1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The straw that broke the camel's back

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by spanishannouncetable, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 6, 2006 #1 of 29
    spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Twice in the last week, I turned on the TV only to find a screen saver running on my R-15. Let me repeat that :

A screen saver.

On a DVR :nono2:

After waking the thing up I then got an even more annoying message. The unit was having a problem acquiring guide data and, if it didn't correct itself in 2 minutes, it needed to be reset. As we all know a reset flushes 2 weeks of guide data until it repopulates, and loathe as I am to reset it I found a workaround. I went into the testing menu and let it check signal strength on all 101 tp's, then exited out of there. The guide issue was corrected, no restart necessary.

Just another day in the life of an R-15 user. Right ? :rolleyes:

Over a week ago I set up a 1-shot recording for the Oscars, padded to run an extra 90 minutes. I also set up a 1-shot for Triumph the insult-comic dog on G4, which bumped regular scheduled series link recordings of Moral Orel and The Boondocks on Cartoon Network. Naturally, the R-15 did not reschedule MO & TB for the 3am & 4am showings as a TiVo would have; it's too stupid for that. It simply cancelled the earlier showings leaving me to fix it. Fine, I thought, at least it has the 1-shots scheduled properly.

FF to Sunday night, March 5. Oscar night. You know what's coming next.

I get home from visiting friends and sit down to watch TV at 9:20 pm. No screen saver tonight, good deal. But why isn't the orange record light on ? It SHOULD be recording the Oscars.

I check the to-do list - no Oscars.
    I check the history - no mention of the Oscars being unscheduled.
    I check the MyVOD list - no Oscars.

So at 9:25 I change the channel to ABC. Seconds later the record light comes on.

I check the to-do list - Oscars are there.
    I check the history - no mention of the Oscars being unscheduled.
    I check the MyVOD list - Oscars are there.

I begin playing the Oscars from MyVOD, hoping that somehow it was really recording in background from the start and it just had a display glitch in the menus. Nope, it started recording exactly when I changed the channel for it.

Directv's pride and joy, the DVR designed to make everyone forget the DirecTiVo, had FORGOTTEN to record one of the most-recorded shows of the year, and only "remembered" to record it WHEN I CHANGED THE F*&@ING CHANNEL FOR IT !!!:mad:

There is no excuse for this. NONE. I went to the closet, took my Samsung DTiVo out of its box and immediately called Directv to begin restoring it to its rightful spot on the entertainment center. By 10:15 the R-15 was in the closet, in its rightful place as well.

After three weeks of making excuses, finding workarounds and feeling like an unpaid beta tester, I'm finally ready to call the R-15 the P O S that it is. Forced restarts, missed recordings, bug fixes and a general feeling of using half-assed, partially-finished software have left me feeling like a Dish Network subscriber. No more.

Good luck ya'll. I'll check your posts and see if Directv ever gets this thing fixed, but frankly I ain't gonna hold my breath for it EVER being as good as the DTiVo. Interactive weather, lottery numbers and caller ID are piss-poor substitutes for the flawless DVR functionality Directv is throwing away by dumping TiVo.

2. Mar 6, 2006 #2 of 29
    thumperr

thumperr Godfather

Feb 10, 2006
    A screen saver is not new to DVRs. The UTV had one. Think about burn in issues with some TVs and it makes sense.

Sorry to hear about all your other issues.

3. Mar 6, 2006 #3 of 29
    spanishannouncetable

Apr 23, 2002
    What makes the screen saver kick in ? No activity from the remote ? Hardly an good enough reason to stop displaying a picture from a channel someone might actually be watching. For years I've left my DTiVo's on 24-7 with no need for it.

The Directv tech person I spoke to said the screen saver wasn't the cause of the guide issue, but was there to "cover up" some other problem the receiver was having. Take that to mean what you will.

4. Mar 6, 2006 #4 of 29
    Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I have never seen the screen saver unless I left the box paused sitting on a show. As far as I know it should never kick in a screen saver on any channel that isn't paused.

5. Mar 6, 2006 #5 of 29
    spanishannouncetable

Apr 23, 2002
    I didn't leave it paused either. I left it running, went to bed, and when I got up and turned on the TV the screen saver was active.

6. Mar 6, 2006 #6 of 29
    Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Thats the most frustrating thing about this whole deal is some people have X problem others have Y problem some have Z but not X or Y. If we all had the same problems it would be better.

7. Mar 6, 2006 #7 of 29
    davidrumm

davidrumm Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    When your R15 went to that message, that is why the R15 went to the screen saver to not allow burn in of that message on the tv. At least that is what it sounds like to me.

