1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

There's no RF output on the SD DVR. Help.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Jon J, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    DirecTV is replacing my very old DirecTiVo DVR with a SD DVR which it appears has no RF output...only RCA and S-video outputs. One of the TV sets I feed with the DirecTiVo only has an RF input.

What can I do to continue to use this set?

Thanks,

-Jon

2. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    An RCA to RF modulator/converter will do the job. They run between $12 & $25 A guick internet search will show you what's available.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some RF modulators.

4. Jon J

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Thanks. The expertise at this place is amazing. ;)

5. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Go to Wal-Mart and get one quicker.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Don't all the SD models still have RF outputs? Is it possible he is being sent an R22 or is there a typo in his post and he is actually getting an HD model?

7. Jon J

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I downloaded the manual and it looks like there is an RF output. Tomorrow I'll know for sure. ;)

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The R15, R16 and R22 are considered SD DVRs. The R15 and R16 do have RF outputs. The R22 does not. So Jon J is going to have to wait and see what shows up on his doorstep to know whether or not it will have the output. While it is unlikely he'll get an R22, it is possible.

9. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    Don't forget that old VCR as a modulator. Not as tidy as the ones in BattleZone's pictures but probably free and collecting dust in the closet.;)

10. Jon J

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    The replacement is an R15-300. Built in 2007 it is cosmetically fine but this model looks like it has the fewest features of all the SD DVRs. From what I've read it can't and never will be able to do dual live buffers, one of the features I enjoyed most with my DirecTiVos and my HD DVRs. Boooo.

11. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Next it'll be Line2 this, channel 3 that..? What do you mean I have to leave my VCR on all the time? That little red power light bugs me, yatta yatta :rolleyes:
    Sometimes a proper modulator is just so much less trouble. :lol:

12. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    It can do the same thing.

Choose show #1 you want to watch. Press RECORD. Enter the channel number of the show #2 you want to watch. Now, just press the PREV CHAN key on your remote to toggle between the two "live buffers". When you are finished, just delete the recording.

Works JUST LIKE "double play" or any other "dual live buffer" schemes.

13. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    Yep, As I said not as tidy, but free.;)

14. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    My RF modulator also has a red power light. I'm confused.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Use #14 for duct tape.

16. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yeah, I got some lovely owned R22s and an HR23 in today that have duct tape goo all over them. :mad:

17. Jon J

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Actually it doesn't. It's a workaround not the feature.

18. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    That's exactly what I'm using. I had an old VCR that I bought for $5 used collecting dust and realized it would make a perfect (albeit large and not very efficient) RF converter.

19. Jon J

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Found one online exactly like in the pic for $15 delivered.

20. Jon J

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Ordeal update: Getting the refurb R-15 activated properly is turning into an ordeal. If not activated properly the owned receiver can magically become a leased receiver and likely as not with a programming committment.

The PP tech I spoke with earlier was adamant there was no way the receiver could be activated as owned...only leased. Could not convince her.

Will spin the CSR roulette wheel one more time before just sending the receiver back.