1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Refs are back!

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dmspen, Sep 27, 2012.

1. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Evidently a settlement has been reached between the NFL and referees. The REAL refs will be back for tonight's game.

Evidently there was a huge outcry from the public after the Packer Seahawk game.

I think there'll be more penalties as the players have to go back to following the rules.:eek2:

2. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...

I hadn't watched a gane in years but with the substitutes refs in there it actually made football worth watching again.

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Before folks go into too much euphoria...we likely need to take a step back and remember how much many people complained about the "official" refs.

Time will tell.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It was said this morning that the crowds (and teams) would likely cheer the refs, for the first quarter. Then back to business as usual.

5. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Booing..... :lol:

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Heh. I'll give them (the "'official' Officials!") from tonight through Sunday evening for a honeymoon period before the complaining starts ... (But not if there's a gaffe at the level of the Packers game.)

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I won't even give them tonight... I guarantee you that if refs make ANY bad calls, they will be compared the rest of this season to the replacements... and people will soon forget how they were sure the "real" refs would do a much better job.

8. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Yeah....a crime is a crime whether committed by amateurs or professionals. :lol:

9. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I told a few friend's that the Seahawks-GB debacle would end up leading to the end of the ref strike.

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Last night came really close...

Talk about deja vu...

Final play goes dead... but wait... defensive penalty called for "unnecessary roughness" for a guy who mostly flopped to get a call when he was barely nudged after the play.

Oh how I was wishing for that hail mary to fall into three guys' hands in the end zone last night... That would have been AWESOME to bookend the end of the strike/return of the refs with a near identical strange ending.

11. jdskycaster

jdskycaster Legend

Sep 1, 2008
    Personally I thought the refs did their job last night and best of all did not detract from the game, or slow the pace of the game. Huge improvement.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Of course. You had a crack team out there, knowing all eyes would be on them. The average experience of the seven man crew was ten years.

13. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Exactly...

Also... if memory serves me correctly, nobody had anything bad to say after the first game of the season (the Dallas v New York game on Wednesday night)... they too put their best replacements on that game.

We will need to see the whole weekend slate before we can tell if things are back to business as usual.

14. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    Root canal or extraction? Replacement or regular refs? Hmm....Hard to tell the difference.