1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

The Time-Warner Sports Channels - will Dish bite on Lakers?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by phrelin, Feb 15, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, over in the DirecTV forum is a thread Time Warner buys LA Lakers RSN rights, must provide to DBSs which I guess is a logical forum location?

In any event, the LA Times notes:
    The article notes that TWC's first stop will be DirecTV. Then it notes:
    I can understand why Time Warner Cable did this. It's time for somebody in the cable/satellite business to push back at Fox Sports RSN's and someday ESPN.

Wonder what Charlie will do after contemplating the implications of the change?

2. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    The Dodgers contract with FSN PT expires in 2013. Wondering if they too may move to this new RSN? After all, the Dodgers and Lakers are the two most popular pro sports teams in LA. With a Spanish station being one of the RSNs and the Dodgers have a HUGE Mexican fan base, more so than any other team, TWC may not hesitate to fork over money to attract them.

3. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    Normally competition lowers costs, but when you get major RSNs bidding for major teams, they end up driving up the carriage cost drastically, which eventually translates into higher carriage fees. In this case I do not think an addition RSN will lower RSN carriage cost, it may actually do the opposite

4. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I am a big sports fan, but even I have to say it is time for the people who can watch the RSN pay for it. There will be no stopping the insane cost to Dish or Direct, or for that matter the cable companies until the person paying the bill realizes just how much it costs. When people balk and stop getting the channel then the cost will come down.

As it stands, I will more surprised if Dish carries it than if they don't.

5. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    Prior to csn starting here in philly, we had prism a premium channel which was 15 bucks amonth.

They carried flyers, phillies, sixers games and also did movies and it was basically like hbo full content.

Im suprised they havent gone back to that yet.

It wouldnt suprise me to see RSN do something like that

6. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    I'm all for a SPORT premium package. Let the folks who want to pay for it get it.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I's a sports fan... but I don't want to see a day when teams have their own dedicated channel and you have to pay through the nose for each channel for each team.

I'm even a Lakers fan... but $3.50 for the Lakers channel would be hard to justify when other sports channels cost that or less and cover many more teams.

8. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Well, I hope that if this trend continues that Dish and DirecTV go with regional pricing. RSNs are provided in the base package, and it would be dumb for my price in Alabama to jump because of a high priced RSN in LA that I don't even get.

9. rasheed

rasheed Godfather

Sep 12, 2005
    With the recent Pac-12 deal on Dish, we need to watch this carefully. I think most seasoned Dish subscribers did not expect any sports additions typically (after what has happened in the NY market), but the current leadership appears to be very different.

Personally, I think this is helping lead to a 'justification' for major rate increases in Feb 2013. Especially if other providers don't have the channels in question. As long as they can leave the base packages untouched (sports tiering effectively), this is great news.

If AT120+ get the Laker channel, I may need to go to + from AT120 since I think that would a bargain deal compared to the other cable/sat options.

Still absolutely no provider outside of TW has signed up for this bargain.

To me, the biggest problem for the carriers is too many local market channels with FS channels+Pac+this Lakers channel (plus all of the other national ones). It is way too much burden for any carrier.

Latest articles:
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-warner-cable-sports-20120912,0,7090219.story (very interesting article on the dynamics including some San Diego related news)

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/09/12/us-timewarnercable-lakers-idINBRE88B1KZ20120912

I believe TW is demanding AT120-equivalent carriage, but if FS can be on the + tier, I think Dish will be able to maintain than 'equivalency'.

Rasheed