1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

These crazy MLB Blackout rules

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by pangderx, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pangderx

pangderx AllStar

Jan 8, 2004
    I just don't get it...maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. I'm a Yankees fan, and live near Syracuse. I understand not being able to see the games on MLBEI.

Here is the strange thing. Last season and in seasons past, I was able to watch any game nationally televised. Games on ESPN were never blacked out.

This season...every Yankee game on ESPN is blacked out. I would understand if the game was broadcast on a local channel or at least another channel I recieve. ESPN is the only channel I can possibly view it on (except for YES but thats another pointless coversation)

The strange thing is I think I am actually closer to Toronto than NYC and I could watch Blue Jays games with no problem.:nono2:

I just don't get it :uglyhamme

2. pangderx

pangderx AllStar

Jan 8, 2004
    Nevermind...I read the thread below about MLB tightening the rules. This sucks!

3. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Since the Blue Jays are a Canadian based team, their games won't be blacked out unless they are facing a team who's territory covers the area where you live, regardless of how close to the border you live. Blue Jays games will not be blacked out unless a new RSN pops up in Buffalo that airs Blue Jays, or an alternate version of Rogers SportsNet becomes available to the Buffalo/Western NY area, or a local station begins broadcasting their games.

As for the Yankees, their official territory includes all of NY State, regardless of your distance from NYC, pretty much all of Connecticut, the parts of New Jersey that are in the NYC DMA, and Northeastern Pennsylvania.

As for the YES thing, whether or not your provider carries the channel is not a factor for the blackout rules, they will have to be blacked out either way. The same thing applies to the Nationals territory and MASN, plus Phillies territory and CSN Philly, even though CSN uses the loophole and refuses to negotiate carraige with DBS providers.

Much of this was due to complaints from individual RSNs (including YES, MASN, and the various FSN and CSN Regions) about providers that they cannot come to terms with airing games from ESPN or, in CSN Philly's case, their desire to increase cable's monopoly on Philadelphia sports. Some local advertisers on the RSNs who shell out the money to air ads during games, and want to get the maximum audience for their area and not lose any potential consumers who were watching ESPN or ESPN2 instead, also had some voice in this decision as well.

The blackouts do not apply to Sunday Night games, where ESPN has true exclusive rights, and some select Monday Night Games though.

4. duffytoo

duffytoo Mentor

Mar 13, 2005

I live in South Central Texas and when I subscribed to the EVERYTHING PACKAGE my Boston baseball games were blacked out. living in Texas I have a hard time going to a game in Boston. ??????

5. KyL416

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Was the game blacked out on NESN or on ESPN?

If it was blacked out on NESN, that was because you need extra innings to see any out of market game that isn't on ESPN. America's Everything and Multisport just gives you the the filler programming, you need to get the $100+ sports packages to get games. Those packages wouldn't even exist if you could just get the games by subscribing to America's Everything or Multisport.

6. JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Duffy,

ESPN has national Rights to games except for those teams LOCAL MARKETS. This means every Dish Subscriber that receives ESPN gets those games except for the subscribers in the local rights area for a LOCAL Market CHANNEL or RSN, example; Yankees vs Red Sox game on ESPN will be available to all subs except those that are in the local rights area for both of the teams respective RSN or OTA channel, The Yankees claim ALL OF NEW YORK and part of the NYC TriCITY area, so all Dish Subscribers in those areas will NOT get that ESPN Game, not sure about Red Sox defined local market but all those in it will be blackout from the ESPN feed. Since Dish doesn't have "YES" then NO subs in the Yankees local market will get ANY Yankees ESPN games.

If you subscribe the Multisports package to get all the RSN's then you will only get cleared from blackouts if you are inside the local rights area for those games on any and all RSN channels.

In the end, the only way to get your favorite team in an area of the country that is outside the local rights area of that Teams respective RSN is to get the MLB Extra Innings package.

John

7. k1xv

k1xv New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    I am in southern Vermont. We get NESN which is the Red Sox network. We are blacked out on ESPN Red Sox games, which is a pain, because I am an HD subscriber, and instead of seeing the game in HD, I must watch on NESN in SD. NESN transmits all Sox games in HD on many cable systems, but not on Dish.

I also subscribe to the Extra Innings package, and EI Boston games are also blacked out. Not so important, as Extra Innings is SD, and I can just watch on NESN SD.

8. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    Every time a Braves game is on ESPN it's blacked out for us to make us watch it on the Super Station. Go figure. :nono:

9. SNT

SNT AllStar

Mar 9, 2004
    Except for people like me. I am a huge Yankees fan living in Florida. It is just not worth paying for MLB EI when you will get less then half of the 142 games that are on the competitors EI package for the same price. I just don't understand how Dish gets away with charging the same money for a lot less content.

-SNT

10. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    Looking at the Dish EPG I see 2 of the same Reds/Brewers games on the ALT's, who does that serve? Locally FSN-North is not televising tonights game.

11. KyL416

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    EDIT: The Reds territory extends beyond the reach of FSN Ohio, the alternates were for FSN South and FSN Midwest, who also have partial coverage in the Reds territory.

12. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    why does 2 ohio feeds still exist on dish and directv? that never made sense to begin with, but no with the indians gone, it's no longer needed.

13. KyL416

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    I think there still might be other variations, specifically Hockey games and Basketball games, since the seasons overlap.

There's times where the main Cleavland feed could have a basketball game, while the Cincinnati feed has a Reds game.

14. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    well that's what the 8 alt channels are for.

No reason why ohio should have 2 dedicted feeds while the rest have to use the alts

15. KyL416

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It might have something to do with the terms in the existing contract they made when they agreed to carry FSN Ohio back when Cablevision owned it. It could have been possible to put the Cincinnati games on an alternate back when they had the rights to the Indians games as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.