1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new programming frontier

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Satelliteracer, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
  2. texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    Nice read. Who loses in the end>>>the consumer! Just like the fans do in the current NFL/Owners/Players new contract debacle.

Everyone wants their $lice, Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.

3. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    A very interesting article. It really shows why/how the process has become more complicated and difficult.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Not to worry....some of us here "get it", and have for some time. ;):D

5. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Good for content owners, bad for customers.

I love my iPad. However, I don't want my iPad being a roadblock for getting new HD.

It kind of sucks! It should be one flat rate to "receive" a program. Why does it matter which "screen" I use?

Greed!

6. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Top be more precise...the trend is only good for content providers....nobody else (consumers, content carriers, advertisers, etc.). It may also come back to bite them in the butt as more of their channels get dropped based on poor ROI.

7. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    "The fees the distributors pay content owners have been climbing almost 11% a year. Thus, content firms have been winning most recent squabbles over money."

What I am reading:

"The fees the distributors pay content owners have been climbing almost 11% a year. Thus, customers are going to see their bills increased by similar percentages over the next few years."

Hey, they have to earn that money back somehow, and it isn't going to come from PPV.

8. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Yet price increases have been less than 11% per year so you can see some of the dynamics at play. Most folks don't get this or don't want to hear it as they are focused on the cost of their bill and merely blame the satellite or cable company.

9. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    Yes that is because payments to content owners only make up a portion of the costs of doing business, lets say 40% (just purely a random number). So an increase of 11% of a 40% cost component would mean the end user, us, would be facing a 4.4% increase.

Based on that number, it seems that Directv has been passing almost, if not all, of the programming cost increases on to us.

Now of course that number is going to vary based on the true percentage of costs that content owners payments make up. And it may very well be true that other cost increases are not being passed on.

10. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    There's alot of fuzzy math going on with those numbers.

For starters...the content provider increase have not been 11% - they've been exponentially higher (in some cases 10-20 times that number)....including even the local network carriage fees.

That's where all the problem lies - simple greed. More an more people are starting to realize that now.

11. gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    I see Time Warner's point and I think they are right. For the content providers to demand more $$ because of ipad steaming is really stupid. They will grab any opportunity to demand $$, and I believe in this case, they are wrong. So I hope the Court sees it that way too.

12. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Yep, it's a good reason to just give up on traditional pay TV all together. Which I would gladly do, if it didn't mean I'd lose access to live sporting events! They're honestly the only reason I subscribe.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    And do what? The streaming cut-the-cord method? That is shortlived in terms of low cost. They will come hard at that market very soon and you will have the content providers and the internet providers fighting it out. I really think we are about a year away from the streaming area getting nasty.

14. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I'd just wait for the few shows I care about to come out on DVD/Blu-ray and get them from Netflix. It's not that important for me to see them immediately, it's just an added benefit to having access to live sporting events. :lol:

15. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    There's more than one way to cut the cord. ;)

16. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    I would have cut the cord/dish a long time ago if I was closer to the OTA transmission site. I can only get one channel via OTA due to the extended range. I’d be happy with just OTA and Apple TV.

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I suspect some folks may be talking about different things when referring to "cut the cord"...more of a technology play.

18. e4123

e4123 AllStar

Jan 31, 2011
  19. Daniel

Daniel AllStar

Feb 6, 2007
    And yet DirecTV made a 1.6 Billion Dollar profit last quarter, so they don't seem to be hurting any from this 'new frontier'.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a business making a fair profit, but don't complain to me that your hurting and try to use that as an excuse for not providing adequate service when you make massive profits! :icon_lame

20. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    ...since when are they not offering adequate service? :rolleyes: