1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Penn State Scandal

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Lord Vader, Nov 7, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 7, 2011 #1 of 369
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    This is not too unlike the Catholic Church priest scandal. Paterno isn't totally without blame in this, either. Regardless of whether he technically followed the law, he knew there was a serious problem. For that alone he should step down. Sorry, JoePa, but you should go.

The indictment is attached. It's rather sickening.

2. Nov 7, 2011 #2 of 369
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Paterno will be 85 next month. He was great, but he's from another time, much like I am. He should be enjoying his retirement, like me.

3. Nov 7, 2011 #3 of 369
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Anyone who had knowledge should be punished and fired.

4. Nov 7, 2011 #4 of 369
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I agree. Emphasis on the word ANYone.

5. Nov 7, 2011 #5 of 369
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I don't care how important someone feels their job is...meaning some may fear losing their job for telling...there's some instances where no job is worth knowing kids were being molested.

6. Nov 7, 2011 #6 of 369
    cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    IMO molesting children should be a capital offense subject to the death penalty.

7. Nov 7, 2011 #7 of 369
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You're nicer than me...I'd have them castrated and tortured. Death is too nice for them.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #8 of 369
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    If they had any proof that JoePa had knowledge of what was going on, the prosecutor would have him in cuffs to further his career, you could bet on that.

9. Nov 7, 2011 #9 of 369
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Not necessarily, because knowledge doesn't equal violation of the law.

10. Nov 7, 2011 #10 of 369
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Paterno reminds me of the Germans on the 1930's. He did what was legally required, NOT what was morally required.

11. Nov 7, 2011 #11 of 369
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    He did have knowledge and reported it to his superiors. But he neglected to also report it to the police.

12. Nov 7, 2011 #12 of 369
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    According to PA. law, he was obligated to report it only to his superiors.

13. Nov 7, 2011 #13 of 369
    moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    Someone like Joe Paterno only has "superiors" when it is convenient for him to have them. I doubt there is anyone in the athletic dept. Paterno could not get fired with just a phone call...

14. Nov 8, 2011 #14 of 369
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Based only on known information at this point... and setting the ground rules that while we may think the guy is guilty, he has yet to be tried in court...

Assuming he is/was guilty of these incredibly horrible crimes...

I'm on the fence as far as Paterno goes.

It sounds like he was within the law, reporting to his superiors... who then covered it up without Paterno knowing.

I'm guessing and giving Paterno the benefit of the doubt... but I'm thinking his mind may have been something like this:

Someone reports an incident with someone he has known for 50 years... an ex-coach and ex-player... so he is torn. Paterno probably saw this guy like he might one of his own sons... so my guess is that he took the complaint seriously, and reported it to his superiors and was told that they would handle it... and Paterno probably was naive and hoped it wasn't true... and when the school didn't do anything about it and covered it up... Paterno probably naively thought his friend had been cleared of wrongdoing and that was the end of it until the recent criminal investigations.

Now... having said all that... I think for the school and Joe Pa's sakes... it would be best for Joe Pa to retire this season and distance himself as I'm sure the school would like to clean house on this one and IF Joe Pa is the kind of man I think he is (and who he has appeared to be)... I imagine he is feeling sick at the thought of this being true, being covered up, and possibly his own inaction resulting in others being put at risk in the years since the incident he was made aware of...

That's how I see it, unless and until something more damning comes to light regarding Joe Pa. I would like to think his crime here was being naive and hoping something horrible wasn't true... and neglecting to follow up because he was told it was handled and he naively believed that meant everything was ok.

15. Nov 8, 2011 #15 of 369
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    One thought that I've read is that since JoePa prides himself on his moral character and honesty, that he had a greater obligation than to just report this to his superiors. In some ways, I agree with that.

- Merg

16. Nov 8, 2011 #16 of 369
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Well said, Merg.
    I only met Paterno once - at the dedication of the Joe Paterno Child Care Center at the Nike World Campus in Oregon (I once worked at Nike). He seemed to really care about kids and about his family.

With that in mind, I have no idea why he wouldn't have called the police or at least the county DA.

17. Nov 8, 2011 #17 of 369
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    So he reported it to himself?

Yes, he reported the incident in 2002 to the AD. He did what was legally required. But Paterno rules the sports department. Paterno is the senior employee. He is like god at Penn State. He should have done more. This guy was his #1 assistant through the 1990s. They were friends and colleagues. Paterno was the one who should have ended the predator's relationship with Penn State. Instead, he continued to have the use of the facilities through 2009.

Talk about turning a blind eye. :nono2:

It's a shame such a storied career has to end on such a sour note but this will be JoePa's last year as head coach of Penn State.

18. Nov 8, 2011 #18 of 369
    1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    Should be an interesting week as PSU hosts Nebraska Saturday. Pretty sure Joe will be up in the box. McCreary though will be on the sideline. That has to be uncomfortable. Kinda feel bad for him. I'm sure he knew he by reporting it he would be torpedoing the football program and or his gig with Penn State. I can't believe he could have imagined it getting swept under the rug. Young boys lives were sacrificed for the Penn State image. All involved should step down or be removed for not bringing this to a halt. I am a former Pennsylvania resident, and my sister works for the University. I have always been Penn State Proud. I could be proud again if corrections to personnel are swiftly made.

19. Nov 8, 2011 #19 of 369
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Paterno canceled his weekly press conference and it will not be rescheduled. The athletic department had requested football only questions but I think they realized that was an impossible demand. Reporters will ask the questions they wish to.

It's a hunker-down mentality right now at Penn State. That's not that much better a PR move. This thing could spin out of even Paterno's control.

20. Nov 8, 2011 #20 of 369
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    The NY Times is reporting that Penn State is planning Paterno's exit and that it will happen soon. He has lost the support of the board of trustees.

I hope they let him stay until the end of the season, including any bowl game. He deserves that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.