1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about getting Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by samfsu, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samfsu

samfsu New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    I am thinking about getting dish but am a little discouraged by the $400 fee to get the HD DVR. Can anyone provide suggestions? I have one HDTV that I want the HD DVR on then another HD and a SD, perhaps a 4th tv that is SD. Any suggestions to get the most bang for the buck? Would it be better to buy offa ebay?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    You refuse to lease the HD DVR?

3. swissin

swissin AllStar

May 25, 2006
    The HD DVR FOR NEW CUSTOMERS IS $299.00 with 18mos com;)

4. randog311

randog311 New Member

Dec 19, 2005
    I currently have Dir TV HD (H-20 / 3LNB = soon to be 5-LNB) and I am happy with the service.

I had "DISH" for 8 1/2 years and was very Dissatisfied with the Customer Service
    (or the lack there of).

Good Luck with Your Final Choice

randog311 (Denver Area)

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    None of this helps someone who is contemplating an HD DVR. DirecTV is probably the last place that a prospective HDTV DVR customer should consider.

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you have cable available, you could pay your cable company $25/month ($300/year recurring) for an HD DVR and an HD tuner (maybe $7/month less if your non-DVR TV is Cablecard capable). The cablecard scenario would be a win if you were happy (or happier) with the programming value of cable.
    This sounds like a case for a ViP622 and the not yet released ViP222 for $17.98/month.
    You would have to pay for a suitable antenna setup and installation which would add $75 (if you self-install) up to $300 (professional third party four-TV install) to the picture.

7. samfsu

samfsu New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Thank you for the insight. Does anyone have an opinion why dtv or dish would better than the other?

8. hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
    I signed up Friday as a new subscriber. As of that day, 6/9, the 622 is $199.99 with a rebate of $200 ($20 credit/mo. for 10 mos.). 30 day trial. I was given the option of no commitment and I recall the only difference was a $14.99 charge if the 622 needs replacing and a charge for any needed service call.

I already have Directv TiVo and will keep for now so I can compare. Dish currently has the advantage since they are adding more HD channels.

9. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The only opinion that counts is yours. We can provide you with lots of information, but your shoes don't fit us.

When I made a decision, I took the channel charts for D*, E* and Comcast and created a table. I went through and highlighted all of the "must have" and decided which plan from each distributor was my best match. Using "would be nice" and financial comparisions, I made a final decision.

Currently the situation is a little different because there is such a disparity between the players with respect to HD programming and viewing. If HD isn't in your wildest dreams for at least two years, this is a non-starter issue.

Don't forget to factor in commitments: cable is typically 12 months, Dish is 18 months and DirecTV is 24 months. Most have thirty day trial promotions going at the moment.

If you can be significantly more specific about your personal criteria, we may be able to help you fill in some of the blanks. General programming categories and home theatre capability are a good place to start. Availability of OTA signals may make a difference too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.