1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The most shocking interaction with a CSR I have ever experienced in my entire life!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dubber deux, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 12, 2011 #1 of 118
    dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    I haven't been around for a number of months and after my account was at zero balance I proceeded to suspend the account for four months. I decided that D* was a no longer good value for me and today contacted the customer retention department and proceeded to inform the CSR that I was cancelling my account effective today.

The CSR was rude, obnoxious, and belligerent as well. I was polite and level headed the entire time even though I should have told him off. Clearly OUTRAGEOUS behavior on the part of the CSR and a case of abuse of the customer.

He continued to asked me what it would take to remain a customer even after I clearly told him I simply wanted to cancel, and I told him the terms that would keep my account active and in use. He could not meet the price I mentioned and once again told him clearly I wanted to cancel this occured no less than TEN times. During the discussion.

I have been dealing with customer service representatives for almost 30 years now and without a doubt this is the absolute worst encounter I have ever had in my life.

This individual could do damage to my credit information so I made sure to remain calm and polite throught the conversation .

I firmly believe that this situation needs to be referred to the CEO of the company as well as the FTC.

I will be sending a Return Receipt Requested Certified Letter to the CEO and the FTC describing the event. Luckily the recording is definite proof of the SHOCKING attitude and behavior of the CSR.

Most importantly I was a customer in GOOD standing for two and a half years with never a late payment and (auto pay) and never had any other serious issues with D*

BUYER BEWARE!

2. Oct 12, 2011 #2 of 118
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Same thing happened to me the other day when I tried to cancel a credit card. Must have asked me 6 or 7 times why I wanted to cancel and what the benefits of the card were, etc. A 30 second call ended up taking 10 minutes, but no biggie.

3. Oct 12, 2011 #3 of 118
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Although you're not specific about the rude, obnoxious and beligernet behavior that was clearly outrageous, I am guessing it is what you state in the next paragraph.

The Retention Department is called Retention because it's their job to figure out what it would take to retain you as a customer. So asking you what they can do to keep you from cancelling is their job. OK, so you had to tell them 10 times, I don't think it's something to get that worked up about. You should try cancelling a credit card - took me almost 15 minutes and having to listen to every pitch in the book.

I'd have been shocked if they didn't try to keep you as a customer and just cancelled the account.

Anyway, it seems like you got to cancel, so you accomplished your goal.

4. Oct 12, 2011 #4 of 118
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I hope you will be sending a Return Receipt Requested Certified Letter to the CEO and the FTC describing the event.

5. Oct 12, 2011 #5 of 118
    dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    At least it seems in your situation that the CSR was at least respectful in his effort to do this job, I even mentioned to this individual that I understood his effort to keep me as a customer was part of his job BUT this attitude and over all behavior was as will be found in the recording ....OUTRAGEOUS!

It wasn't his persistence as much as his attitude, which was HORRIFIC!

Not that it shouldn't have taken me 30 minutes to get cancelled. But you disrespect me as a upstanding customer and you have definitely bought yourself trouble. I might have considered returning to D* in the future if he would have been professional but now I never will also my parents were able to hear the entire conversation and they were considering D* now they never will and they will tell their friends to stay away.

I forgot to mention that the initial time I called to cancel I was "accidentally" disconnected .....

This isn't about his persistence it is about his behavior and attitude. Which most of you are ignoring.

6. Oct 12, 2011 #6 of 118
    mavs-fan

mavs-fan Mentor

Aug 31, 2011
    When you want to cancel tell them you no longer have a TV. They won't know how to respond and just cancel your account.

7. Oct 12, 2011 #7 of 118
    dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    LOL:hurah::lol:

8. Oct 12, 2011 #8 of 118
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    So, you're basing all future possible business dealings all on how a single CSR allegedly treated you? Man, it's a tough world out there...I hope that you're tough because some people aren't nice. I was in Kroger once and the sacker & cashier weren't nice...neither greeted me with a smile or asked how I was...but I'm ok and can take it. I even shopped there again.

9. Oct 12, 2011 #9 of 118
    Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I don't think anyone is ignoring that....but can you be specific on what this CSR said?

10. Oct 12, 2011 #10 of 118
    dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Sigma.....

You don't say that they were obnoxious though. Being business like (impersonal) and belligerent are two entirely different things.

Also you didn't have a contract with that grocery store that was worth many thousands of dollars to the company either.

You are comparing apples and oranges .

Of course we all know you are D* biggest fan around here. LOL

11. Oct 12, 2011 #11 of 118
    dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

Justin23:

As soon as I send the letters to D* and the FTC I will go into the details. Sorry for the delay in the specifics.

12. Oct 12, 2011 #12 of 118
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You still haven't explained how they were.

They've received thousands from me. You can break contracts.

No, there's bigger fans. Thanks though.

13. Oct 12, 2011 #13 of 118
    usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Dubber - why are you telling us this??

14. Oct 12, 2011 #14 of 118
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I once had a call with DirecTV much like this [though I wasn't trying to cancel]. I simply called again, got another rep and expressed my concerns. They asked when I called, checked the log, pulled up the recording and passed it to a supervisor for their attention.

15. Oct 12, 2011 #15 of 118
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I get it. There are duds everywhere.
    But to cut yourself off forever from a company because of that is shortsighted. Almost regardless of what business it's in.

16. Oct 12, 2011 #16 of 118
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Dubber -- I suggest you send an email to DirecTV's VP of Customer Service: ellen.filipiak@directv.com. Make sure you give them the date and time you called so they can pull up the recording.

17. Oct 12, 2011 #17 of 118
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    That's the way I see it. I've encountered jerks from Time Warner Cable, AT&T, Dell, Amex, different stores, etc... That doesn't stop me from continuing business or bother me. Maybe I'm just "too laid back?" :whatdidid Companies are filled with thousands of people; you're going to encounter jerks eventually.

18. Oct 12, 2011 #18 of 118
    dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    I guess the words "belligerent", "obnoxious" don't get the idea across, how about hostile, and yes when I refused his offer that was not what what I indicated would retain me he was YELLING at me. It should not take ten times of telling a so called CSR professional that I am cancelling 30 minutes plus to get it through his head.

I'm glad you have the hundreds of bucks to break those contracts, most people today do not have that loose change hanging around.

I was no longer under any contract at this time. BTW.

One of the little sneaky things he tried to pull was stating (probably for the recording ) that I was with them since 2010, when it was clearly 2009, as the information was staring him right in the face. In the chance perhaps that somehow D* could claim I had not completed my term as agreed to. Amusing how he didn't get any other account details wrong. I am darn glad I held onto ALL my receipts for the start of my original agreement.

Anyhow,I honor contracts, it is the HONORABLE thing to do.

Could have fooled me. :D

19. Oct 12, 2011 #19 of 118
    dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Thanks trh: I will be doing this as well. Have all the details time, date, the CSR operator number, ect.

The strange thing to me also was how when I called to cancel originally (just minutes earlier) I was "disconnected" and in the almost three years I have had D* I have NEVER been disconnected, ever. Yeah it is JUST a coincidence I'm sure.

20. Oct 12, 2011 #20 of 118
    SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Fun thread. I am not sure what the point of it is but it's a fun read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.