1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The solution to noisy 20-700s.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rich, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Apr 9, 2011 #1 of 26
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A week or so ago, Litzdog commented that putting an external device on a 20-700 wouldn't quiet down a noisy stock internal drive. I replied to his post that he was wrong and that I've done it many times and each time the internal drive quieted down immediately.

About a week ago, we couldn't access one of our 20-700s (with an MX-1 and a 1.5 Seagate HDD in it). Rebooted it and forgot about it. Yesterday, I'm sitting in the house doing a crossword puzzle and I hear the 20-700's HDD chattering. I figure I'm gonna have sent Litzdog an apology, because that HDD was really making a racket.

So, I go to the 20-700 and check the Local Playlist and the HR isn't recognizing the external HDD. Do a reboot and it still won't recognize the HDD. Then I notice that the eSATA to eSATA jumper had come out of it's socket on the 20-700. Shut the 20-700 and the MX-1 down and did a reboot after plugging in the jumper and it came up properly. And it's whisper quiet again.

Let me say this again, if you have a 20-700 that makes that loud, annoying chattering noise, put an external HDD on it and it will quiet down the internal drive right away.

Rich

2. Apr 9, 2011 #2 of 26
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Same goes for an HR20-100.

Others have stated that once you hook up an external drive on an HR20 the internal doesn't spin up. I'm not sure if this is true of the HR21's and up though.

3. Apr 9, 2011 #3 of 26
    liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    I've had quite a few customers who would be happy to know there is such a solution.

Will cost money for an external HDD, but probably cheaper than hiring a guy to install it in a closet. And your capacity will go way up.

4. Apr 9, 2011 #4 of 26
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The internal drive does keep spinning, but that seems to be all it does. The chattering noises stop immediately when you put an external device on them. The 21s and 24s have internals that keep spinning too, when you put an external device on them. In that regard, the all act the same way.

Just remember, this doesn't mean the external drive won't make noise, but they seem less prone to that.

Rich

5. Apr 9, 2011 #5 of 26
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, it will cost a bit, but it's better than sending an otherwise reliable HR back and getting a replacement that will do God knows what.

Rich

6. Apr 9, 2011 #6 of 26
    liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    I'm assuming the chattering is write activity. There's no good reason for an HDD to make noise if it is just spinning.

7. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    Ok so what external drives would you recommend?

8. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
  9. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Here's a loooooooooooooooooong thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=92029

Side note - Good luck to your Hawks today (God, it's hard typing that as a Detroit fan :lol:), I hope they keep Dallas out of the playoffs.

10. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    That depends on what is causing the "noise." If you are simply hearing hard drive access/chatter, it probably would be greatly reduced, but if you are hearing any other kinds of noise due to the dvr case being slightly "out of square" or the hard-drive shock mounting itself which is caused simply by the motor running in the drive then no, especially ones that were opened and the drives replaced by user or the "alleged refurbisher." Neither of my 20's won't sit flat on all 4 feet on a perfectly flat glass table. They wobble because over the years of opening and closing by Mr. ReFurb, shipping, handling etc they can go out of square. My 2 other newer never opened/never refurbed boxes are perfectly square on all 4 feet.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That would be my assumption, too. We've been hearing the phrase, "the internal drive is dormant when an external drive is attached to an HR" for a long time. I think it must just be spinning and doing nothing else but spinning. I did take an internal out of one of my 20-700s and ran it for quite a while without an internal drive and had no problems with it. An NR destroyed that ability.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My personal favorite is the WD EVDS line of HDDs in either an Antec MX-1 or a Thermaltake docking station.

That will work on all the HRs. The EVDS drives are made for DVR use.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What I'm talking about is best described as "chattering" or "seeking". And it's a loud, annoying noise. Adding the external drive quiets that sound immediately.

I don't know how the HDDs work internally. I do know that if you take one out of a TT while it is running, it feels like a gyroscope. I don't know what method is employed to keep the HDD in the proper plane, but if you're off level, I guess you might hear something. But not that "chattering" that the external quiets down. If the noise was caused by off level mounting, the external drive wouldn't stop the noise, I think.

Rich

14. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    Thanks for nothing. Detroit sucks.
    :)

But Minnesota is wonderful!

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    While adding an external may quiet down a noisy internal drive, it wont always. If a drive is failing, just spinning can make plenty of noise, and I think everyone agrees they do not stop spinning when using the external, they just dont get actively used. Adding an external will not cure noisy internals in every situation, but may depending on whats actually failing on the internal drive.

16. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I love watching DFW area teams choke. :lol:

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Okay, let me make myself clearer. In every instance that I have added an external device to an HR with a noisy internal drive the noise has stopped. I can't report anything but my experiences. What "may happen" certainly hasn't happened to me.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    So, today I'm sitting at the dining room table doing a crossword puzzle and I hear the chattering noise from the HR that I thought I cured by putting the external drive on. My first thought was, "Oh no!" Then I went over and the sound is coming from the external drive which is also a Seagate. Just can't win. I'll have to put the set in the noisy room with the other noisy Seagates and put one of my 20-700s with a WD HDD internal in it's place.

It's nice to have alternatives. :)

Rich

19. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    The solution to noisy 20-700s is to get HR24s instead. ;)

20. judson_west

judson_west Godfather

Jun 15, 2006
    When you plug in the external drive, do you have to rebuild your Series Links?