1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They did it again to us Wisconsin Fan!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by boelters, Nov 22, 2008.

1. boelters

boelters AllStar

Feb 10, 2008
    For the second time this year, Directv shut down the feed to the Wisconsin football game before it was over. Directv blamed the Big Ten Network for the problem. Fortunately I found it was still being broadcast on the SD channel.

This is very frustrating!

I have a call in to the Big Ten Network to ask if they did shut down the HD feed to Directv.

2. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    As soon as the Illinois @ Northwestern game went final they switched to the Wisconsin game on Channel 610 BTN in HD.

3. Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    Yeah - I immediately flipped to 610 when that happened.

4. digdug73

digdug73 Cool Member

Aug 18, 2007
    wtf!!!!

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I'd recommend sending an e-mail to the ellen.filipiak@directv.com address and nicely and calmly bring this issue up to them. I've had this happen to me on the part time HD channels on other channels/packages like MLB-EI HD feeds. They really need to have a human actually verify that a game is ended or still going before allowing the computer to shut things down.

6. boelters

boelters AllStar

Feb 10, 2008
    I switched over to 610, but did not see the game on that channel.

Why don't they let the game finish on 609-1?

I talked with my Mom who has Charter HD and they did not have any problems.

I like all the cool technology things Directv is doing, but I wish they would go back and work on the basics so that we could watch games from beginning to end.

7. Fab55

Fab55 AllStar

Jul 25, 2008
    It looks to me more of a Big Ten problem than D*. On cable systems, they only get the one Big Ten network feed. When the Other game ended on the main channel, they switched over to the Wisconsin game. On cable, I'm sure they didn't miss a thing. Yeah, it sucks, but at least with D*, you get the option to watch whatever game you choose, not just the one the provider chooses to broadcast. Just would have been nice to know that you could also switch over to 610 to see it.

8. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    They want people to watch the game on 610? Who knows. ESPN 2 ran the beginning of the Pitt - Cincinnati game on Classic and shifted it to the Deuce late in the first quarter (if it wasn't the end of the quarter). For whatever reason, they showed bonus coverage of the Boise State game.

9. Fredfa

Fredfa AllStar

Mar 27, 2003
    (Maybe the Big Ten didn't want folks to see Cal Poly almost beat -- bit still embarrass -- the Badgers.)

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    There was a big DirecTV icon on 609-1 when I tried to watch the ending of the Wisconsin - CalPoly game. Easy enough to switch to SD, but couldn't the icon indicate where the game was being carried rather than just advertising DirecTV?

I'd blame DirecTV for this small fiasco.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I agree. DirecTV is most certainly at fault for this. They even went as far as to hack into DISH Network's operation and cause the BTN feeds on DISH Network to go to a DISH logo there. Is there no end to what DirecTV will do to mess around with people's satellite TV?

Seriously. The feed ended. BTN turned it off. Perhaps BTN should handle "end of game" situations better and allow the game on an alternate feed to continue until the game (and any postgame) actually ends or the alternate feed is needed for the next game. But they didn't.

(The only other way I can see DirecTV and/or DISH fixing this is to mirror the main BTN feed on all of the alternates when the alternates are cut off. That would assume that when an alternate dies the game is going to the main channel. If the game moved to another alternate you would be out of luck. The #1 way to fix the problem is to have BTN *NOT* turn off alt feeds until after the game.)