1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking About Leaving Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by olguy, Jul 16, 2009.

1. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    I have searched and can't find what I'm looking for. My Dish HD DVRs will allow me to record 2 satellite channels and 1 OTA channel while watching a previously recorded program either form the DVR or the EHD. Is this possible with a Directv HD DVR? I spoke with a person at the Directv signup phone number and he didn't know.

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    The current DIRECTV DVRs are only capable of recording two programs at one time... either 2 Sat or 2 OTA... or a combination of 1 each. You could technically be downloading an On-Demand program at the same time as well (networked receiver required), but not quite a "third" tuner.

And you would be able to watch back a previously recorded program even while the receiver was recording two other programs.

3. Max Mike

Max Mike AllStar

Oct 18, 2008
    Think about it hard before you change. Unless you have to have Sunday Ticket or are huge in to sports DirecTV at this point is a step down for most HD customers. Also DirecTVs DVRs are not nearly as user friendly as Dishs and a lot buggier.

I had Dish last year and switched and have regretted it ever since.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    One persons opinion. I'm not a sports fan, I don't subscribe to any of the sports packages, and I am very happy with DirecTV. I can't compare, because I have never used Dish Network.

As far as HD channel count, it keeps fluctuating. DirecTV was the clear leader for awhile. Dish is catching up and having their moment now. After the next satellite is launched (D12), DirecTV will take the lead again. And so it goes. Whichever service you have, you will end up with a comparable channel count sooner or later, it constantly changes back and forth by a channel or two. Also look at the qulity of those channels, the amount of compression used to get the channel count, and most importantly, are the channels you actually watch part of the package you would subscribe to?

Good luck. I'm sure you will enjoy whichever service you end up with.

5. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    I switched from Dish 2 years ago and have never looked back. Yes, some DirecTV receivers need to have some items addressed. That's a fact. But overall, I would never go back to Dish..

My H20-100 (non-dvr) worked well. It's now in another room. I have a HR23-700 and it works OK. Once I have some time to explore it's functions, I see if it's a good fit for the CE area.

BTW, No NFLST, no extra sports packages, no HBO, no Cinemax, no Showtime. Just the extra choice package, and HD service.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'd like to provide a little more detail about this:

DIRECTV doesn't support portable archiving with external storage solutions per se. Actually, DIRECTV doesn't officially "support" external storage solutions at all (but provisions are built into the DVR and many have used it successfully). Connecting an external drive for the first time gives you a brand new DVR with no recordings nor recording preferences. The drive is "married" to this DVR and is not usable on any other DVR without reformatting (losing everything).

While using an external drive with the DIRECTV DVR, the internal drive is disabled. When the external drive is removed, everything will be as it was when the external drive was added (including all your old recording preferences). Likewise, plugging the external drive back in usually picks you up where you left off with it.

DIRECTV HD DVRs don't include OTA tuners anymore but an external slab that sits atop the DVR is available that will give you two OTA tuners. Now that the DTV transition is mostly over, this solution is pretty workable unless you have stations available from more than two markets (it is limited in software to two zip codes and cannot do a blind scan for stations). It is important to note that the DIRECTV OTA tuners always come in pairs versus the single OTA tuners used in DISH's lower-end models.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Given the HD offerings from HBO and Cinemax on DIRECTV, those choices is entirely understandable.

8. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I think your question was answered, but as was mentioned there are several things to consider. May I ask the reason you are wanting to switch to D* and what type of programming you currently have?

I'm one of the sports lovers, so that is the main reason I chose D*. I liked the E* DVR's, because of the PIP feature. They just didn't have as many HD RSD's to feed the NHL CI package that is important to me and no NFL ST.

9. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for all the comments. Some good information here. It was just a thought to save some money for a year because the same programming (almost) is less expensive for the first year. We currently have the America's Everything Pack and I may try to talk her into going lower:lol:. We switched from D* to E* a number of years ago when BBCA stopped carrying Eastenders and she found out she could get them PPV on Dish. At that time we had the little Sony D* boxes and a couple of ReplayTVs. Boy, I miss my Replays. They would network years ago and you could watch the Family Room recordings in the bed room. Anyway, we never had a problem with D*, other rhan losing her Eastenders. And in the years we've had E* the problems have not been many. A couple of replaced DVRs. And I learned how to unplug to reset :p

harsh, thanks for the EHD discussion. I recall having read a while back that the internal HD would be shut down if using an EHD. That's not too bad except the part about the EHD being married to that particular receiver. And as I understand it now if you get a replacement receiver it will reformat the EHD. I use a couple of EHDs and move them between the DVRs.

And with the 2 sat tuners and 2 OTA tuners are you still limited to recording only 2 channels?

Looks like I may be staying with E* if I can't move the EHD back and forth along with only 2 recordings at the same time.

Again, thanks for the good information.

10. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Correct. Even though you would have 2 OTA and 2 Sat tuners, you are still limited to only recording two programs at a time. And the EHDs cannot be moved between receivers.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)

11. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    If you figure that out, please let me know how.

12. fl panthers

fl panthers Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    :lol:

13. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    That was just guy talk, don't you know? I haven't stayed married 51 years by talking her into anything very often. :lol:

14. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    30 here, same thing.

15. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Nice thing about EHD on directv is that it is recorded to directly.. with a 1tb drive you won't have to worry about overflow.. You don't need to copy stuff off to make room..

16. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Funny.

My experience could not have been more exactly the opposite.

17. denvertrakker

denvertrakker Legend

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    +1 here. I'm about 14 months into D* after giving Dish the boot, and I'd never go back. If the choice was between Dish and no TV, it would be no TV.

Dish just got hit with a $6 million dollar fine for deceptive practices and lousy customer service (one of the reasons I left) and is about an inch away from losing their DVR technology. I'm not a fanboy, but D* is WAY better.

18. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Count me in as one that will be leaving Direct. I'm tired of fighting with the slow unresponsive HR21-700, and if I never see a skip-to-end without actually wanting that to happen, again it will be too soon.

I'm back on Dish and will keep Direct for a few days or weeks while I enter all the timers into my new 722k dish HDDVR. Faster, responsive to the remote, PQ is fine if a bit different and programming I watch is the same on either.

I like most things about Direct, but I don't like the HR21-700 at all.

19. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I am a bit annoyed by their current advertising that claims more HD and better HD. By any count you can make, DTV still has more sheer HD channels and more sheer HD programming, and even more popular and more-viewed HD programming (not even including RSNs, where DTV is much superior in HD). Their claim of "better HD" is questionable as well, since both get it from the same source and both use a very similar application of H.264 to process it. DTV has more bandwidth and probably more bandwidth per channel available, so if anything, they probably compress less with fewer artifacts. If someone commisioned a double-blind test regarding HD quality, there would not be a clear winner at all and DISH would be forced to zip it.

I also think that advertising 1080p is both snake oil and a misdirect from the fact that they don't really have anything uniquely superior. Both DBS vendors have it, both have it only on download, most subs can't even decode it as true 1080p, it's 1080p24 and not 1080p60, and even if it were, there is very little visible benefit if any at all.

I'd love to see the feds nail them for all of that. DTV's print and TV ads seem clever compared to the flop-sweat laden claims by DISH. It's as if you can just lie as much as you want and expect it to be swallowed whole anymore.

20. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Interesting thread!
    One year ago this would have been a Slam Dunk thread full of "moving to D* is a good idea replies". I would have never guessed in a million years that one year later D* would be lagging E* in HD content and still have a better DVR to boot.

While I personally would never move to E* simply because I am not very impressed with there picture quality, I can see how people who are not as fussy about PQ would leave D* simply to get a more reliable and versatile DVR.