1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The most disturbing cartoon ever made

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Chris Blount, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    This has to be the most sick and twisted cartoon I ever saw. As a kid, it gave me nightmares. It's been ban from TV. I never quite understood some the humor back in the 50's.

[YOUTUBE]BIWaeNztPHI[/YOUTUBE]

2. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    It brings a new meaning to the phrase, "Eat Me!" :)

3. Polardog

Polardog Legend

Mar 4, 2008
    Canabalism, ugly people with giant teeth chasing you and trying to eat you, folks gobbled in one bite, being run over by a truck. Heck, all perfectly normal situations for a 5 year old. I wonder how many young ones had horrific nightmares like you Chris with parents never connecting a cartoon with those nightmares.
    Many of these cartoons included violence and scary situations. As an adult I've often wondered if Looney Tunes and other cartoons were really geared towards adults. I guess we weren't so sensitive about such things back in the 50's.
    Speaking for myself, I never had nightmares as a kid even though I was a big fan of cartoons. And I watched them all.
    I just recently bought a Looney Tunes DVD collection and thought as I watched that a good deal of the cartoons on that collection had some pretty horrific situations for entertainment geared towards children.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Many good cartoons were written on levels ... the slapstick funny for the younger viewers and adult references for the parents (not always adult as in the clubs, but stuff only an adult would get - such as impersonating TV stars).

I can't stand the Three Stooges with all the poking and mean behavior ... but some people would poke me in the eye for saying so. It isn't so funny when your sister pokes you in the eye or hits you with a stick. At least with a cartoon it is easier to separate reality from fantasy.

5. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    Dang, I thought it was going to be Bambi Meets Godzilla

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That's an odd one. But then again a lot of the so-called children's programming prior to about 1975 is pretty scary. Anyone watch Bambi lately? That's a pretty stressful film.

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Whoaaa! That is disturbing! I was read Grimm's Fairly Tales which gave me nightmares, but this one tops that for bad viewing by kids.
    Dontcha love the upbeat and happy music that introduces it?

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The oddest thing about the Stooges is that Moe was pretty much the exact opposite of his onscreen persona. I guess that happens fairly often, but still can be surprising at how different they can be.

I think writing on the different levels has been a big part of Pixar's success. In other films, kids wouldn't get the humor in Despicable Me about Bank of Evil: Formerly Lehman Brothers.

However, over time these references can be lost. With cartoons like Looney Tunes, how many adults these days get who Foghorn Leghorn is a parody of?

9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Ummm, umm, umm, W.C. something?

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Nope, Senator Claghorn. Though parody might not be the right word. Senator Claghorn was a comic radio character himself, not an actual politician. He was a bit of a parody of a Southerner himself. Of course my knowledge of his character is a bit limited myself.

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator_Claghorn

12. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Fred Allens radio show as I remember it.

13. reber1b

reber1b Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I think Claghorn was one of the denizens of Allen's Alley.

14. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Amazing what passed for humor. Years ago, I bought a VHS of WB cartoons for my niece and nephew at Walgreens. They had fallen into public domain. The last one on the tape I had never seen. It's the infamous "All This And Rabbit Stew"

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    More likely it's a movie short.

16. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    10 years from now....I suspect the very same thing will be said of Beavis and Butthead...

17. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I suggest you set the DVR for Drawn Together on Comedy Central. It no longer in production but they repeat the episodes constantly.

No cartoon yet is more offensive to my knowledge.

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Already has for me ... along with South Park and a lot of other adult humor cartoons (Drawn Together is an excellent example of bad). A lot of stuff I don't find funny passes for "humor".

I guess that makes me old.

19. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Ren and Stimpy also comes to mind.

20. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I am a south park and Drawn together junkie, I used to like the Simpsons over 10 years ago. Now they are not funny to me. But what surprises me is the popularity of the Beavis show years ago and now the Family Guy. The obvious humor with no thought behind it is not funny to me. And yet it is the most popular on tv. I may never understand our population.