1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The NCAA can't "think on its feet"

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1 of 11
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It's not a huge mistake in the scheme of things, but sometimes I wonder about people. Here's the story:
    Apparently once the issue got to someone with a brain, the decision was reversed, just too late to make the trip happen. The writer of the story offers a good sense of why the decision was idiocy.

2. Apr 9, 2013 #2 of 11
    yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    They have a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time also.:)

3. Apr 9, 2013 #3 of 11
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Entirely my opinion (and apparently with no evidence either) but I have been suspicious the NCAA was totally unawares of the the Penn State mess for many years prior to the eventual media frenzy. Just considering the number of admins and program personnel all part of the coverup, I'd be amazed the NCAA was totally in the dark.

Who is watching the watchers?

And too bad about the delay in approving the men's trip to New Orleans, seems like somebody in the $$$$ department at the NCAA would have realized increase in media attention = more $$$ in the coffers for the schools, the venue, the host city, the sport, AND THE NCAA.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #4 of 11
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Thinking inside the box for a moment...

I get why the men's team wanted to go support the women's team... but IF you allowed that as a benefit, where would it stop? Why wouldn't other Louisville students who wanted to go to the women's final game get a free trip too?

That is kind of the definition of special treatment that they theoretically want to avoid.

In an ideal world, it could be made to happen... but in fairness, if it wouldn't be offered to other Louisville students who wanted to also support their women's team... then why offer it to the men's team?

Also... would the reverse have been true? Why not have the women's team in Atlanta last night to support the men as well?

It is kind of a slippery slope if you really think about it in this case.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    As someone who has had to enforce the boundaries of the box a lot in my life, I see the slippery slope. But sometimes you have to take a risk and it could have looked good for the NCAA.

On the other hand, it probably was just as well that whoever made the initial decision didn't take the risk since the women lost 93-60 and it would be easy to criticize the risk taker under those circumstances.

6. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... I had no dog in that fight last night... but it was a shame it turned into a 30-point non-game. I did see that Coach Pitino was at the game.

7. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Not really a slippery slope at all. They were asking for a one time waiver. The fairness question is also not applicable. All Louisville students don't get their school paid for, don't get to live in special dorms, don't get to use the practice facility to shoot hoops, don't get to miss weeks of school, don't get meals paid for at steak houses etc etc. A division one athlete in basketball and football get things the average student doesn't. Nothing unfair.

8. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Maybe things turned out just the way they (NCAA) wanted?

They score PR points for relenting on the issue, yet they changed late enough that the men's team didn't get to go.

NCAA got their way all along and didn't wind up taking a hit (or much of one) and they don't have any concerns about precedents or strict interpretations of the rules.

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    All basketball and football players don't receive school paid for. The college athletes also earna school millions in revenue each year. In 2010-11, Louisville basketball had $40,887,938 in revenue, $13,336,649 in expenses, & $27,551,289 profit...that's the #1 profits earner for all basketball programs that year. Let's look at football's #1 that year...Texas football numbers were $95,749,684, $24,507,352, and $71,242,332 respectively.

Average students don't bring $70 million dollars profit to a school.

Source - http://businessofcollegesports.com/...le-fbs-football-and-mens-basketball-programs/

10. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    My point was there is nothing "unfair" about flying the athletes to New Orleans and not flying regular students.

11. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    A scholarship is a scholarship. Students on academic scholarships get their school pair for too...

I don't know how special they are. Athletes often have a curfew that doesn't apply to other students... and some schools have nicer dormitories for the rest of the students while other schools do not.

Depends. I went to NC State... I couldn't go to Reynold's Coliseum and shoot (where the team played) but there were indoor and outdoor facilities that all I had to do was show my student ID to gain entry and access to sports equipment and courts/fields. I played football and basketball with school equipment and locations whenever I wanted... and I was not on one of the teams.

Those students have to make up the coursework that they miss... and lots of students skip classes just "because"... I know I had some classes that didn't require attendance and as long as I was there on test days and turned in assignments, the instructor didn't really care.

Sure... there are some perks that come from being an athlete that makes money for the school... That's true, but they do have limits on it. They can't just get any benefit they want.

Absolutely... but that usually does not include free airfare, accommodations, etc. related to an event that the team is not participating in.

I wouldn't think it evil if they did allow the team to go... but I don't think it evil that they didn't want them to go either... and it would open the door to other things.

As I said... why not fly the women's team too... and how about the football team? They were in a BCS bowl game, should the basketball teams have been flown to that? And fly the football team to the NCAA basketball finals?

Flying the team that is in the event makes sense... flying other students doesn't.