1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The Life of Pi

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by Rich, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just watched this yesterday and enjoyed it. The background to the opening credits (which I usually skip thru) was beautiful. Made me really appreciate my TVs (watched it on a 42" and a 60" plasma). The tiger (which I think was mostly computer generated) was really well done.

I don't normally comment on movies, but if you want to see how well your TV plays BDs, I think this is a must see film.

Rich

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I was pleased with the opticals, especially when I watched the special features and found that I'd guessed wrong when I tried to figure out when they'd used a live tiger and when it was CGI. I don't want to spoil the story, but I did find it far less inspirational than I thought I would.

3. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not sure it was meant to be inspirational. Never even considered it when I ordered it.

Rich

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think Ang Lee said that 15% of the tiger scenes were real. I would have been wrong as well as to which were real. We're getting really good at CG.

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Really good. I was amazed.

Rich

6. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    The Bengal Tiger--my absolute favorite animal on the earth, and one of its most beautiful creatures.

And sadly, on the verge of extinction. :(