shuye AllStar

Oct 20, 2008
    We missed the premier also, but noticed that it is ariing again this weekend. The second episode and future episodes are now on Thursday nights starting this week.

13. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    My wife liked it, but I thought it was oppressively dark and foreboding. Of course, it was the pilot, so there was no room for character development. Without it, I can see the potential for the same traps that befell "V" and "Flash Forward" -- an overinsistence on a relentlessly dark story arc without interesting characters.

14. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    I think it would have made a better one hour show. Did anyone notice Josh Lucas is a ringer for Grisham? Surprised it did not have the Southern nuance seen in his books.

15. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Need I be interested?:confused::confused::confused:

16. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    It's worth a look with these two involved (IMO of course).

Callum Keith Rennie & Tricia Helfer - both Cylons

17. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Bad news, the ratings for the Thursday episode were down to a 1.0 - even lower than Prime Suspect got in that time slot before it was cancelled.

Is that the sound of an axe about to swing?

18. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Watched the pilot and the first episode today (snowy weather here, so it's a stay-at-home saturday...) Yeah, the pilot was slow, especially the first hour and the double flash-back at the beginning was a bit annoying. But I'd say the show improved in the second hour and in the first one-hour episode.

It's difficult to judge the show without thinking of the movie. The show doesn't have the exhilarating tension of the movie and in some ways the visual references to the movie only make it worse. I also think the actress playing Abby, the wife, is fairly weak here, with no real definition.

And as much as I like Callum Keith Rennie, his Ray is nothing like the Ray in the movie - hapless bumbler vs. smart and streetwise. In several scenes I thought he upstaged Josh Lucas, which a supporting character shouldn't do.

Sounds like a hate the show, but I don't really, it's not half bad, but it just doesn't stand up to what was a roller-coaster ride fun time of a movie.

19. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Looks like The Firm is being sent to Saturday night to die quietly. Link

I've only seen the pilot, have the rest recorded. Is it worth bothering with?

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Personally I don't think so. It's one thing for a great series that just can't get the ratings, but The Firm just isn't one of them.