1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The Neighbors - it ain't Masterpiece Theatre

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by TomCat, Apr 27, 2013.

1. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Sure, I understand that a lot of you will probably hate this show, because it is another stupid sitcom with no star power, and a high concept. Go for it.

But it is also really funny and really cleverly-written, so I am pulling for a pickup. Every ep has at least a half-dozen gems in there that outweigh the stupid.

There seems to be two paths for comedies lately (well, three, if you include the 3-cam with audience and laugh track variety, which seems to be thriving over on CBS).

But as for the single-camera no-laugh-track variety, there are two paths. One of them seems to be a true "vast wasteland" (FCC Commish Newton Minow's observation is nearly as spot-on today as it was half a century ago) chock-filled with really bad attempts that are just so bad it makes you shake your head that they were ever green-lighted, and most of which seem to get their opportunity to fail on ABC.

Then there are the "Modern Families".....oh wait; there is really only one Modern Family, and it is getting pretty insufferable and long in the tooth. I think all of the copycats missed the mark in understanding just why it was so successful. So MF is the lone exception. Not every character can be Phil Dunphy.

But there are sitcoms out there (some of which have failed but some of which have not) with really funny and clever writing, and really compelling characters, such as Community, Don't Trust the B..., Suburgatory, Veep, Californication, Parks and Rec, etc. And they seem to get sillier and more outrageous and more stupid every year, but also get funnier and more entertaining every year. Chalk them up to guilty pleasures, as they do what they are designed to do, be escapist light fun in our post-apocalyptic economy.

Maybe I'm just lowbrow, but I liked Partners (very surprised at how quickly that one got the axe), and Rob, and even Man Up (yeah, I said it...it was as stupid as can be, but still funny). And I have my fingers crossed for Whitney.

2. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    The Neighbors is one of, if not, our favorite new show this year. The way networks yank shows after one or two airings, it's no wonder people are flocking away. Hope they keep it. Of course we also like other quirkey shows like Louie & Wilfred...and Big Bang Theory.

3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    The Neighbors is one of my favorites too! It is so stupid, but it is stupid done very well! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We love this show. The best scifi sitcom since "Mork & Mindy" and I hope ABC will give it a second season.

5. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Same here, one of the only new Network TV shows that I kept in season pass, can't wait for season 2

6. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I thought I read it was picked up, and in theme of this great show, you are at least in this thread now known as Obi Wan Kenobi :righton:

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Obi Wan Kenobi. I'll take the compliment.

Unfortunately ABC hasn't announced any renewals yet. "The Neighbors" is considered on the bubble because of weak ratings. In the last episode they were practically begging for a pickup.

8. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Wow, I hope it gets picked up and if not by ABC, maybe NetFlix

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Jami Gertz is all the "star power" you need.

The show is absolutely hilarious and very well written. I'm just waiting on renewal news!

10. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I love how the ended this season with the little jokes about renewing the show. I too hope it gets renewed, the show really grew on me and I found myself looking forward to it each week.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    uhh, network, day, time? \_o_/

12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It had a 22 episode season on ABC (on Thursday at 8:30 pm between "The Middle" and "Modern Family") that ended March 27. Unfortunately, the entire season doesn't seem to be available anywhere for streaming free though it is available through pay sites like Amazon, itunes, Hulu and Vudu. Five episodes are available at ABC.

13. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Color me very surprised. I really though I was going to get bashed for liking this. Happy you all do, too.

14. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Dennis Rodman, we can still bash you if you wish? :rotfl: Even though we all seem to like this very odd show :righton:

15. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Just for the record, "The Neighbors" was renewed! :joy:

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    That was announced yesterday followed by a "hold on a minute" statement saying it wasn't 100% renewed. Unless that has since been reverted today. lol

17. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Obi Wan Kenobi, you brought us great news today :righton:

18. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It's renewed, but I'm hoping they'll see how the ratings go in the fall with it placed between "The Middle" and "Modern Family". What concerns me is they announced it along with "Last Man Standing" which is a Friday show and they did not pick up "Malibu Country" that followed it. And they always reserve the right to replace these sitcoms mid-season.

19. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Remember way back in the 70's and 80's Friday nights had must see TV, awe the good old days

20. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    I could never rebound all that well.