1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Great American Food Truck Race on Food Network

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by olguy, Aug 26, 2010.

1. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Wow. I typed in the header and up comes a pop up labeled "Here are the similar threads we found:" and it lists the 5 threads. And the similarities are some of the words in the titles match but I doubt if the content does.

Anyway, is anyone else watching? I caught the first 2 and it's amusing. I mean French Cuisine from a roach coach? And crepes on another one? Cajun food? Oh well, it's fun to watch what Tyler Florence puts them through.

2. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Wasn't going to watch it but the kids insisted and so far I am happy that I have. What really scares me is the prices they want for their food. I'm sorry but $10 for a hamburger is more then I am willing to spend (especially knowing it's from a roach coach and how sanitary they are). I won't even talk about most of the other cuisines being featured

3. balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
    Two things.

1. The term "roach coach" did not derive from their sanitary conditions. It started because many lunch trucks play the song "La Cucaracha" when they arrive.

2. These trucks are simply kitchens on wheels, and are neither more nor less sanitary than any other kitchen.

3. OK, three things. Roach coach is fun to say.

I've eaten at several trucks of this new wave of mobile cuisine, none on this program though, and the taste and quality has been exceedingly high. I'm not afraid to pay a good price for excellent food.

In case anyone thinks this is a passing fad, it's just the beginning. There's a 50 truck gourmet food festival this Saturday.

ETA: I see three of the trucks in the great race will be there: Nom Nom, Crepes Bonaparte, and Nana Queens.

4. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    When I was young (still in High School) and worked in the construction trade over the summer, I ate at quite a few mobile kitchens in which the name 'Roach Coach' was quite justified.

Yes, these trucks are no different then the kitchen at McDonald's, Chili's, etc. with one major exception. The health department routinely inspects Brick and Mortar restaurants and can shut them down for putting the community at risk while these traveling kitchens are not.

5. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Perhaps that's true in Georgia, but the local health department does inspect food trucks in Los Angeles County (here's their webpage about the Vehicle Inspection Program).

6. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    That must be a more recent change as when I lived in L.A. County, they were not inspected.
    My worst experience with a 'Roach Coach' was not in L.A. County but rather Cochise County, Arizona

7. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006

There is also one in Boston.