1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The LeBron Hour, Finally

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Earl Bonovich, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Jul 6, 2010 #1 of 55
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5359255

Looks like LeBron has made his choice, and will make everyone wait till Thursday night.

He has requested that ESPN give him a one-hour show, for this announcement.

While that does seem a bit over the top, at least he has requested that all the advertising dollars go to charity.

The best thing that will come out of this....
    By Friday, all this NBA Free Agency noise should come to an end....

And we can start to focus on the start of NFL Football.

2. Jul 6, 2010 #2 of 55
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    What's really sad about this is ESPN giving into his demands.
    I'm sorry but I had my way not a single reporter would show up at his little circus.

3. Jul 7, 2010 #3 of 55
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I agree... except, they probably should have made this a summer reality show from the start. I mean, there have been worse ideas for a reality show!

Each week a different team "courts" LeBron... and then he starts giving them "challenges" to avoid elimination... and by the end of the summer the winning team gets LeBron.

I am being sarcastic... but strangely surprised no one thought of doing this!

4. Jul 7, 2010 #4 of 55
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Mrs. Fluffybear has suggested that since Lebron is requesting all advertising dollars go directly to charity that ESPN should run nothing but commercials for that entire 60 minutes and use the crawl for his announcement.
    Giving him a single minute of air time is only inflating his over-inflated fat head more.

5. Jul 7, 2010 #5 of 55
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    The circus is almost in town.

The NBA has truly hyped up this whole free agent thing to the point where its almost beyond all comprehension.

6. Jul 7, 2010 #6 of 55
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Wow. I mean, I thought there were some prima donnas in baseball (I'm talking to you Alex Rodriguez) but - geez - talk about thinking that you're bigger than the game.

I guess this is just another reason I don't watch basketball. I mean, if LeBron is so good, how come the Celtics beat them? How many championships has he won? How many rings is he wearing? I mean, come on, Kobe Bryant has more 'claim to fame' but LeBron wants ONE HOUR???

7. Jul 7, 2010 #7 of 55
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    Yup....yup..and yup...

The money they are throwing these guys....and the mega-hype coming out of the NBA these days is beyond compare.

Funny thing is....most of these guys are staying with their original teams...so this mostly ends up being a salary (huge increase) negotiation ploy in the end.

With 80% of games decided in the last 2 minutes and insanely paid players...you are not alone in rejecting the NBA altogether.

8. Jul 7, 2010 #8 of 55
    Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    What a clown who's in love with himself.I wouldn't know him if I saw him in the street passing me.

9. Jul 7, 2010 #9 of 55
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    What the heck is a "lebron" anyway?

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I bear him no personal ill-will... but for someone who has won zero NBA championships, or even NBA finals games... he is getting a lot of press.

For as sick as we all get with Brett Favre and his retirement-or-not summers... at least Favre won a championship in his sport before he became a distraction.

Maybe LeBron will win a half dozen championships and all will be forgotten... but until he does something, I think people would be wiser to spend their money on other available talent that has achieved something OR other potential achievers who aren't trying to take over the system.

11. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I have never watched a game of basketball and I hate the fact that I know what you are discussing. Just ridiculous amounts of money. If anyone thinks at these rates of pay that any game in professional sports is not predetermined you are crazy. It is hush money, plain and simple. Just MHO.

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Just a quick note...He played in the 2007 Finals & got swept by the Spurs.

13. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Wasn't that some sort of Auto?:)

14. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You've obviously not watched sports to think all professional are predetermined. Do you realize how ridiculously impossible it would be to organize hundreds of thousands games in ALL pro sports & thousands of players to make certain events happen to get predetermined results? Then, have no one but just one desperate former referee come forward and call them out? :nono2:

15. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    What the heck is a "n3ntj" anyway?

16. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL

One day, I will be vindicated by the truth, just wait.;)

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Now, I'm not much of a basketball guy, I prefer hockey. But in these kinds of sports, isn't more about the team? Michael Jordan obviously was one of the best players in history, but didn't he have a solid team to back him up? One player can't win a championship.

18. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Exactly...No great player won without another (or more) great player. Jordan/Pippen, Magic/Kareem, Bird/McHale, Russell/Havlicek, etc.

19. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, that's why I was careful with the wording "...someone who has won zero NBA championships, or even NBA finals games."

He did make the finals, but didn't win a single game there... so the next time he wins even a single game in the NBA finals will be his first win.

20. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I can't read sometimes. :lol: