1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Staying Power Of HARD Rock

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SayWhat?, Jun 20, 2013.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The Stones are doing a 50th Anniversary tour. A few of the other big time bands including Yes and The Who are still touring in one form or another. Led Zeppelin may have a new re-master coming out this year. A few weeks back, there was a story about a new Jimi Hendrix album hitting the top of the charts.

Now comes word that the new Black Sabbath album has hit #1 for the first time in their career.

2. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    It's called Classic Rock for a reason.

3. prozone1

prozone1 AllStar

Sep 22, 2007
    KISS still touring
    Live on AXS at 3pm eastern

4. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    I think Cheap Trick has been on tour since about 1975 or so. Probably why they're so good live.

5. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Fleetwood Mac plays the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte on June 24, playing 5 more dates in the USA before ending their tour at the O2 Arena in London on Sept. 23

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    TWD?? Jagger and Richards?? You couldn't pay me to go to their concert. Well, that's an exaggeration, I'd go for free.

I'm waiting for the second coming of Jimi......

7. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    You know its is funny to me as when my kids were in high school they were listening to many of the bands I did in my high school days. Took my son recently to an Asia concert here in town. He is building custom guitar amps and lately I have been forwarding some of the old stuff to him for playing in his shop. Blodwin Pig, Keefe Hartley, Bloodrock, Grand Funk Railroad before they sold out.

Largely the music is still as vibrant today as back then. Not sure what my grandchilderen will have to latch onto. Though my 15 year old grandaughter plays bass in the school orchestra and I've taken her to see RTF and the Victor Wooten band.

Don "Yes at this stage is 2/5ths tribute band and White has dropped the vital percussion riffs to Roundabout" Bolton

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    My favorite, The Moody Blues are still touring with three of the original members (Justin Hayward, John Lodge, and Graeme Edge).

9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Never was into KISS, but AXS has been running some good stuff lately including The Doobie Brothers, Steve Winwood, Tom Petty, Alice Cooper and quite a few others.

10. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Really wanted to see seiger, but 200-1000 a ticket (in pairs only) was way out of my range :(

saw stix a few years back, they realy worked at keeping their sound..

11. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Yes is putting out new music next year. I'd say the lineup is ONE-fifth 'tribute band' (the singer). Steve Howe (the guitarist) is just as intricate as he ever was, though he doesn't seem to 'shred' the way he occasionally used to. Apparently he decided to give up the "Asia" gig to concentrate on Yes and solo music. Chris Squire is only showing his age by not leaping around on stage. Alan White's drumming has become a little more rythmic over the years. Geoff Downes coming back on keyboards, after his 1980 stint with the group on Drama still shines (though Rick Wakeman will always be my favorite). Geoff is still involved with Asia - even after 30+ years.

I kinda wish Styx had the same attitude. They still tour but seem to have given up on new music because nobody would promote the new CD.

I've sent emails to Sirius/XM suggesting that new music from classic rock bands should be featured on their channels like Deep Tracks but I don't see anything changing.

1 person likes this.