1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The Philanthropist

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jul 11, 2009.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Anyone else watching this series on Wednesdays on NBC? It isn't bad though it has been a bit more "James Bond meets The Unit" than "The Millionaire", particularly episode 3 last week's episode in Paris.

Episodes 1 & 2 are being repeated on USA Monday night/Tuesday morning depending on time zone.

2. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    It is a pretty show. I can't say much more than that. It's not bad, it's not great though.

3. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    As usual Phrelin, you and I are watching the same shows. I also enjoyed it, but I thought with all the money Rist has, he could have come up with a better way to track the younger sisiter in Moldava (or wherever) and the same with finding the safe house. Can't he buy some high-tech electronics stuff? And shouldn't he have a better bodyguard/go-to guy? Maybe an ex SF guy or something that could do more shady stuff to help him out like he needed in Burma or Paris? I also don't think the actors portraying his partner and the partner's wife have chemistry. He, on the other hand, has good chemistry with the partner's wife.

4. Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    I caught the first couple, but was not really feeling it. They're building up on my DVR -- not sure I'll continue to watch though.

5. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    It's fallen out of our main rotation, now. We might catch up with it mid-September, just before the new season starts.

6. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I think the show plays to the "what we would like to be if we had that kind of money" in us.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I've been recording the show but haven't watched any episodes yet. I'm waiting to see if it will stick around to start watching it.

8. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    I don't believe there is really much intention of the show "sticking around". It's a summer show. It'll last the summer. It probably won't be picked up for a second series.

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    by sticking around I meant lasting the summer... So far it's only at 4 episodes, I wouldn't invest time in it unless I knew it was going to 10.

10. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    Hmm... I didn't really get the impression that the show was serial in that way. We've seen two or three episodes. We may watch a few more episodes in September, and maybe a few more in December.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I didn't say or imply that it was serial... I'm simply not going to start watching a new show until it has proven it will be around for at least a season. I'm not going to invest my time in a show that is canceled after 5 episodes whether it's serial or not.

I waited until Leverage had aired it's entire first season before I watched a single episode. I waited until I knew the last 2 episodes of Harper's Island were going to air before I started watching it. I'll be waiting for Dark Blue to finish this season before I watch a single episode, and so on...

The only TV Series I will start watching from the beginning are shows on Showtime or HBO because I know they won't cancel halfway thru the season...

12. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    Okay, I just found that interesting. For me, I'll watch anything, even if it is just one episode, if it isn't serial (i.e., doesn't leave the viewers hanging), and is entertaining. If there are more episodes, that's good too.

13. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Thank you hulu.com. I missed the first four episodes of this show and it now has a SL set up. Good show.

14. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    I'm still on the fence. Not really sure if I like this show or not.....It just has not reached out and grabbed me as yet.

15. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    It's running out of time to do so. :)

16. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I've got 8 episodes of this recorded.

Start watching OR delete?

17. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    My opinion is delete.

18. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Awwww, Really? :)

19. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    What's the alternative? If you'd be watching The Listener instead, then don't delete: Watch The Philanthropist.

20. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I kinda liked The Philanthropist. I'd change my description from "James Bond meets The Unit" to "Bill Gates imagines himself as James Bond." But I kinda liked it.