1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The Future iTV

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Sixto, May 6, 2013.

1. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    So when Apple finally announces a real Apple TV, one with a TV screen, what are we thinking that they will announce?

All streaming, or linkage with content providers?

I keep wondering if maybe they'll do some deal with AT&T (U-Verse) and/or Verizon (FiOS), similar to their cellular arrangement, where they pass through hardware, but then I wonder if AT&T and Verizon would consider that as losing their hardware control? Or maybe they could view it as helping them gain market share?

A deal with DirecTV would give them true national coverage, but based on Mike White's comments a while ago, it doesn't appear that would happen.

Interesting times ahead, curious what others think.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I am thinking more hybrid, a tv with all the regular connections, with an appletv interface, and controlled by siri.... Utilizing HDMI control to acess and control other devices via siri, when possible.

3. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    It would be nice if it has a way to deliver linear HD thru the interface but that may be too complicated, otherwise I'd guess it would just be similar to the current Apple TV but without the need to switch inputs. I'm hoping for so much more then that.