1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The greatest pain you have suffered.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by cj9788, Feb 19, 2011.

1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I recently broke my nose in 2 places hurts like hell.

But not the worst pain i have been through.

My List from most painful is as Follows:

Kidney stones circa 1992.
    Broken ribs last year
    Last but not least my broken nose.It hurts to laugh and god forbid i start sneezing.

So I was just wondering fellow DBSTalkers what is the most painful medical experience you suffered?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The bill I received for my wife's surgery!

3. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Dislocated elbow.

4. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Experiencing my wife's 3:30AM seizure. My worst pain is seeing those I love suffer.

I broke my leg in 2 places and tore all the ligaments in my ankle when I was 20. Seeing my wife in that state was a million times more painful.

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    My L4 vertebra exploding due to a tumor, giving me a broken back and paralysis from the waist down. After my back was rebuilt, I had to learn to walk again.

I was on morphine and its relatives for well over a year. Now I just use ibuprofen and it works for all but a few days a year. Then I'm back on the hard stuff.

The pain was pretty severe when it all started. I walked around without a L4 vertebra for five days while I was misdiagonised and before I became paralyzed.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Learned what they mean by "ugly to the bone", when I had my radial head removed. I wish I'd had a morphine drip.

For the first week I couldn't get more than 45 mins of sleep at any one time, before I needed to find some other position for my arm to reduce the pain [it would never go away, but would be less if I found the transient magic spot].

Another thing I noticed was my brain was telling me the pain was from the wrong place. I'd broken this arm 30+ years earlier and my brain was telling me the pain was coming from where it had been broken before and not from the other side of my elbow where the surgery had been.

7. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    1. Cellulitis in my left shin last year, apparently caused by scraping the shin on a high school bleachers bench. Hospitalized for three days, then home care IV for ten more days. Now being treated for lymphedema on that leg as a result of the cellulitis.

2. Ladder fall (1990) while pulling speaker cables in a suspended ceiling 12 feet above concrete floor, resulting in shattered left heel/ankle and compression fracture of T10 vertebra. On permanent partial disability.

Of the two, I think the cellulitis caused the most pain. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

8. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Generally any of my migraines, but the worst was Halloween weekend 2005, which actually caused strokelike symptoms (like the reporter that everyone's making fun of) and was pretty much the worst 10 hours of pain I've ever experienced.

Also, they wouldn't give me painkillers because they were actually convinced that I was 26 and having a stroke.

9. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Kidney stone, closely followed by a liver biopsy.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Well - the gallstones I had in 1995 or 96 laid me out really quick, but for out and out PAIN - I have terrible sinuses (very prone to bad sinus infections) - and when it is really bad - the pain is approaching migraine levels - for days and weeks at a time - personality altering pain.... a root canal condition is only acute in comparision to this...

11. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    As barryb & the OP can attest to...KIDNEY STONES! They hurt worse than:

Scoliosis corrective surgery where metal rods were placed along my spine.
    Falling head first off a raised toilet chair on to a tile floor without any ability to raise my hands to break my fall.
    Gout pain in my elbow.

12. Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Gall stones in 2003. The pain lasted for four hours and then subsided by the time I got to the doctor. He sent me to a surgeon who told me I could get the pain again at any time or never again and recommended surgery. I opted not to have the surgery and the pain has never come back, but if it does he told me to go straight to the hospital.

13. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Ictal Headaches (headaches associated with seizure activity) have to be the worst thing I have experienced. Ictal headaches are often confused with migraines and can last for days.

14. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Blocked coronary artery. Urgent care said the EKG indicated I was "trying to have a heart attack" The blood work came back negative. It was an angiogram that showed the blocked artery. I had a stent inserted and all has been well. (knock wood)

15. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I get Kidney Stones every couple of years for the last 12 years or so, but to me they're not so bad.

I've never had a broken bone, but have had several hundred stitches over the years (mostly when I was a kid).

The worst was when I was on vacation about 20 years ago in the Bahamas. Was in an egg toss competition for a free bottle of rum. In the finals, I was catching and my partner threw a bit short (we were at about 50 yards). I ran up and dove for it in the surf, but landed on my shoulder where the water had compacted the sand so it was like concrete. Caught the egg, but dislocated my shoulder. Didn't want to go to the doctor in the bahamas, so just fashioned a sling for a few days. Pain was excruciating most of the time. To this day, if I throw a baseball or football or anything for more than 10-15 minutes, my shoulder is very painful for about 2 days.

16. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    1. Gout - now gone
    2. Abscessed teeth
    3. Dislocated elbow (twice)

17. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You're an anomaly. :lol: I've never met someone who's thought they're not so bad. I have a fairly high pain tolerance & rarely go to doctors, but the stones turned me into a wuss. I had no idea what the pain was until they scanned me.

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Gallstones, no contest.

Root canal with insufficient anesthesia and cavity filling with no anesthesia would be second, and a sinus infection that wrapped itself around the nerves in my teeth is third.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

19. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    BTDT - nothing like have the dentist put a needle into the ROOF of your mouth to correct this one..

Welcome to my world... sinus pain is not for wimps... not the way I get it...

20. reber1b

reber1b Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    Motorcycle accident in 1982. Took off half my kneecap and fractured the top end of my shin bone. I was very fortunate in one aspect of it -- by luck I got what must be one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the country. I was on crutches for 6 months and in rehab for several more, but today, if it wasn't for the scar, I would never know anything had ever happened to it.