1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thecus N2050GX will it work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by coondogg97, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coondogg97

coondogg97 Cool Member

Mar 31, 2007
    I ordered a Thecus N2050U last week from Zip Zoom Fly and it was out of stock. I was in a local computer store and saw another Thecus enclosure N2050GX. So I picked it up. The specs on each drive look the same. Anyone know anything about the N2050GX enclosure?

Thanks,

Brian

2. coondogg97

coondogg97 Cool Member

Mar 31, 2007
    So I got home and gave it a try. Its working like a charm, I think. All of the shows I recorded and the series I set to record are gone. I have recorded 30 minutes of Discovery HD and still have 100% space available. But is there a way to see if I am getting a full 1.5TB out of the array? I checked the menus for a "total capacity" listing, but I didnt find one. I have been using Directv TiVos for years, so this box is all new to me :confused:

Brian

3. GollyGee

GollyGee AllStar

Feb 5, 2007
    It sounds like it's working right.

The Thecus website only mentions the N2050. That box can do RAID mirroring or striping. If you chose mirroring, then you only get 750 GB. If you use striping, you get the full 1.5 TB.

I don't think there's a way to view total capacity. I think that's intentional, because recording time varies tremendously among MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and standard definition.

With 1.5 TB, you have roughly 180 hours of Hi-Def MPEG-2, and at least twice that much of Hi-Def MPEG-4. Thirty minutes of Discovery Channel is about a quarter of one percent of total storage; maybe less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.