1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The no-music channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mreposter, Apr 18, 2009.

1. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Just checked the MTV/VH1/Fuse channels and only found one playing a music video - Fuse. The MTV and VH1 channels were all playing reality shows, except for one drug culture "documentary" on VH1 Classics. Jeez...

2. WB3FFV

WB3FFV Legend

Mar 2, 2007
    I agree, in the old days so to speak, MTV was great, then they decided that MTV no longer stood for music, but alas to the rescue came VH1 that played the music that MTV stopped playing. Well as they say, all good things much come to an end, and they got away from playing music as well.

I'll listen to the XM channels for music, but I don't even waste my time with the music video channels, it's a lost cause..

3. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    PLDAHD - Channel 332- music all day-- in HD

4. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    It really is sad to see what CBS/Viacom has done to VH-1 Classic :(

Then again, that's par for the course when it comes to the CBS/Viacom owned cable networks.

5. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Sadly, that's part of the HD Extra pack, an extra $5 or $6 a month.

6. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    "Jump Start" on VH1 plays continuous videos every morning for hours.

What? You don't have a DirecTV DVR? Too bad.

MTV and the other music channels actually play videos too-but when most people are sleeping.

7. Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA Icon

Jan 10, 2008
    The only good thing about VH-1 these days is the Top 100 and decade nostalgia shows they do. They suck my wife and I into them all the time. I guess I resemble the demographic or something... :lol:

8. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Do they even make music videos anymore? With MTV/VH1 not showing music videos and the cost to produce them, I would think they wouldn't be making them anymore?

9. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    There are quite a number of outlets other than MTV Networks for airing music videos. CBS Viacom--you suck!

I agree that MTV/VH1/ect has definitely done itself a disservice by programming all this CRAP over the past decade or so.

I just can't believe that people are watching this slop. I will say that a few shows are ok (true life, mtv docs). BUT the majority are terrible and the biggest problem is they run an episode over and over and over again to fill up the time slots.

PLAY MUSIC you dumb buggers!!!!!

10. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    You can get most music videos on youtube.

BTW, MTV truly died when they canceled Beavis and Butthead.

11. morbid_fun

morbid_fun Godfather

Jan 16, 2007
    MTV, VH1, FUSE, and the dumbfounded MTV2 simply make me sick.

12. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Not exactly what you find so shocking, it's pretty well known MTV and VH1 haven't played music videos well over a decade on a regular basis if at all. They're more pop culture channels then anything. Palladia HD, MTV Jams, MTV Hits, VH1 Soul and CMT Pure Country do play music videos though.

13. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    It seems these threads pop up whenever someone decides to put on a music channel they used to watch a decade or so back. Remember? You watched for an hour or so until they played a video you thought was stupid or until you decided to get on with real life. You were in your late teens to early 20s. And you're how old now? Well, your age has changed, but their target demographic age hasn't and I can testify that it's still the late teen to early 20s audience they pull in. Oh, and they realized there's only so many music videos you'll watch back-to-back before you change the channel.

That's where the rental companies like Netflix step in. My last rental was "Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett". Before that "The Passing Show: The Life and Times of Ronnie Lane", a Godsend for Small Faces/Faces/Ronnie Lane fans, but very unlikely to ever air on the channels Steve Mehs listed above. And speaking of Palladia, I'm not all the impressed with them either seeing as how they censor.

14. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree.

And Palladia, who came up with that name, and how do you even pronounce it? :lol:

15. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    puh-LAY-de-uh

16. Piratefan98

Piratefan98 Icon

Mar 11, 2008
    Video killed the radio star.

Reality shows killed video.

Standing by to see what kills reality shows. And so it goes.

Old School Jeff, who misses the "radio star" days

17. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    They have MTV HITS & MTV SOUL which plays music. The only MSO that has it is U-verse.

18. YKW06

YKW06 Legend

Feb 2, 2006
    Whatever it is, it needs to hurry up already.

19. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

I love that folks mention MTV Networks channels that D* doesnt have and probably never will.
    :nono2::nono:

20. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    FUSE has videos on a lot of the time actually. Palladia is also awesome most of the time.

VH1 and MTV have not had videos for a long time, nothing new. I do hate that VH1 Classic seems to be getting less and less good shows though.