The reason I didn't post this under the 0x022B issues thread, is because this is an ongoing bug, and not related to the latest national software release. I was automatically upgraded to the latest national release last night on all 3 HR20-700s. I don't lose OTA. But, it gets scrambled. This happens EVERY time there is a software update, a via remote reset, a red button reset, or even a power failure. Some stations I had selected get "unchecked" and others then were not selected become "checked". I'm in the Wichita/Hutchinson, KS market. The issue is that there are two channel 3s and 8s. This is where the failure occurs. All of the double-digit channels are unaffected. It's NOT a simply matter of unchecking, and rechecking, the unwanted/desired channels and sub-channels under "edit stations". It does not work. Once you get to the signal meters, there is no signal indicated on the proper channels. I'm forced to back to "initial setup" to successfully repair the OTA. This isn't a major bug. But, it is a major hassle, considering that I DVR HD via local OTA. If I miss an update, or there was a power failure, I'll miss series recording anything on NBC or PBS, until I discover the problem. Please fix this bug, before it bites again! I can envision less technical D* customers selecting channel KSNW 3-1 or KPTS 8-1 , via the guide or remote, only to get a "searching for signal" error, and thinking that the problem is with their antenna or the local stations. That means calls to a CSR to "fix" what will require going back through set-up. Thanks.