1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of making the switch to dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by wukilla, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mar 8, 2011 #1 of 26
    wukilla

wukilla Cool Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Hello all,

I'm a directv customer who is interested in making the switch. I have 3 HD tv's one of which I have a HD-DVR on. I love sports but have never purchased any of their packages so that wouldn't slow me down from switching. I have a total of 6 tv's to hook up. The last 3 are of course SD. I checked out the different packages and the top 250 appears to fit my wife and I perfectly. Do you guys have any in site on will dish be able to set me up with a single dish? It appears that they currently have a deal on 3 HD receivers is that the max they will allow me to have for future tv purchases? How is the HD quality these days? I remember reading around that it wasn't to good. Any help would be great!

2. Mar 8, 2011 #2 of 26
    Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Don't care about MLB Network?

3. Mar 8, 2011 #3 of 26
    wukilla

wukilla Cool Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Nope, not a baseball fan like I was back in the day.

4. Mar 8, 2011 #4 of 26
    Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    You said you love sports, why go with DISH?

5. Mar 8, 2011 #5 of 26
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Unless you want something odd or have a line of sight issue a single dish works fine. It will be a three slot dish with a switch built in to the LNB - a direct line will be run to each receiver.

3 receivers is the max that DISH will lease ... if you want to purchase additional receivers you can. Additional receivers will require a change at the dish (as the dish can only feed three receivers). You will need to add a switch to create a fourth feed and a second switch if you need a fifth through eight feed.

The SD TVs will be slaved off of HD receivers requiring a cable from the receiver to the 2nd room(s). You will be able to watch HD or SD channels on the SD TVs - downconverted to SD.

6. Mar 8, 2011 #6 of 26
    wukilla

wukilla Cool Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I love sports, but i've never purchased any sports packages. I don't intend on doing that either. I can spend that money on other things :), I watch everything that comes on normal channels. Any ideas on the other parts? PQ, future HD TV purchases above 3?

7. Mar 8, 2011 #7 of 26
    Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    PQ is generally worse on dish because of lower bitrates for HD strems. Also what sports channel is your RSN? Dish won't likely carry it.

8. Mar 8, 2011 #8 of 26
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    You're just sad. :nono2:

9. Mar 8, 2011 #9 of 26
    Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Just make sure the sports channels that you expect to be carried by DISH are.

No ESPNU-HD, no ESPNNEWS HD, probably no full time RSN-HD.

Just sayin.

10. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    the usual BS about dish

11. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    You mentioned "wife and I" above, so....

It's important to note on Dish ViP equipment both the TV1 HDMI and the Component Video/Optical Audio outputs are "hot" permitting them to potentially feed two HD TV's with the same signal. If normally your household only has two people watching two different shows, it is possible to take care of additional HD TV's with a limited number of boxes though it requires additional wiring.

Also, keep in mind the Sling option when considering buying additional TVs. We have eliminated all TV's but the one in the "home theater." In the office, we watch TV on one of our computers with a 25" monitor. In other rooms, we use a laptop or our iPad.

But, Dish does not offer the multiroom option DirecTV does. They are just different in approach.

12. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    to the OP don't let the DISH bashers stop u from switching
    i had DIRECTV 1 year ago before i switched to DISH and i can tell u DISH 'S HD picture is just as good if not better
    SD is way better

13. wukilla

wukilla Cool Member

Feb 20, 2009
    The extra wiring will be an issue. We have the 6 tv's but not all are always on, just when friends family come over. We entertain quite a bit. I'm trying to make sure I understand the concept of one box running multiple tv's.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Are they showing the same thing or different channels?

While the basic install is single dish ... one coax to each receiver ... one coax to 2nd receiver (not including any OTA feeds). One can get creative, combine the outputs together and create a series of analog channels on one's own in house cable system. Both TV1 and TV2 of each receiver can be separately shared on the "home distribution" output - which comes in handy if a person in the other room wants to watch the same program with the person watching TV1 (a kitchen TV watching the living room TV while getting snacks).

There are always possibilities. I have a single HD DVR feeding every TV in the house. I used to keep TV1 and TV2 separate so my wife could view separate programs (or pick the TV1 RF channel to watch the same) but I prefer single mode to improve recording capabilities (better overlaps). But every TV in the house can see that single receiver output. And that works for me.

Can you give a better idea of where the TVs are located and what will be watched?

15. wukilla

wukilla Cool Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Sure, 3 floors, top floor 3 bedrooms (Master, kid 1, kid 2) The master would have the HD-DVR, kid 1/2 will have SD. Main floor (living room HD Receiver). Basement (Man cave HD Receiver, guest room SD). I would like to watch different channels on all receivers. I really like the idea of having one DVR feed the whole home. I was working the online setup and it appears I would have to purchase the 922, not to big of a deal. It had a setup with a 922 and multiple 222's is that cool or should I call and speak to a rep?

16. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    They don't mean the EI package, the one where you can get any MLB game. They mean the MLB Network, a single channel, and one of the best sport specific channels, devoted to MLB 24/7. DISH don't have it and probably never will.

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A word of caution ... the $199 for the 922 is a "lease upgrade" not a purchase. The receiver would remain the property of DISH, returned to them (with no rebate) if you canceled service. If you want to purchase one it would be more expensive.

From the TVs you listed I suspect one of your kids would share the bedroom DVR, the other would share the living room receiver. The man-cave and guest room would share the third receiver. Shared receivers are not too much of a problem (since all viewing is live) but sharing a DVR can lead to conflicts ... so even though it would mean extra cable perhaps sharing the 922 with the guest room and the man-cave 222 with the kid's room would be better overall. Running an output from all three receivers together then running it out to the three TVs would give you the flexibility of changing what receiver is the SD TV in each room (or all rooms) as easy as carrying around the right remote.

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are also a long list of HD channels that DirecTV doesn't have - the complete channel lineup is more than just sports. DISH happens to have chosen different HD channels to add.

If your life revolves around sports there are choices are to be made - depending on the sport and how one wants to watch it. My favorite is NASCAR ... and DirecTV's coverage sounds interesting with the in car feeds of Jr and three other drivers. But I'm happy with the races as delivered by ESPN, ABC, FOX, Speed, and TBS - all in HD so not having HotPass isn't a big deal.

Having the non-sports networks is nice ... and it all comes down to what the individual wants.

19. wukilla

wukilla Cool Member

Feb 20, 2009
    So I would have to actually run additional cable for each room or use the existing connections in each room? Also, if I don't go with the 922 will the 722 satisfy my needs? It sounds like the SD rooms don't need a box to work which sounds cool but how is it in practice? I'm a sports fan but not a fanatic, I can get by just fine with the fox, espn, tnt showings.

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It depends on how the rooms are wired. If you have cables that go from every room to a central location you can usually route the output signals and mix them as needed.

The things to remember are the satellite signals need their own cable runs from the dish - one feed from the dish cannot feed two different receivers. And the output from the receivers shouldn't be run TO an OTA antenna. If you're using the existing wiring in your house to connect the outputs of the receivers that usually works but try not to broadcast to the neighbors. :)