1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Wrestler

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by deltafowler, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1 of 17
    deltafowler

deltafowler Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Aug 28, 2007
    I found this to be a great movie!
    Rourke put one heck of an effort into it, as did Tomei and others.
    I like the documentary styled cinematography and the near complete lack of music. It give the movie a very real look and feel to it.

Mickey's been down a rough road, of his own making, and it shows; but it's almost as if his entire career and his personal ups and downs have been necessary to bring him to this role.
    It's nearly a documentary on him, or at least that's the feeling one gets.
    So, whether that's intended or not, it simply adds more praise to what he's done in this film.

2. Jan 7, 2009 #2 of 17
    ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    :down: God I found this to be a low budget film not worth watching. As far as Tomei I find her to be a hot woman but not in this.
    I say don't wast your time.

3. Jan 8, 2009 #3 of 17
    Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    Going to a screening tonight -- can't wait!

4. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
  5. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I give it 4 stars. What acting!

6. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    The Wrestler easily deserves a few Academy Awards. Setting aside my bias as a wrestling fan, the way they told the story and how true so much of it is just makes it amazing. I strongly recommend people go see The Wrestler, especially sports movie fans. The Wrestler does a great job of putting out there that wrestling destroys your body just like other sports do, and pro wrestlers in general deserve a lot more credit for what they go through (even at WWE's level, where you have to factor in politicking).

7. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    Maybe when they admit its fake I'll give them more credit. Till then its just a bunch of guys getting together and circle jerking each other!!

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I may catch it on Blu-Ray but I find going to a theatre is a complete waste when the subject matter is serious and sensitive.

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Its always nice to see a total burnout who screwed up their lives still can manage to come back and make something of themselves.

Yeah...and Mickey too....:D

This is a Blockbuster candidate....I agree that seeing it in a commercial theater could be an experience of regret.

10. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    :biggthump
    It's about time someone gets it.

11. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    did anyone see Mickey get get called out on Larry king? That was an akward moment.

12. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    It wasn't Mickey's fault - it was a nut from WWE...

This is not a film about wrestling. Wrestling is a subtext for a the classic struggle of mn versus himself.

The scene in the American Legion hall were the old wrestlers came to sign autographs will remain with me forever

Very moving. Very powerfull.

Why wouldn't you see this film in a theater? This is a film that should be seen in as a community experience.

13. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    i saw tonight where Micky plans to take part in an upcoming event an is going to wrestle the guy who was mouthing off to him on Larry king. It appears it may have been staged to promote that. I guess I fell for it. lol

14. Italia

Italia Godfather

Dec 8, 2008
    Yeah, Micky Rourke will be facing Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania this year. Rourke is currently training with Afa the Wild Samoan (the Rock's uncle). Afa is a former wrestler and now a wrestling trainer. Wrestlemania has always had some sort of celebrity or non-wrestling athlete involved in the card.

15. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Well I know in my case, trying to watch something thought provoking in a theater is hard to do. You have people talking, texting, laughing, and just overall disturbing the peace and quiet of the theater. I like watching stuff like this at home and the theaters for the big budget action movies that, while awesome in my setup, just need to be experienced on the big screen.

16. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Uhhh......cause its not worth the $20+ price of admission....:D

17. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    I guess with too many people walking out it can be very distracting. :rolleyes: