1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

they just won't listen!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by kdebello, Aug 25, 2008.

1. kdebello

kdebello Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Yet another service nightmare. We switched from a HR10-250 to the HR20-100 about 6 months ago. Terrible install with wires hanging over the roof and just a mess...but it worked fine. That receiver had a card issue a month ago and we were sent a HR21-700. We have since had an intermittent 771 error. It happens at about once a day and all we have to do is reset the receiver and everything is good again.

After 2 missed appointments, the tech that came out today, says it is a line of sight issue. I've been a Directv customer for 7 years and have never had a line if sight problem except for the 119 sat, but that has been solved. A 771 error came up while he was here. I showed him that every transponder on every sat that we get shows a great signal. Still, there's a 771 error. He say line of sight. I reset the receiver, the channel that the error was on now has a great picture. Every channel I go to comes up fine. He says line of sight.

Then he changes his tune a little and tells us that the person who did the original install must come back or they will get some sort of "back charge", and won't do any work today. He even had a receiver for us, but wouldn't take it out of his truck.

We've been on the phone for over 2 hours with DirecTV and we're getting nowhere except a credit for our time. That's great and all, but I even told them that I was willing to pay whatever it took to get this right. They still won't listen.

We are now waiting for a call back from DirecTV. Do you think that will actually happen??

2. Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    Sounds like there is something completely fubar with your dish, otherwise, I would think a service tech would fix the problem.

3. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    It may be a simple alignment issue.

Please post your signal strength readings for sats 101,103c, and 99c

4. kdebello

kdebello Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    UPDATE

They just sent the same guy back over. When I spoke to the supervisor on the phone he said the tech had a receiver on the truck. He comes in and tells me that the problem is that I don't get the 119 sat. I show him that I have a good signal on all sats, including 119. I tell him that I am supposed to get a new receiver and he says he doesn't have one on the truck. He'll come back tomorrow.

signals are
    Sat 99 range from 87-95
    Sat 103 range from 91-100
    Sat 101 range from 92-199
    Sat 110 range from 95-99
    Sat 119 range from 84-93

-Kevin

5. kdebello

kdebello Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    also....the tech claimed that ALL the HD channels are on the 119 sat and because that has the lowest signals there lies the problem.

I told him, and I hope I am correct with this, that the mpeg4 channels are NOT on 119 and that I wouldn't even need that sat here in NJ.

-Kevin

6. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    No problems there.

That is correct.

7. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    What channels are acting up? If its just the newer HD then it could be bad b band convertors... I would try changing out the b band convertors and see if the problem continues.

8. kdebello

kdebello Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    It's not any one channel. Discovery, Speed, TLC, Smithsonian are some of the channels it happens on. We watch mostly HD, but I have seen some SD channels do this also.

The latest is that the tech that came over last night said he would come back today between 4pm and 8pm with a receiver. My wife called to verify the appointment and they had no record of any appointment. They then said someone would be at our house by 8pm. It is now 8:52pm and no one has shown up.

The installation company is called Directech. We called them again a few minutes ago and even though their message says the hours are 8am to 10pm, we also get a message that says we have called after hours.

I guess resetting the receiver once a day, really isn't that bad. :lol:

9. timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2008
    The 771 issue crops up on that model reciever from time to time. A RBR usually clears it up. I've seen lots of posts on the CE forums about it.

DTV is working on the problem and some software updates have worked. You can either join CE and try a beta software or be patient and wait for DTV to fix it that way.

I doubt very highly that it is a line of sight issue!!!!

Try to get level 2 tech support involved when you call DTV since you are getting the runaround otherwise.

10. putty469

putty469 Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    I have great signals on all sats, but was getting 771's when changing HD channels. It took a long time to tune the channel, but eventually it did load. The tech ended up changing out the WB68 multi-switch, which fixed the problem. Do you have a multi-switch in your setup?

11. kdebello

kdebello Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    good news!!!! A different tech finally arrived after 9pm. He had a receiver and it's an HR22. Set it up last night and so far so good.

Thanks for everyone's input.

-Kevin

12. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I'm glad it ultimately worked out for you. It sounds to me as if the problem could have been bad BBCs (which is assume were replaced with your HR22). But, meh, it's fixed so who cares. Enjoy your HD.

13. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    I have had similar issues but it was an RG5 cable in with the RG6 in a wall... I switched that out and no problem since.