1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The Goldbergs

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by TomCat, Sep 29, 2013.

1. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I'm on the fence.

I feel the father is miscast, but he had one of the best lines: "Who runs like that?"

There were a few laughs, but a lot of misfires.

The cast is mostly pretty inept, except for the mom, who is a really great character played by a good actor. Even with that 80's blowout hair and those ridiculous getups, still kinda hot. Probably because of her attitude. She is smart, confident, and has blazed her own style in how to raise these kids. She reminds me of another great sitcom mom, Jane Kaczmarek's Lois from Malcolm in the Middle. This girl has the potential to be even better. Definitely an interesting character with lots of promise, but the actor may have to realize that in her next project, as there isn't really much here to hold an audience of any size for very long. The kids and the father are just ciphers, and the storyline is pretty lame.

That said, it never hurts to have George Segal involved; he was always great in Just Shoot Me, and Fun With Dick And Jane (the 1977 version) is a great comedy movie, basically because of him.

If Last Man Standing fails, as it appears to be doing, and this doesn't hit, this would be a good Friday companion piece for The Neighbors; it has somewhat the same silly tone and probably appeals most to that audience.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We'll see how it goes. As I commented in the ratings thread it seems like a SNL parody of "The Wonder Years."

[​IMG]

3. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    We loved the pilot and found ourselves laughing quite a bit during the show. Loved the end where they showed the actual video footage from the 80's compared to the scenes recreated in the show. I hope this one stays funny and gets ratings to last. My wife told me I am just like Murray and I am still trying figure out if it is a compliment or an insult.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

4. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    It is failing because the replaced the oldest daughter. Her replacement is horrible. Quit watching it after that.

I did enjoy the Pilot, but then again I was a teen/college in the 80's so seeing all that "stuff" is cool.

And yes, the mom is hot.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    They replaced her 2 seasons ago so that doesn't explain the dip in ratings this year. I do agree though, the replacement is horrible.

6. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    The dip in the ratings COULD be explained by the prevalence of political humor on the show which seems to have been ratcheted up at a time when, quite frankly, a lot of Americans are SICK of the topic.

If I want to hear Republicans complaining, I can turn on the news.

I've been a fan of Tim Allen for a long time - but the first few episodes of LMS just seem to have turned up the partisan humor a notch or two.

7. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    The Goldbergs is the best new show this season. It's just funny. This week's show was on Reebok Pumps and Poltergeist. FUNNY!!!!