1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New Girl

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Chris Blount, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Did anyone see this last night? A little quirky but I thought it was funny. Love the douche bag jar!

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's on the DVR... A lot going on Tuesdays all of a sudden and it's going to take a while to sort it all out. That's a good thing :)

3. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    The douch bag jar is great! I should implement that policy at work!
    I thought the show was really good but have to wonder at the appeal of long term 'quirky'.
    Also, it seemed a bit odd that the guys would jump to her rescue in the first show. There wasn't a whole lot of interpersonal development between the 4 of them. I guess the producers assume you know what would have happened in the moments you can't see. I just didn't think there were quite enough pointers.
    All in all though it was entertaining.

4. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I agree. Only time will tell on that one. I enjoy quirky teen movies but I don't watch them all the time so on a weekly basis, I'm not sure how it will fly.

I did find myself laughing out loud though. Much more than during 2 broke girls. That show is basically raunchy which for me is "cheap". The New Girl was a bit more clever.

5. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    She's a one-note gag and the cloying cuteness and self-conscious "adorkable" routine got old in the first ep. Two Broke Girls had much wittier dialog and far better drawn characters. This'll get canceled quick for sure.

6. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    I would tend to agree.

7. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Legend

May 27, 2003
    I will watch Zooey no matter how bad the show gets.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I remember hearing similar comments from others about Macaulay Culkin and the Olsen Twins back in the day.

9. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    I kinda thought that before watching the show. Not so sure after.

10. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Legend

May 27, 2003
    Watched Culkin only in Home Alone, and never had any interest in watching the Olsen Twins.

11. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    +1000

Although I haven't seen the show yet. But will tonight.

So where does every one come down on the Zooey vs. Emily debate?

They did not age as well as we hoped. :eek2:

12. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I think all internet forums should implement 1 and use PayPal as the douch bag jar:lol::D

13. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Dang, forgot to DVR it...

14. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Our local has it back on Saturday, Oct. 1. So I'll have the next one then the pilot after that. (And will watch in sequence, though it probably doesn't matter.) :)

Or Fox.com will have it available online next week.

Cheers,
    Tom

15. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Same here. Enjoyed the first episode, but not sure how funny the show will be if the writing revolves around her character week after week after week. I'm not sure she's working with a particularly talented ensemble here. Certainly nothing like Three's Company or Friends, e.g.

First I've seen of Zooey, but she appears to be as attractive and talented as her big sister!

16. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Zooey definitely pulled that goofy-quirky-cute stuff off ok in her early 20's, but now that she's getting up into her 30's, the little girl gags seem kind of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane-ish.

Emily works for me.

17. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Never seen Elf or Yes Man?

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I like Zooey... liked her in Yes Man and in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... didn't see all of Elf... but this show doesn't seem like a show that can survive long with the formula it has. Maybe it will evolve though, especially since "Coach" isn't going to be on the show beyond the pilot.

19. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Just finished it. No question, it's a keeper.

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Given her low-pitched voice, I can see where she might have a future as an understudy for Elijah Wood. ;)