1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of switching from Comcast to Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by enigma96, Apr 6, 2011.

1. enigma96

enigma96 AllStar

May 22, 2005
    I've had Comcast now for about 3 years. I don't like the fact that they do not have BBC America HD or Soccer Channel HD. And after talking with them it looks like they will not have it for a while. So I am thinking about getting Dish. Everytime I goto configure my setup it says my 4th TV has to be SD and not HD. Why is that? On Comcast and Directv you can have 4 tv's HD, is this not true on Dish? Also when you sign up what HD DVR do they usually give you? So far when I configure my setup it will cost me about $300 is that about right? When I went to comcast I paid nothing..

2. TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    DISH only allows leasing 6 tuners, and 3 HD boxes. Since the 3 HD boxes can be dual tuners, it allows for 3 HD TV's and 3 SD TV's.

Anything over the first DVR (which can be a dual tuner) will come at an upgrade cost (really only applicable if you want additional DVRs). To my knowledge, Comcast currently also charges for additional upfront if it is not a standard installation, but it has been a month or two since I ran the numbers.

If you would like help, just let me know what kind of setup you want and I will see what I can do.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Dish will only lease a total of 3 receivers. You need a receiver for every TV that you want in HD (with independent channel control). Thus, a max of 3 HD receivers can be leased. Beyond that, you have to buy any additional receivers outright, as well as pay for the cost of getting them connected and installed (including additional dish or switch hardware).

Dish will support up to 6 TVs with the least program, but that's using "Duo" receivers, which can feed 2 TVs. The second TV output on a Duo receiver has to be fed via coax, so it is SD-only. So, you can get 6 TVs a signal, but only 3 of them can get HD, with the other 3 getting SD (HD is downconverted).

4. enigma96

enigma96 AllStar

May 22, 2005
    Never mind. Comcast is the better deal then.....