1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Great VOOM Irony

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by logray, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logray

logray Godfather

Apr 8, 2005
    Does any one else find it somewhat ironic that there is a GIANT advertisement for VOOM on the home page for www.dishnetwork.com, yet they only offer it on a wing satellite 61.5 - which not everyone in the US is able to receive a signal from (like me :mad: ) due to it's low orbit from west coast? Despite this glaring advertisement, in all the forums I've read, it seems like there is a very low priority at dish on making these channels more available - i.e. move them to 105, 121 or mirror them to 148? Some might speculate that this advertisement is to make the old VOOM customers feel more like they are at home and loved, others (like me :nono: ) feel that it is a government consipiracy.

From what I've heard, if they shuffle some things around, there might be room on 148. And then at least they have a west/east coast fairness thing going for them... not that I'm expecting them to do this anytime soon or at all for that matter.

2. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    You do realize The Voom service has only been available from 61.5 since its inception? I fail to see the irony.

3. logray

logray Godfather

Apr 8, 2005
    The irony is that 61.5 is not a true conus bird - so even when voom was just voom, not everyone could get it - and now that dish carries the voom channels - and they have more than one satellite but only offer these channels on one wing satellite - they are advertising the service heavily (i.e. on thier main website), yet this satellite is not available to everyone in the US (especially those on the west coast due to it's low orbit).

In other words, now that the Voom channels are being carried by Dish, and they have the ability to serve additional much desired High Def channels to a much wider population than Voom could - even though they have this huge advertisement on their home page - they don't seem to be putting a priority on making these channels more widely available from an engineering perspective. Almost like their marketing arm is not connected to the same body as the engineering arm.

4. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    I really think Dish wants to minimize the number of new HD customers. When the MPEG-4 switch is underway, and all the HD channels are in MPEG-4, and all the HD is on 110/119/129, then you'll see a REAL push by Dish to promote VOOM. The website blurb IS there for former VOOM subs, so they don't go somewhere else in the meantime.

I'm sure that they see all the existing, and any future MPEG-2 HD receivers as a liability, because they'll have to be swapped out with new MPEG-4 receivers relatively soon.

5. datwell

datwell Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 26, 2005
    Yes. Charlie is a sharp businessman. The Rainbow 1 & Voom opportunity came along and he jumped on it - even though he really wasn't ready to push it hard just yet.

da Doug

6. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    The thing about dish is that most of their SD channels still look really good on an HDTV. Some (CNN for instance) don't look as good as others (STARZ for instance) but the 811 and 942 (the most likely IRDs for a new sub) upconvert the 480i picture to 1080i or 720p (depending on your TV), so it is still a desirable service. In general I think that a DBS SD picture looks a lot nicer than a SD cable picture. (in general) While this whole MPEG4 conversion my cause some complications later on, better to get that new sub now and get their $$ every month, and have to change them over to MPEG4 later.

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    He likely wanted the satellite more than the channels. Lets face it, a modern satellite, already proven good, already in orbit. Too good to pass up.

He does't have to worry about: it taking years to be built once ordered, Risking a lauch failure and the insurance costs that go with it, The satellite being defective once up there, and its already in a slot where he can use it. I think that the one caveat is that Dish has to distribute to the Voom channels to any other Voom customers (cable or satellite companies). Just like Sky Angel's channels are also on a Dish satellite for distribution.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That isn't likely, it is stated fact. E* bought cold the satellite and an uplink center. The investment in the channels came along later and was a secondary deal.

JL

9. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    The transponder license was a biggie too

10. Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    I see no irony. BTW, it's orbit isn't any lower or higher from the west coast than it is from anywhere else. It's elevation, relative to a given point is what varies, and it is low from the west coast. BTW #2, I can see it (and receive a strong signal) from the west coast. Have you done a site survey?

11. RichMert

RichMert Mentor

Jul 14, 2003
    i am getting a great signal in OC CA logray. even better than the signal i had from the 148 dish. you should let someone try to find it for you then there is no irony there is only VOOM coming from the one satellite VOOM always came from.
    i was upset VOOM wasnt mirrored on 148 at first but a week or two later when i found 61.5 there was no problem.

12. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    What is funniest is that Charlie helped create Voom. When he was trying to get the merger with Directv through the Fcc. He was in talks to give up some of the transponders at the 61.5 sat to help create a viable third satellite competitor . Because the Fcc didn't want to have Dish be the only satellite provider. Now he is simply reclaiming the transponders and the new competitor he helped create. I think somehow this was the plan all along. Everyone said that Charlie should partner with a content provider. Now he has. I was looking for someone like Disney , but till then Voom/Cablevision will do.

13. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Charlie is not reclaiming any transponders. They always belonged to R/L DBS. Charlie did use some of them under an STA which said to test their satellite. They spent no money or effort to allow people to know where their channels were actually coming from. That is, you still cannot check the signal level on those transponders with a properly connected and setup receiver using the 61.5 setting. :)

14. logray

logray Godfather

Apr 8, 2005
    details details... well yes, anyways, from where I am in 95949, pointing a dish at 95 degrees and 14 elevation means pointing it straight into several mountian ranges and directly into the side of a big hill...

15. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    No problem to get the V* channels in SF Bay area either logray. I get them stronger than 148 also. Did you try to receive it and have a problem or something? What section of the state are you in??

There were v* customers all over California, unless you have an obstruction of some kind, it shouldn't be a problem.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It was RainbowDBS that had the dream of taking over E*'s assignments at 61.5 to *add* to their own assignments and make E3 their satellite. They promised to honor the deal with SkyAngel as well - if the FCC would approve the whole package.

If RainbowDBS's proposal would have been accepted, "Voom" would have had 24 transponders of their own at 61.5 plus use of 6 of SkyAngel's assignment and would have used R1 and E3 to serve their subscribers. The other satellite company would have been the combined Dish/DirecTV system.

JL

17. RichMert

RichMert Mentor

Jul 14, 2003
    sorry to hear that logray. i guess you are one of the unfortunates that wont be able to see VOOM for right now. if you are patient i am sure as more people demand HD the channels will move to another satellite for all to enjoy.
    hey my darn dish is pointing in my pool but i figure if dish wants to put a satellite in my pool or even bounce a signal off my pool its ok with me.
    good luck logray

18. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    If a sat were available E could mirror Voom at 157 for western subs

19. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ...and "if" pigs had wings

20. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Why the negativity, E has content it wants to sell, and some ready customers out west who cant see 61.5 they also own 157, but are short on sat capacity.

157 is just another way to fill the need, and E is required by law to provide some service from that slot.

it will likely go on superdish but it could go to 157

geez people call me negative:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.