1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The first year of DBSTalk

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Chris Blount, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    With the move to the new software, I thought it would be fun to re-post what it was like back in 2001-2002 when the site was started. Back then, having 200 members was a big deal. :)

It's interesting to note that after founding the site on June 22, 2001, I didn't bring on any moderators until August thus I take the full blame for starting this site. LOL

By the way, check out web.archive.org and do a search for DBSTalk. Some of our earlier layouts were interesting.

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Chris, what a great story. The timeline of events really tells the story of how DBSTalk.com started. I started coming here a long time after you started it and appreciate all of the work you've put into making this the place it is.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Chris, I well remember those days -- in the beginning dbstalk.com was the wild and wooly west of dbs sites.

Users discussed (argued) politics and religion with few restraints, and a few got booted for outrageous posts and comments, even a few threats. User names like Jonstad, an avowed atheist, and Bogy, a Christian minister, duked out their differences before our very eyes. I recall one user who, in exchanges with yours truly, got so out of hand that he was banned for life. Then there was the provocative user who claimed to be from the planet "Nevele", the eleventh planet from the sun -- what a kook he was! -- wonder what ever happened to him?

Ah, the good old days...we've come a long way.

4. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Don't forget D. Collins' predecessor site either!

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Great read. Thanks for sharing that Chris.

6. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Thanks for sharing Chris.

Certainly the site has evolved over the years in amazing ways.

While I've been aboard for about 9 years...it doesn't seem like that long. My first 2 years, it was a reference place for information for those of us new to satellite TV. Over time, it became much more.

Taking a step back to see things from a wider perspective...DBSTalk has had a great ride so far.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That's a great article, and a great way to see where everything started. As for me I started lurking here around 2004 and made my first post about 7 years ago. This was a very different place back then, and it's been a pleasure to see how it's grown.

8. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Thanks for sharing that! It's fun to know the history and background of things you actively participate in, such as this site. Like so many others, I came here trying to learn how satellite TV worked and how to make the most of my newly upgraded DVR. I never looked back.

Thanks for making this board a great place to learn and have fun doing it!

9. JimMariner

JimMariner Just Another Ol'Salt

Sep 19, 2007
    Thanks for that write up Chris. It's always interesting to read how things grow into the creature they are today.

I thank you and all the mods/admins that are here now or that have come and gone over the years, for all the hard work they have done to make DBSTalk what it is today. I know by my own experience in the operations of forums the kind of work that takes place behind the scenes. I know it's not easy either.

(_)D Here's to Many More Years of DBSTalk !!!

10. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Is Bob Haller still around?

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yep, over at SatGuys and still posting.

12. Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I have been around since the beginning and it keeps getting better all the time. Thanks Chris!!

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I missed the first couple of years but the last 10 have been fun.

14. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Thank you Chris for the insight to the early days. Another forum mod/admin here and I completely understand what goes on behind the scenes. I even had the joy of a software change out and I have to say it seemed a lot smoother here.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    What this site has become is phenomenal, not only the wealth of knowledge of its members, but the partnership with both DirecTV and Dish is truly astounding.

16. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Nice writeup Chris. It's pretty cool to see how it all came to be. :)

Mike