8. Mar 7, 2006 #8 of 29
    brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Had the same thing happen to me with a recording. Was not recording a show I had set up, nothing listed anywhere but when I changed he channel it started the recording.

9. Mar 7, 2006 #9 of 29
    morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    ...and most mornings (with no pause button) my R15 would happily be displaying the screen saver with no live TV, no buffer, and no error message.

It is important for DTV to see this stuff so they can get this unit fixed.

10. JMAC

JMAC Mentor

Feb 24, 2006
    My R15 did the exact same thing with the Academy Awards. It did not start recording until the channel was selected, and then miraculously the record light comes on. My wife says this happens daily when she records Oprah. So far I have missed final episodes of Survivor, Amazing Race, and Academy Awards because of my R15. In a split second I would replace my R15s with UTV if I was not under contract for purchasing three of POSs. I have owned TIVO, UTV, and R15 and the R15 is the worst by far. If they would fix the recording features and the freaking back button I could live with the unit. I am so close to just biting the bullet and canceling my contract. Verizon FIOS is very appealing these days.

11. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    You are under commitment to keep the level of programming you currently have with DTV for the two years. You have no commitment to use the R15's -- get something else if you want to. Hopefully in time these boxes will get resolved.

12. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    I would trade a Philips DirecTiVo straight up for an R-15 if anyone is interested.

It would not have the access card or cables, just the unit, remote and power cord. Also the manual if I can find it. You could just send likewise I dont need all the cables.

13. spanishannouncetable

Apr 23, 2002
    Am I the only one who turns the TV off if they're leaving for a little while :p ?

How does one risk burn in ? The only way you risk burn in on any screen is if you leave the TV on and unattended with a static onscreen image for hours (or at least a bunch of minutes) at a stretch. So -

- if it's being watched, someone will enjoy the show / change the channel / turn it off / call for help. No static images, no burn in.
    - if it's not being watched for a few minutes (bathroom break, phone call, etc.) and a static image occurs, someone will be along shortly. Problem quickly attended to, no burn in.
    - if it's not being watched for hours, it should be shut off. The DVR doesn't need help from the TV to do its job. No burn in.

So unless the TV is left on, unattended and displaying a static image, who needs a screen saver ? :confused:

14. spanishannouncetable

Apr 23, 2002
    Good to know I'm not the only one. Maybe someone at Directv can whisper an excuse for this fiasco into Earl's ear :lol:

Like morgantown said, you only have to remain a subscriber to fulfill your contract with Directv. You do not have to keep the R-15's on your account. Shop around for some cheap refurbed DirecTiVos and use the access cards from your R-15's. Weaknees ( http://www.weaknees.com/direct_tv_tivo_deals.php ) has exactly what you need for $89 each :D

15. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006

How about an emergency or getting a long phone call in another room or your downstairs doing laundry and get sidetracked and start doing something, run to the kitchen for a quick snack and end up cooking something instead, etc....... It happens to me all the time.

Just do what you say your doing and you will never have to see it.

16. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Or as some else pointed out in another theard. Some out there don't have the reciever hooked to a Stereo and the only sound they get is from the TV. So if they want to listen to the music stations and want avoid burn in they need a screen saver.

In my case it's just easier to leave the TV then to wait the 3-5 mins it takes to warm up if I want to change music channels. They can do it (the UTV had it), why they don't is the question.

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Certainly not! You may be among a very few that leaves their receiver turned on for no particular reason.

I would suggest turning your receiver off when you're not watching and see if it doesn't generally behave better.

18. spanishannouncetable

Apr 23, 2002
    I've left my DirecTiVos running and buffering problem-free for nearly 5 years without ever using standby/power off. Keeping 4 buffers (2 DTiVos in living room) running constantly has come in handy on many occasions - breaking news, catching a show in the middle & recording it from the buffer for later viewing, etc. Waking up and being able to rewind a freeway chase in progress is reason enough to buffer KNBC :D

Until Directv can make the R-15 stable without needing a nightly shutdown, it can "behave better" in the bottom of my closet :lol:

19. ejohnson

ejohnson AllStar

Jan 4, 2006
    Maybe they should add a sleep timer to it, since it is so important to not be on for long periods of time. I like to fall asleep with the TV on and set the sleep timer, but then the R15 gets left on all night.

But there is no button on the remote, I guess they could program (1) of the colored buttons to do it?

20. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    All of my Dtivos have also been "on" for years. Not a problem with any recordings.

I try to support, but then I ask "why was this ever released to the public?".

REALLY, not ready for prime time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.