1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Tonight Show without writers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Stuart Sweet, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1 of 18
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Personally it's been years since I've seen the Tonight show, it just doesn't seem the same the next day so I don't record it. What do you all think of the writerless format?

Tonight Jay's guests are Governor Mike Huckabee and Chingy. No I am not making that up.

2. Jan 2, 2008 #2 of 18
    Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    My prediction...

Jay will be horrible. My fiance used to work at the Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa where he tries new material most Sunday nights. She said he's terrible off the cuff. Of course, I think he's pretty horrible even with writers...

Conan will be really uncomfortable, which will be funny in itself for a while, but will grow old quickly. The show will be decent since Conan is so good, but the writing is what makes the show so funny. Overall, it will just be average until the writers come back.

Kimmel will be pretty good. He's got a radio background which is mostly done on the fly and off the cuff. I also get the feeling he doesn't prepare much anyway. I think it has a chance to be just as good as it was with writers.

I'm also interested in watching Colbert and the Daily Show without writers. I have no idea how that's going to be.

3. Jan 2, 2008 #3 of 18
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I remember seeing Jay's standup in a gymnasium in New Hampshire in 1985 or 1986. I don't remember the material, but I remember being surprised "that guy" was taking over for Johnny Carson. I mean, he's certainly made it his own, and deserves a lot of credit. I suspect he won't try to be brilliant tonight, just competent. I think he's trying to preserve his job, and the jobs of hundreds of non-writers who have in no way been compensated in the last three months.

4. Jan 2, 2008 #4 of 18
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, I do know who Mike Huckabee is, but I had to look Chingy up on Wikipedia. I'm not sure which I don't want to see more.:rolleyes:

5. Jan 3, 2008 #5 of 18
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Phrelin, I'm guessing you're my age or older.

Well, what did everyone think last night?

6. Jan 3, 2008 #6 of 18
    Snoofie

Snoofie Registered User

May 29, 2003
    I only watched the opening and it seemed like the same old stuff except he mentioned that the didn't have writers every five seconds. He made a comment that he has had to go back to the old days and write his own jokes and run them by his wife to see if they are funny. I switched over to Dave and actually laughed at what he was doing. Leno with our without writers is just not funny.

7. Jan 3, 2008 #7 of 18
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I watched part of Jay's opening, but turned off before Huckabee came on - really don't like it when any of the shows have politicians as guests and really dislike it when they're campaigning.

Dave was much better and Robin Williams was entertaining as always.

8. Jan 3, 2008 #8 of 18
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    And now Jay's admitting that he wrote his own monologue has him in trouble with the Union.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/leno-sounds-like-he-broke-strike-rules/

9. Jan 3, 2008 #9 of 18
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    If the Union does anything.... I think it will just hurt the Union.... in the long wrong.

Right now... in general... people are on the breaking point of which side they want to have sympathy for.

As Leno pointed out in his "self-written" monolog... that he has 150ish other people that were being put out of work because of the other 19...

And he is just 1 show... now expand that to every other show out there....

This is multiple month's long... and doesn't look like it ending soon.

You are not only going to a shakeup in late night TV... but TV all together.

If you lose the spring season... they are going to be hurting bad...

What was Jay supposed to do? Ad-Lib... not even a note card?

While I understand what Unions are for.... and I have a lot of friends that are Union based employees...
    From someone that is not in a Union... looking on from the outside...
    It is hard to look on and see the positives for any part of a union/labor strike.

All I see is how it will ultimately effect the bigger picture... at least in my eyes.
    I still try to avoid UPS as much as possible, considering the headache their strike caused me a few years ago.

I cringe everytime I hear of an impending strike... as these contracts come to an end....

10. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    Anybody watch Kimmel? I watched the beginning this morning over breakfast. I'll watch the rest plus Conan when I get home. I thought Kimmel was pretty funny. And he actually didn't toe the company line. He expressed his frustration that they would picket Jay and Conan after they paid the writers' salaries out of their own pocket for the previous month. Refreshing. And it was classy that he didn't mention that he did the exact same thing.

And I heard Conan wasted a few moments by showing off his master skills at spinning his wedding ring on his desk. Funny.

11. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    Well said, sir.

12. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I watched Leno's monologue and thought he did very well. I'll be interested in what happens tonight.

Conan was very nervous, I thought. I don't usually watch him anyway, but he didn't seem to come off as well as Leno.

I recorded Letterman, but have yet to watch it; probably because I don't watch it much anyway.

13. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Wasn't Hillary Clinton on Letterman? How is that different than Huckabee?

14. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Last Night???? Didn't watch past Robin Williams and like I said, whenever a politician is on, I turn it off.... All I know is Leno led with Huckabee and Dave with Williams.

15. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Yes she was on last night. I'm glad you are an equal opportunity viewer!!:)

I don't watch them either.

16. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I must have had esp on that one. I actually missed the first 5 minutes or so (came in during the Q&A stuff) and the CBS summary indicates she was on at the beginning - well, I didn't miss much. :D

17. chris0

chris0 Godfather

Jun 25, 2007
    Hillary just did a 1 minute taped intro to the show. She wasn't a guest or anything.

18. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Thursday Nights, Leno....

Was definently in the top 10 of Leno episodes I have ever seen.
    It was a good time... funny.. relaxed...
    And pretty much what I expected from late night talk....

A little more on the adult side... not too woried about offending a few people with adultish jokes....

Good laughs and a little chat.