1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Weather Channnel & movies

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Paul Secic, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Last night on ABC radio news the Weather Channel will have weather related movies on Friday nights.

Another channel going down the slippery slopes. That's why I have premiums, no ads!

2. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    The Day Weather Changed History has probably run its course. ;)

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    More details...
    More @ Google News

4. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    When I turn to The Weather Channel, I expect to see the weather forecast, not a show about a flood from 10 years ago or a big snowstorm from 2005. No movies on The Weather Channel...please stick to predicting the weather.

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I knew this would happen when the TV killer (NBC) took over. First the morning idiot and general news clips mixed in during the day, next movies, eventually Leno somewhere.

6. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Funny how all these channels started out serving a niche and gradually they are morphing into general purpose channels to chase viewers instead of improving their core programming. Do it a little and it does not work, so they bring in more and more general purpose crap and wonder why they can;t make any money.

7. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    and another cable network "jumps the shark" :rolleyes:

8. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I agree blame this 100% on NBC, TWC isn't the same anymore. I miss tuning in and seeing reporterts on location where the weather news is taking place. It's too bad ABC didn't purchase them, in the past both ABC and ESPN had used TWC reporters for various stories...

9. Polardog

Polardog Legend

Mar 4, 2008
    Type "NOAA" in your browser, enter your zip code and magically get the weather for your home town. No Al Roker, goofy anchors and a half hour of commercials every hour.
    I left TWC years ago when it started morphing. I'll still tune in for major weather events to see reports from the location(s) having bad weather but even then, I've seen better coverage for hurricanes on other cable channels.

As far as Mr. Roker goes, way back when I did not have a dish I watched NBC 4 over the air. Desperate for weather reporting I was constantly dissappointed by Al Roker who spent half of his 3 minutes talking with fans outside the studio in NY. There was another network (ABC / CBS ?) that had a big weather guy who spent half his 3 minutes announcing birthdays.

There was a day when the meterologists on TWC did some fine explaining of weather situations, forecasts and outlooks.
    Now, they even rush through the "7 Day Planner" sometimes only covering 3 or 4 days. You know, commercials come first.
    Another rant is a glob of banners on the screen that usually block out weather video, maps & radar. I often wonder if anyone even realizes the stupidity of this.

I certainly won't be watching Fri night movies on TWC unless it's something quite special. Even then I'll DVR the movie to avoid endless commercials.

10. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    The weather feeds on alternate HD channels of the local ABC, NBC and Fox outlets here are pretty good, as is the "Weather on the Ones" insert on the local Time Warner Cable News Channel. Still, when you're traveling and in a motel, it seems that TWC is the only place you can get weather conditions/forecasts when you want them (or travel with a laptop and hopefully find Wi-Fi)

11. mike1977

mike1977 Legend

Aug 26, 2005
    I do too. I expect to see current weather forecasts...nothing else but current weather forecasts and conditions.

Any word on when they are going to add wrestling to the schedule? :D

12. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    They'll probably add outdoor wrestling so it will have at least some connection to weather.

I've been a big supporter of TWC because I am interested in the subject, wanting more than just my local forecast and conditions. But this really is going too far.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Same network, at least that sounds like Willard Scott (also a Bozo the Clown). Frankly I don't trust any of them. There was a day a year ago where we had hurricane force winds and 90% of Cincinnati lost power for up to a week. They said it would be windy but didn't make it sound like it could get bad.

14. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    No kidding, they broke the final straw with me when I was forced to wake up with Al.:mad:
    The night movies can't even come close to the morning sell out they have perpetrated.
    I have just accepted that I cannot tune to them for weather in the afternoon, but when I can't get the weather before work because of that creepy clown.
    I am not a morning person and TWC had just enough talking in the background to help me slowly wake up. Now it is a big yellow keg of Al's gatorade over my head.

Maybe they need TWC2 to show the weather?:confused:

15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    ^^^^ I was OK with Heather Tesch waking me up in the morning.

16. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Same here. When i try to get a forecast , i want the current forecast.
    Not weather reruns:nono: