1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of coming back

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by lgb0250, Sep 17, 2011.

1. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Background: I've been with D* twice now and with E* once before.

My contract period with D* this time is ready to expire in a couple of months. Looking at the HD content of both providers it appears E* has more of the shows we are interested in. We're not big sports watchers and that appears to be D*'s major advantage.

What we do love about D* is the MRV capability and the YouTube integration in their DVR's. My wife is into quilting and there are tons of uploads on YouTube for her. The problem is that it appears that E* still doesn't have anything like MRV and there is an additional up front cost and monthly fee to get the Google TV in order to watch YouTube.

Other than the new customer benefits, which definitely makes economical sense, what benefits does E* have over D* in making a decision whether to switch or not? It's hard to keep up with all the changes that go on and that's why I'm asking for your help. Thank you in advance.

2. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Dish is on the verge of a whole house solution, but being new if that is so important to you, I would not jump until it is shown to be working well.

As for You Tube, I have one a one word answer, "Computer."

I have to be honest, I think too many are focusing on the least important things. You said it, Dish has more of the shows in HD, and sports is not as important to you. Assuming receivers for each provider work well (they do) and service is at least somewhat equal (they are) then that should be your guiding force. Just my opinion, YouTube shouldn't be a huge enough deal to make you decide on, since there are other alternatives that the users go to for it. (computer/cell phone/BluRay player/Roku etc...) My usual answer is if you are happy don't switch. You seem to indicate programming is better enough on Dish to switch. If so, go for it. Whole house etc... will come at some point.

3. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I too really like D*'s youtube integration. It works very well. However, my blu-ray player does it even better. A decent universal remote makes using youtube and satellite pretty seamless anyway. I switched from D* to E* for more HD content and haven't been disappointed. I also miss D*'s MRV, so I'm anxiously awaiting E*'s solution. Like tampa8 said, if MRV was a must have, I'd wait a few more months before switching until E*'s is widely available an proven to work.

4. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately my current Blu Ray doesn't support YouTube so I'll have to purchase another one of those I guess. Why sit at a computer to watch it when you can watch them on the big screen? My contract isn't up with D* until January. Does anyone have a reliable time frame of when E* might roll out a MRV type of program? Thanks for the replies.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003

What is your rush? If your current contract dosen't expire till 2012 you have plenty of time. You don't want to switch until "MRV" has at least 12 months of history to get bugs out.:)

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There has been NO MENTION of a DISH Network MRV program. The recent excitement is over a client-server solution (a DVR that serves multiple TVs) similar to the DIRECTV HR34 (also not to be confused with MRV).

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    "Whole House" means something different in DIRECTV land. In DIRECTV parlance, "Whole Home DVR Service" means MRV (peer-to-peer) which is not the same as everyone else' whole home solution (client-server).

DIRECTV really screwed the pooch by naming MRV something that it isn't and creating this confusion.

8. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Most people (I guess that really means people I know) have their computers hooked to their flat screens now, and use a wireless keyboard......

9. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    That is the way I use my computer. The problem is too many have very limited computers, Laptops IOWs.

I have a nice I7 desktop and a low powered laptop. I use the I7 connected to the HDTV for everything except the one specific thing I picked up the laptop to do.