1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thinking about swithcing from cable...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by shaun5, Jun 11, 2009.

1. shaun5

shaun5 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    I've searched and can't find define answers to my most basic of questions...

I'm going to keep my cable (Comcast) for internet access and VOIP (Vonage). If my wife can find a acceptable place for the dish and we don't have to have my house torn up, I want to switch. My house has all underground utilities. Coax cable is run from each room to a box outside my house.

1) If I want 3 (maybe 4) HD DVR's, can the dish be pole mounted and be directly connected to the 3 (4) runs to each of the rooms at the same box on the side of my house?

2) Do you need a phone jack next to each receiver? No location has a phone jack anywhere near and only one location has internet... I'm not even sure if the phone jacks are terminated (they have never been used - We use one wireless phone base connected to the VOIP for the whole house.)

3) The possible 4th location currently shares a homerun coax cable via a splitter. Can two receivers use just one cable?

4) On the Comcast DVR you can record two live HD programs and watch a third from a recording. Will a Dish or Direct DVR do the same?

5) Anything else I need to know?

2. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    1 If the cable is RG6 they can use it if not they will run new cable, not a problem
    2 You only need a phone jack for pay per view. You can use a internet connection.
    3 They can use a single wire setup if needed. They will run new cables if they have to.
    4 Yes

3. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    You'll only get an offer for 1 HD DVR. You can get more but you'll have to push the CSR and you'll have to put down $200 for each one.

A SWM system will do 4 DVRs on single lines but the SWM readiness is sometimes off at the local HSP.
    You can look into a local retailer who could be better at guaranteeing you the setup you want.

4. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Most likely you will get a SWMLnb with your install and you would be able to run all 4 dvrs using a single cable from the dish to a 4 way splitter and then to the receivers.

No phone needed on the HD-DVRs. The only thing that has to have the phone line on the HD-DVR is caller ID everything else can be done over the internet assuming they are networked.
    Assuming a SWM install you could split the cable between 2 dvrs.
    Yup works fine.
    Something that does come up is the boxes are leased boxes even though you are paying an upfront fee for them. In the end it typically ends up being cheaper because the monthly costs are much cheaper. 1 dvr and HD fee for the entire account and then each additional box after the first is only 5 buck a month more. Much less than the 20 something bucks comcast charges for additional HD Dvrs in my area.

The SWMlnb is some what of a new technology still so it is still not used for all installs. The older tech requires 2 homerun lines per dvr so both tuners will function but since the dish only supports 4 tuners (2dvrs) with out a multiswitch you are very likely to get a SWM setup. The only other thing to note is that a SWMlnb only supports 8 total tuners so maxes out at 4 dvrs. Anything more requires a different setup or multiple dishes.

5. shaun5

shaun5 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    I'll have to check, I'm not sure if it is RG6 or RG59. I am 60% sure it is RG6. Will RG59 simply not work? For me running cable or phone is probably a deal killer, just because I don't think it can be done well easily (without at least some drywall work..)

How can I ensure I get a SWMLnb? How do I find out if it is on at my local HSP (whatever that is)?

Where is best comparison of dish vs. direct? The dish website really made it seem like you could record/watch one HD feed and the second would be SD, but I guess I missunderstood?

Only one box is near an internet connection, is internet / phone only used for pay per view / VOD?

I am wanting satellite because I think I will have improved HD service and picture quality. Am I wrong? My comcast really seems to be struggling on bandwidth.

6. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    RG59 should work fine for SWM but it is best if you have rg6 for the run that leads to the Power Inserter but that can be anywhere.
    HSP- Home Service Provider, eg the local installer. Ultimately the installs specifics are generated by an automated system and dependent on availability but you should get a SWM install. The only way to guarantee it is to buy the hardware yourself a head of time.
    Most of dishes dual tuner boxes are also dual output boxes (eg they can show 2 different things on 2 different tvs from 1 dvr) but the second output is always SD only. You don't have to run a second TV off these units but the way Dish does it's accounting having 4 of these boxes does cause some issues because they want to assume you have 8 tvs at that point. The VIP612 is dual tuners but single output dvr for just a single HD tv. This is what you'd want to get if you went dish.
    It doesn't require a network connection or phone line. Either one allows you to order PPV directly from the box but you can always order it over the phone or online so it is just a convenience thing. A network connection allows you to do the Download on demand. Stream things from a compatible server to your receiver and from the press releases they are working on Multiroom viewing (streaming from 1 dvr to another).
    DirecTV should have high quality HD. Generally speaking FIOS is the only other service that is as good or better than DirecTV.

7. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    It may or may not. I've had it work with SWM just fine but it is a YMMV case. HSP tech won't use it though afraid of back charges.

Quite hard, in your case the computer should generate a SWM work order but after that it's up to the HSP and the tech.

The dish dual TV IRDS have one HD and one SD output

8. shaun5

shaun5 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    FIOS is not an option here. Anyone care to compare Direct vs. Dish?

If I do buy the hardware to make sure I get everything I want/need to minimize the impact on my house, where should I get it?

I greatly appreciate everyone's time and input!

9. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Any comparison between Dish and DirecTV will be very subjective. There is a list around with a comparison of HD channel count.

Remember even at best buy you are not 'buying' just a lease down payment is made.

The current model to get is the HR23-700. Though supply in retail might be limited.

10. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
  11. shaun5

shaun5 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Is there any difference in picture quality between the two services?

What about the HR21pro? Where can you buy (not lease) the equipment?

12. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    HR21 Pro's are 400 on solidsignal. Might be cheaper on fleabay.

I've seen E* and D* side by side, IMHO D* was a bit better but the O in IMHO is a very very bold one.

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Evaluation of picture quality is also quite subjective. I think you can find people who indicate a preference both ways (Dish and DirecTV). For the most part, you will probably find either to be satisfactory. A lot has to do with proper setup of your TV. An improperly aligned/calibrated TV won't look good no matter how pristine the signal going to it is.

You can buy (to own) HR20/21/22/23 as well as the HR21-pro. You must buy them from DirecTV (only), and the price is substantially higher than the up-front lease cost. There has been much discussion of buy versus lease, and most people find the lease model to be okay. There are advantages and disadvantages both ways. From a cost perspective, leasing is more cost effective.

14. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    DirecTV uses the full 1920x1080 for their HD channels. Dish downsamples them to 1440x1080. So DirecTVs channels should be a higher resolution but it isn't always noticable.
    http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SL5-SWM

or

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SL3-SWM

depending on where your sd locals come from +

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SWM-PI

would give you everything needed to ensure they could do a SWM setup. The dish is the same so they lnbs are an easy swap. Odds are pretty high that you will get a SWM setup anyway.

15. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    The HRx DVRs will work with wireless but not the best for MRV.

The cable got there the first time so a new run should not be that hard, if needed they may be able to use the old cable to pull the new wires.

16. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    If you're a sports fan you'll want to go with Directv. Otherwise, do a comparison of both services channels and packages and choose the one to your liking. Everything else is pretty much a draw at this point.

17. putty469

putty469 Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Maybe take a trip to a local satellite dealer or BestBuy and sample both DVR's. Many people get quite attached to their version of a DVR, so you may find that you like one more than the other.

18. shaun5

shaun5 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    The resolution difference made my decision easy. The only thing left is to agree on a location for the dish with my wife. I don't think I want it on the roof and that really only leaves the front of the house in a mulch bed.

What clearance do I need around the dish?

It looks like the dish almost sits at a 45 degree angle. How close to the ground can I mount it?

Should I go ahead and put a pole in the ground?

I can't find on the directv site the place to buy equipment vs. lease....

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

19. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    The front Line of Sight needs to be clear. The angle depends on your location. Theoretically you can mount it as low as you want and still have clear LoS. Keep in mind someone or something walking in the LoS can block the signal too so mounting it higher up isn't a bad idea.

As far as mounting the pole there are a couple factors.

1) you need to make sure you have LoS to the sats. www.dishpointer.com can help with that. Select the Directv sl3 from the drop down list in the multi-lnb section.

2) The pole needs to be 2 inch outer diameter which is not a size you can usually find at your local hardware store.

Lease is the norm. Buying is primarily for commercial customer. It is possible to buy but you do have to jump through a bunch of hoops and will end up paining a lot more for the receivers, won't save any money on your monthly bill and probably won't recover the additional cost by selling them when you are done with them. There really isn't any good reason to buy the receivers at this point.

20. shaun5

shaun5 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Do I need LoS on just 101 or 99 to 119?